PDA

View Full Version : Wet cold feet

Elger
04-21-2008, 23:02
I have a pair of Merrells that are great but after crossing several streams last week in North Carolina they did not dry very quickly and my feet stayed damp and wet for days. I am looking for a pair of hiking shoes that combine cushion and support with quick drying ability. Above ankle would be really great (I tend to roll my left ankle) but that would be gravy. Anyone have recommendations?

Thanks.

AlwaysHiking
04-21-2008, 23:18
I gave up long ago trying to stay dry so I figured the next best thing was shoes that would drain and dry out the fastest.

I wear Salomon Tech Amphibians all 4 seasons for that very reason. They don't offer any insulation, but I rely on socks for that. The one thing I've learned is wet feet get cold, dry feet stay warm. If water gets in, and it will no matter what shoe or boot you wear, it has to get out and the Tech Amphibs are the quickest draining and quickest drying of any trail shoe I have ever worn. Combined with wool socks and they dry in 30 minutes or less.

I know they don't fit the bill of ankle support, I tend to roll my left foot too, but I did that even when I wore boots so I'm personally not losing anything by going with such a 'flimsy' shoe. I did have to switch the insoles out though.

Wet is a state of mind, you either mind it or you don't. ;-)

whitefoot_hp
04-21-2008, 23:37
Why not take the shoes off and carry them above the water as you cross the stream???? aint no shoe gonna ford a river and not be wet a while... except a chaco!

Appalachian Tater
04-22-2008, 18:05
On a dry day, if you have dry socks to put on, your feet can stay dry even if your shoes are wet.

JAK
04-22-2008, 18:39
Elger,
I am looking for the same thing. Shoes that dry out faster than others.
Pretty fundamental question. Surely someone must have found something.

JAK
04-22-2008, 18:41
You know what would be really useful would be if hiking shoes and boots and trail runners were listed with wet weight as well as dry weight. My guess is that the ones that hold less water also dry out faster.

AlwaysHiking
04-22-2008, 20:27
Elger,
I am looking for the same thing. Shoes that dry out faster than others.
Pretty fundamental question. Surely someone must have found something.

Techamphibs, I swear by them. :clap

pakratt
04-23-2008, 00:47
sounds goofy-- but I have an old pair of insoles I place inside some ankle high socks to use as a fording shoe.

To dry wet shoes out-- When I hit a town I usually find a discarded newspaper--I have taken the old news paper and wadded several pages up on the inside overnight or even for a few hours. Then first shot in town-- I recycle them

Chef2000
04-23-2008, 05:47
I have been wearing Vasque brand , gortex boots for 15 years now, not the same pair mind you. They r over the ankle boots , which I prefer. The gortex keeps my feet dry no matter what.

Captain
04-23-2008, 06:07
i havent owned a pair myself but my guess would be one of the more expensive kind of hiking boots that have a neoprene lining and THEN all the cushioning and such, are heavier tho i would think but thats a trade for possibly before crossing take off your socks and then after you cross just dump the boots dry your feet and push bandana into the boot to get any remaining drops and be ready to go

budforester
04-23-2008, 15:42
To dry wet shoes out-- When I hit a town I usually find a discarded newspaper--I have taken the old news paper and wadded several pages up on the inside overnight or even for a few hours. Then first shot in town-- I recycle them

I followed- up on a post by Swift, about using a synthetic car- chammois (sp?) as a towel; used it like pakratt's newspaper trick. Stuffed one of these in my boot and it sucked up most of the water, wrung it out and did the other boot. Another pass plus dry socks and the boots were ready to go again.

Blissful
04-23-2008, 16:07
Crocs are good for crossings. Used them in Maine, no problem. Dry real quick too.

My trail runners dried pretty good. Ankle support in a boot is a misnomer I found out. The best ankle support you can get is to strengthen them by hiking (the joggle on rocks and uneven terrain is the best thing for them, akin to a "wobble board" used in physical therapy), stretching your calf muscles if they are tight, and wearing a shoe with a good footbed appropriate for your arch. If the ankle is injured, an ace wrap is better. And use trekking poles for balance.

leeki pole
04-23-2008, 16:30
sounds goofy-- but I have an old pair of insoles I place inside some ankle high socks to use as a fording shoe.

Not goofy at all, I do the same thing with old running shoe insoles and thorlos, kind of like neoprene scuba boots. As far as the newspaper drying, turn your shoes on their side and they'll dry twice as fast. Weird, but it works.

hammock engineer
04-23-2008, 17:45
One thing that works for me in the extreme cold is seal skin socks as a vapor barrier. Yes my feet sweat, but it is a warm sweet. You just need to make sure to air them out a lot. Something that only comes out when it is wet and around freezing or single digits.