PDA

View Full Version : Last minute planning help: Mid May

Emptyman
04-21-2008, 20:28
Hi all.

I will be hiking a section of (hopefully) Fontana dam to Allen's Gap May 8/9 to 20/21, with enormous Kudos to chili36.

Just wondering if anyone has any particular advice for weather, environment, shelters, etc during this time or place. Also, if there are any good places to pick up odds and ends on the way ( food or supplies). What map is best, also.

thanks for your time.

10-K
04-21-2008, 20:42
Hi all.

I will be hiking a section of (hopefully) Fontana dam to Allen's Gap May 8/9 to 20/21, with enormous Kudos to chili36.

Just wondering if anyone has any particular advice for weather, environment, shelters, etc during this time or place. Also, if there are any good places to pick up odds and ends on the way ( food or supplies). What map is best, also.

thanks for your time.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback.

Things that come to my mind right away is that you'll be going through the Smokies and since you don't meet the definition of a thru-hiker for that section you're supposed to make shelter reservations for where you'll be staying each night as you hike through the park. Some info for that is here: http://www.gsmnp.com/pages/hiking.html.

As far as places to stop along the way - halfway through the Smokies at Newfound Gap you can hitch to Gatlinburg which is around 15 miles up the road. Next up is Standing Bear Hostel just after Davenport Gap as you exit the GSMNP. After that is Hot Springs which is not far from Allen's Gap at all. So, you're looking at around a 125 mile hike with Gatlinburg or Standing Bear as your only convenient resupply points. Standing Bear is close to the halfway point BTW.

Emptyman
04-22-2008, 10:39
It looks like the weather is mild enough. But the elevation change between fontana dam and allen's gap - does that mean I need to bring warmer clothes? The historical forecast says it doesn't get too cool - but I wonder if I am safe in leaving my fleece at home. it weighs a lot, and doesn't pack well. Do you think I can go without?
Also, is this trail runner terrain or do I need my UL hiking boots? full rain system or just a poncho? your comments are appreciated.

Thanks again.

bigcranky
04-22-2008, 13:06
The historical forecast for where? The Smokies can get pretty chilly in May - much colder than the nearby towns. We had mid-40s and sleeting for a week in June a couple of years ago at Newfound Gap, while it was sunny and 70 in the valley. Figure you'll easily get into the 40s at night along the ridgelines. Probably up near 65-70 during the day, on average. I would bring an insulating layer of some sort.

Trail runners are fine. Poncho is probably okay (if you have some experience using it in bad weather.) I take a Precip jacket and Golite Reed pants, except in July and August (and even then, depending on the forecast.)

You might stop at Standing Bear Farm, a couple of miles north of Davenport Gap, just outside the park. There is a hostel, some provisions, and it's possible to get a ride to town for supplies. That's probably the easiest resupply (he'll take a mail drop, too, I think.) It's possible to hitch from Newfound Gap into Gatlinburg, but please don't do that. Your opinion of the USA will only suffer.

Emptyman
04-22-2008, 15:57
"Your opinion of the USA will only suffer"
Oh, don't worry about that, Ken. Canada is never too different or far behind, my friend.
But I can appreciate the note.
So, maybe the fleece insulation is needed, then. Hmm.
OK, we'll see. thanks for the input.

rob

bigcranky
04-22-2008, 16:15
Right, you'll bring the fleece and endure a freak heat wave. Can't win. <grin> Seriously, though, at the very minimum I'd have my wind shirt and a down vest.

Gray Blazer
04-22-2008, 18:51
About 18 years ago there was a huge storm in May that left several feet in NC Mountains. There was still snow on Mt Pisgah in June that year.

I guess what I'm saying is watch the weather. Be prepared.

Emptyman
04-22-2008, 21:33
Consider myself warned. Fleece will come.
One other thing: what is the best map to buy for this section? And, is there a map that I can purchase somewhere at entry, or do I have to order it via mail?
Thanks

Gray Blazer
04-22-2008, 21:47
Most outfitters have the AT guide books for each state.
Get the NC/TN book.
Store at Allen Gap has been closed for a long time.

Blissful
04-22-2008, 21:59
One other thing: what is the best map to buy for this section? And, is there a map that I can purchase somewhere at entry, or do I have to order it via mail?
Thanks

You can order maps here (http://www.atctrailstore.org/).

bigcranky
04-23-2008, 10:42
The National Geographic map of the Smokies is good, and it came with my guidebook set. (But it's available at any local outfitter by itself.)

I have a spare that I will mail you if you PM me your address.

Emptyman
04-24-2008, 12:58
Thanks, Ken, but I already ordered a map. It would have been nice.
Couple other questions: do I need sunglasses and sunblock? I wear a large Tilley cap most of the time. I find most forest hiking I don't need 'em, but I wonder how much clear space there will be in this section.
Someone mentioned Standing Bear as a possible mail drop. Any one know the mailing address there?
thanks again!

Blissful
04-24-2008, 13:03
Thanks, Ken, but I already ordered a map. It would have been nice.
Couple other questions: do I need sunglasses and sunblock? I wear a large Tilley cap most of the time. I find most forest hiking I don't need 'em, but I wonder how much clear space there will be in this section.
Someone mentioned Standing Bear as a possible mail drop. Any one know the mailing address there?
thanks again!

Sunblock yes. Sunglasses not needed.

4255 Green Corner Rd
Hartford, TN 37753

greentick
04-24-2008, 13:19
Consider myself warned. Fleece will come.
Thanks

This is a good current conditions link

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/MRX/RTPMRX

If you correlate with weather.com you can look at how things will trend

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/TNNPGRSM:13?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

Emptyman
04-24-2008, 17:14
thanks, Greentick and Blissful, for ever-helpful links and info.
blissful, is that address, Standing Bear - how far off the trail is it?
Thanks

greentick
04-24-2008, 17:21
Not far.

http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/

Emptyman
04-24-2008, 17:42
hey guys: how many days (average) beteen fontana dam and ..
newfound gap,
then standing bear,
then hot springs?
trail miles do not always correspond to average days- especially in the hills.
thanks

Jack Tarlin
04-25-2008, 04:29
*Most folks take six or seven days to get from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap (i.e. a full traverse of the A.T. in the Smokies). Add time if you leave the Trail at Newfound Gap and go into Gatlinburg

*Standing Bear Farm is a few hundred yards off the Trail a couple miles north
of Davenport Gap.

*It takes most folks three days to get from Standing Bear to Hot Springs

Food re-supply at Standing Bear is excellent as is the food selection at Bluff Mtn. Outfitters in Hot Springs.

Emptyman
04-25-2008, 09:08
Jack, thanks for a great answer.
When you say Standing Bear has a great resupply, what does that mean? Is is a full store, or do they just sell noodles? Hot springs?
I only ask because my stomach is picky - I can't eat noodles and nuts, for example.

for all - I have essentially 10 full days. What do you suggest - starting at Fontana and doing a full traverse of the mountains, finishing at Hot springs, or starting at NFG and doing the last half of the smokies, going on through hot springs, and finishing a couple days after that?
Your thoughts are appreciated.
I can't wait!

Hikes in Rain
04-25-2008, 09:18
Me neither. I'm starting at Newfound Gap on the 23rd, so I've been watching this thread intently. Thank you all for the vicarious assistance.

Jack Tarlin
04-25-2008, 09:31
Standing Bear's re-supply is not a full-service store, but it has what hikers like to eat. However, if you're REALLY picky, you might want to send yourself a small food maildrop; just don't send too much as Hot Springs is not that far away.

10-K
04-25-2008, 10:00
When you say Standing Bear has a great resupply, what does that mean? Is is a full store, or do they just sell noodles? Hot springs?
I only ask because my stomach is picky - I can't eat noodles and nuts, for example.

for all - I have essentially 10 full days. What do you suggest - starting at Fontana and doing a full traverse of the mountains, finishing at Hot springs, or starting at NFG and doing the last half of the smokies, going on through hot springs, and finishing a couple days after that?
I can't wait!

I would do Fontana Dam to Hot Springs for a few reasons.

It would be easy to arrange logisitically - arranging a shuttle from either end would be easy and you'd have safe parking no matter where you parked your vehicle.

Also, and this is just a personal thing, but I'd just as soon knock the Smokies out in one fell swoop so I wouldn't have to deal with the shelter reservation system again (Unless I wanted to hike that section again).

Finally, from Fontana to Hot Springs would be a pretty hike. The entire section through the Smokies offers great views and some challenging trails. You'd also get Max Patch and that section of trail which is nice.

The only downside, if you want to call it that, is resupply. Starting at Fontana would require carrying enough food to get to Standing Bear Farm unless you went into Gatlinburg.

I made it through the Smokies in 4.5 days with bad weather and having to stop early in the day because I couldn't get to the next shelter before dark so it's not written in stone that it'll take you a week to get through there.

10-K
04-25-2008, 10:03

I can't wait!

If you could squeeze in 2 or 3 more days you could contemplate going all the way to Erwin but anyway...

I would do Fontana Dam to Hot Springs for a few reasons.

It would be easy to arrange logisitically - arranging a shuttle from either end would be easy and you'd have safe parking no matter where you parked your vehicle.

Also, and this is just a personal thing, but I'd just as soon knock the Smokies out in one fell swoop so I wouldn't have to deal with the shelter reservation system again (Unless I wanted to hike that section again).

Finally, from Fontana to Hot Springs would be a pretty hike. The entire section through the Smokies offers great views and some challenging trails. You'd also get Max Patch and that section of trail which is nice.

The only downside, if you want to call it that, is resupply. Starting at Fontana would require carrying enough food to get to Standing Bear Farm unless you went into Gatlinburg.

I made it through the Smokies in 4.5 days with bad weather and having to stop early in the day because I couldn't get to the next shelter before dardk so it's not written in stone that it'll take you a week to get through there.

Emptyman
04-27-2008, 21:12
Hey all,

Just wondering, does anyone know if I can have a package of food mailed from Canada? Is that ok, or is that the kind of thing that is OK only if they don't notice? Just curious if I should bank on that or not.

Thanks.

Bulldawg
04-27-2008, 21:25
Hey all,

Just wondering, does anyone know if I can have a package of food mailed from Canada? Is that ok, or is that the kind of thing that is OK only if they don't notice? Just curious if I should bank on that or not.

Thanks.
I'd mail it from within the US just in case. It's not the sort of thing you can have an issue with you know.

Emptyman
04-28-2008, 13:20
well, bulldawg, I wish I had the option of mailing from within the US. for me it is either mail it from canada, or just forget about counting on it.
I may have to eat nothign but granola after restocking at standing bear!?

If anyone has any experience with this please post it.
I don't think I can count on it, anyway. Maybe for treats, but that is it.

thanks

bigcranky
04-28-2008, 13:40
You can drop off the package at the location you intend to pick it up. If you are doing a short section hike (<200 miles), you can probably do this during the shuttle ride.

shoe
04-29-2008, 01:14
I don't know how picky of a eater you are but I just left Standing Bear a few days ago and he had quite a variety of stuff in his little store.
What kinds of food would you be looking for?

Emptyman
04-29-2008, 20:19
Mel -
Well, at the very least like instant granola and spices. I mean, I can live off of that. But my trail staple is actually instant quinoa flakes, since I can't digest wheat. so noodles are out. But I can hope that stuff like dried fruit, granola, maybe some instant refried beans? Let me know, thanks.

Philippe
04-29-2008, 20:48
Mel -
Well, at the very least like instant granola and spices. I mean, I can live off of that. But my trail staple is actually instant quinoa flakes, since I can't digest wheat. so noodles are out. But I can hope that stuff like dried fruit, granola, maybe some instant refried beans? Let me know, thanks.

This is becoming more complicated than is necessary. Standing Bear Farm: 423-487-0014 just call them up and ask them what they have. They are supposed to be nice people, maybe they can help you set something up. Their website is at http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com that may be helpful as well. Good luck, and have a great hike. :)

Emptyman
04-30-2008, 09:03
Phillipe - thanks for that. What do I know? Had no idea I could just call them. duh. Anyway, just did that. Looks like a vegetarian will have a hard time... but I'll manage.
thanks

MOWGLI
04-30-2008, 09:08
Phillipe - thanks for that. What do I know? Had no idea I could just call them. duh. Anyway, just did that. Looks like a vegetarian will have a hard time... but I'll manage.
thanks

If you are a vegetarian, then make sure to stay at Elmer's Sunnybank Inn in Hot Springs. It's right on Main Street. Elmer serves GREAT veggie meals. IMO, this is a MUST stop for vegetarians. :banana
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13304&c=510

Emptyman
04-30-2008, 12:19
Mowgli, that is great info.
Thanks for that. I'll make a note for sure.
--

Emptyman
05-06-2008, 11:58
Hopefully my last question before I go:

What is the status on bugs in the smokies during the period of may 8-20, traditionally?
Thanks for the input.

bigcranky
05-06-2008, 13:09
It can be buggy. Not by Canadian standards, maybe -- the mosquitoes aren't the size of small aircraft -- but the little noseeums and gnats and such are something of a pain. The occasional spritz of DEET helps a bit.

Emptyman
05-06-2008, 19:37
Thanks Ken.
Yes, if you have ever camped in Canada, early summer, you know that mosquitoes have actually, verifiably driven animals insane, and blackflies think that to be swatted at is to start a competition which they egotistically hate to lose before having eaten a solid portion of your exposed flesh.
gnats? no problem.