PDA

View Full Version : Fire Danger High in Mass

Cosmo
04-21-2008, 20:22
Monday, April 21 In the wake of a forest fire that burned over 300 acres near Lanesborough's Brodie Mountain Road on Saturday, the state Department of Conservation and Recreation urged fire departments Sunday to stop issuing burning permits immediately. Nearly 189 wildfires across the state torched more than 375 acres on Saturday alone, according to the DCR, and although the agency only View Full Story (http://www.thetranscript.com/localnews/ci_9001853?source=email)

The past week has seen pretty much 100% sunshine. With no leaf cover the forest floor is very dried out, and the slightest spark is enough to set it going. We've already had a fire at the Wilcox South Shelter area in Beartown SF. Fortunately just the leaves and brush burnt, and the shelter and larger trees did not catch this time.

I'm sure other parts of southern New England and NY are probably facing similar problems.

AT campers should not use fires until we get some rain or the leaves come out.

Cosmo

cutman11
04-23-2008, 22:39
I'm planning to section from Kent to N Adams from June 1 to 13. I would assume the leaves would be out by then and water sources ok by then, correct? -- Also (being from NC) would the night time temps usually be around 45 or better by then?

Cosmo
04-24-2008, 07:44
All things proceeding normally, most leaves will be well deployed--except at the very highest areas. Water sources are pretty good right now, they don't start to go until early Fall. Rain is expected Saturday and Monday/Tuesday, so I think things will return to more or less normal by then.

Temps at night are normally above 45 by then too. If this were a normal spring, I's say to expect some blackflies, but with this bout of dry weather, they may be pretty minimal, and probably highly variable by location.

Enjoy your hike,

Cosmo

Tin Man
04-24-2008, 08:11
There was a Fire Danger High warning sign posted at Mohawk Mtn State Forest in Cornwall, CT yesterday. We have not had rain in over two weeks, but like Cosmo said, we are expecting some this weekend.

Chef2000
04-24-2008, 08:24
Plenty of water in October mt state forest right now, and usually is. Last year the source of water for the shelter was good thru October.