PDA

View Full Version : Shoe insert for under-pronators?

Camping Dave
04-21-2008, 20:04
I have high arches, so I am an underpronator. When you look at the heels of my shoes the outsides wear down more than the insides. Does anybody know a shoe insert specifically designed for underpronators?

The superfeet thread got me thinking about this because superfeet.com says this about their inserts: "All Superfeet products are primarily designed for feet that over-pronate." That got me wondering about supports made for someone like me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kerosene
04-21-2008, 21:11
I have the same problem. I replaced the thin (read worthless) insoles in my Garmont Eclipse boots with the Spenco Backpacker Insoles (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Footbeds%20and%20Insoles/Spenco%20OAS%20Backpacker/Will%20Rietveld/Long%20Term%20Report/) and it has made a world of difference. However, if your feet are unusual then you might also consider a pair of the heat-moldable insoles, which might better match your arch.

fiddlehead
04-21-2008, 22:33
Since the super feet give better arch support than not, they corrected my over-pronating.

If i were you, i'd at least TRY to take any insert out of whatever shoe you are using and see how that works.

of course, going to a podiatrist is probably the best advice if you can afford the $200+ inserts he will most likely try to sell you.

fiddlehead
04-22-2008, 09:06
The OP asked for opinions.
You gave yours. I gave mine.

I spoke from experience for the opposite of under pronatation. It's not hard to TRY to walk without an insert now is it?

I have hiked with a lot of people with foot problems, some have gone to the podiatrist, some have not. Some people like to figure things out for themselves. Sometimes it PAYS to figure things out for yourself. If i went to a doctor for every ailment, I probably would've not had enough money left over to hike.

I would think if he only wanted YOUR opinion, he would've PM'd you instead of putting his problem out on a forum.

mudhead
04-22-2008, 09:18
http://www.competitiverunner.com/faq.html#diff

Some good reading.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/PronationFAQ.html

If you scroll down, you can find some examples of running shoes that may help your gait.

Asics home site has a "bar" with a marker to show how the gait of the shoes matches up.

Translating that stuff to boots...

Good luck.

Camping Dave
04-22-2008, 21:16
Thanks for the replies and links. I think I found the reason stock insoles for underpronators cannot be found on the store shelves at the runningwarehouse site: 20-30% of people have a neutral gait, almost everyone else overpronates, and 3% of us underpronate. I would guess that the market is too small for foot care companies to make special insoles for underpronators. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense for a company like superfeet to make insoles specifically for overpronators. Maybe underpronators need the customs jobs.

Thanks every one for the inputs.

Blissful
04-22-2008, 22:11
I got measured for custom inserts by PT after a severe ankle injury that gave me tendonitis - they made them, spent $300 and the insoles put me so out of whack I had horrible hip pain. The Dr then said sometimes a full correciton isn't the best thing as your body is used to the old. After going through five different kinds of inserts with my Dr., I found one on my own that my feet could tolerate -Spenco hiker insoles.

I honestly think too this also has to do with the kind of footwear. There are specific running shoes, for instance, that an underpronator wears vs a over pronator like me who needs motion control shoes. I would seek out a a professional running shop too that can check your feet and get you into the right trail runners (if you go that route)

Kerosene
04-22-2008, 22:42
Unless you have very unusual feet (as opposed to just high arches), I'd try the heat-moldable solution before I went to the podiatrist. I've gone the $500 custom route, but my feet really didn't need custom inserts. Certainly you don't want to screw up the rest of your body, but you should be able to determine if something is going awry pretty quickly (for me it's my lower left back or my left hip).

le loupe
04-22-2008, 23:04
personally- I spent the $300-500 bucks for the custom made orthotics - easily some of the best money I have ever spent. It eliminated my foot pain and i would recommend them to anyone...

Mr. Clean
04-26-2008, 14:09
I don't know if I under/over pronate, but I have high arches, sole wear on the outside like you, and recently plantar faciitis. I just got the green superfeet at Beans with a new pair of Merrill Photon boots. They hurt for a couple days, and I was getting ready to toss the superfeet, but now they seem to feel okay. Haven't been on a long hike with them yet, but I stand for long periods on cement at work, and they seem okay so far.
Didn't really answer your questions, but I guess I'm saying to try a few insoles if you are hesitant about seeing a foot guy.

Kerosene
04-26-2008, 14:13
They hurt for a couple days, and I was getting ready to toss the superfeet, but now they seem to feel okay.That reminds me, you're not supposed to try to wear new orthotics more than a few hours a day initially.

Mother's Finest
04-26-2008, 15:01
The comments when it comes to orthotics are always funny.

Every person on this earth could benefit from a PROPERLY CRAFTED orthotic. When I say properly crafted, I mean an orthotic that takes into account body weight (or body and pack weight), foot flexibility and activity level.

Meaning that a person that weighs 100 lbs, needs a different amount of support than a person that weighs 200 lbs. A runner needs more support than a walker. The problem with 99% of the custom and over the counter products on the market today is that they do not take these factors into consideration.

I always sound like a shill for this lab, but anyone that is considerding purchasing an orthotic should find a practicioner in their area that can cast them for an orthotic from the Sole Supports Lab. www.solesupports.com (http://www.solesupports.com) for more information.

peace
mf

Mother's Finest
04-26-2008, 15:15
Side note for pronators, over pronators, under pronators and the very rare suppinator.

All feet work the same way. It is a question of degree. Every foot, when the heel strikes the ground, will unlock, and the arch will flex. Some flex alot, some flex very little. The idea of a proper orthotic is to fill that arch and re-distribute weight.

I am a Certified Pedorthist, so working with foot problems is what I do everyday. I have made many many orthotics both fabricated by myself and lab-created.

There is no finer quality product on the market than the Sole Supports orthotic. I have no association with them other than the fact that I cast for their orthotic.

peace
mf

Tinker
04-27-2008, 23:17
I must have the weirdest feet on the planet. They are flat as a board, yet I supinate (under pronate). When the outsides of my soles are completely worn down, the insides are less than half worn. I have had custom orthotics, but when I lost one of them (don't ask), I tried Superfeet and had good luck with them. A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Chaco boots and have been using the orthotic insoles from them since then (they came with two pair).

HikeLite
05-03-2008, 23:53
An underpronator should equal a suppinator. You either step flat, to the inside (pronate) or to the outside (suppinate).