PDA

View Full Version : Transportation GA/NC

jojo0425
02-02-2004, 12:39
Hi all,

We are planning to hike the entire GA portion of the A.T. in May. Which option would be a better choice for transportation?

1. Driving our car to the nearest town with a car rental service in GA near Springer MT then driving our car and the rental car up to a town in NC near our ending point. Park our car and drive the rental back down to GA and get a transport to Springer Mt.

or

2. Driving our car to the nearest town to our endpoint in NC and hiring a transport to take us back down to Springer Mt.

We want to know which would be more time effective...get a transport from NC to Springer or do this rental car bit with a short transport to Springer from some nearby town? Also, where is a SAFE place to park a car in NC near an endpoint? and finally, What is a good endpoint on the GA/NC line??

We're coming from FL, I've hiked Springer to Neels Gap, but then we were lucky and had friends camping nearby that were able to pick us up at Neels. This time it'll be just two of us.

Thanks for any information.

Youngblood
02-02-2004, 13:34
Don't know which is cheaper but the ATC keeps a list of shuttle providers on their web site: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/cars.html .

Youngblood

max patch
02-02-2004, 14:04
As you know, there is no road access at the GA/NC border.

I would hike 7 miles north to Deep Gap and then hike the blue blazed Kimsey Creek Trail 3.5 miles to Standing Indian Campground. From there it is about a 1 mile roadwalk to Rainbow Springs Campground where it is a safe place to leave your car (for a fee). Rainbow Springs has showers, cabins, campstore, etc. They also do shuttles.

I've left my car at both Deep Gap and Standing Indian on day hikes, but Rainbow Springs would be a much safer alternative. Standing Indian has had reported instances of vandalism in the past.

The other option once you reach the GA/NC border would be to backtrack US76 but again that option would not be as safe as Rainbow Springs.

One last option would be to start in NC and hike past Springer to Amicalola State Park. There is safe parking at the Park.

twilight
02-03-2004, 11:08
Here's what I did! :) I hiked from Winding Stair NC to Springer back in 02. My original plan was to go from Fontana Dam, but I had A time restriction. However, that put me in touch with the Hike Inn, owners Jeff And Nancy Hoch. I made arrangements to stay at the inn, and Jeff shuttled me and Fever(my hiking partner to Winding Stair) and about ten days later he came and picked us up! :cool:

Jeff and Nancy are realy nice people!!!!!!!!!!!! :) And I always recommend them when possible! Phone # 828-479-3677. One thing though, Jeff does not shuttle to the access road at Springer, he will only shuttle you to the approach trail!

Twilight :jump

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2004, 20:44
Jeff and Nancy are GREAT people and will help you in any way they can.

jojo0425
02-06-2004, 11:41
Thanks for the information, it has helped a lot. We're still just beginning our plans.

If we can get a shuttle to or near Deep Gap we will hike south to Amicalola. We think going south will be easier to set up shuttle wise. We have only 6 days to hike, so I don't want to get more than 85 miles from Amicalola.

We're still thinking about where to leave the car, at the park or at a hostel. But we've got time to think and plan and contact some of these great people you've reccommended. Thanks again.

papa john
02-06-2004, 11:51
It might be easier to get a ride to the Standing Indian Campground where you can hike the Kimsey Creek Trail up to Deep Gap. I have hiked that trail several times and it is always one of my favorite hikes.

jojo0425
02-06-2004, 14:56
It might be easier to get a ride to the Standing Indian Campground where you can hike the Kimsey Creek Trail up to Deep Gap. I have hiked that trail several times and it is always one of my favorite hikes.

How long is this trail?

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2004, 15:38
almost 4 miles...tends to be very wet in spring and with the weather we have been having this year ..it very likely will live up to it's name kimsey CREEK trail.

papa john
02-06-2004, 17:43
It can be wet at times as you do follow the creek nearly all the way to the top. But it is a good way to get from a hard surface road to the trail.

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2004, 17:46
I agree it is a good way and a beautiful trail..but in wet weather it can be real wet...and we have had plenty if wet weather this year....

plus it a great place to go digging for ramps!