PDA

View Full Version : Weather from May-Aug

SkunkleberryFinn
02-02-2004, 13:20
Section hiking Springer - Harper's Ferry in 2005. Leaving in May and Returning in Aug. I was just wondering what the typical temperatures will be. Mostly concerned about the night time. Will I need to worry about 30 or lower?

Thanks alot

The sun will rise tomorrow - who knows what the trail will bring.
-Skunkleberry Finn

Jaybird
02-02-2004, 13:33
Section hiking Springer - Harper's Ferry in 2005. Leaving in May and Returning in Aug. I was just wondering what the typical temperatures will be. Will I need to worry about 30 or lower?

Yo SkunkleberryFinn:

by the way..... love the trail name!

i've section-hiked 3 years in a row in April & May...i dont remember it ever getting below freezing...but, just to be safe carry a 20 degree sleeping bag...you should be fine! (April 23 2003, i was on Standing Indian Mtn @ 33 degrees & 10-20 mph winds...it felt very cold...but warmed up quickly!)

hope this helps....happy hikin'! :p

see you UP the trail!

hungryhowie
02-02-2004, 13:56
Section hiking Springer - Harper's Ferry in 2005. Leaving in May and Returning in Aug. I was just wondering what the typical temperatures will be. Mostly concerned about the night time. Will I need to worry about 30 or lower?

Thanks alot

The sun will rise tomorrow - who knows what the trail will bring.
-Skunkleberry Finn

May in WV is very different from May in GA. But it sounds like you'll be starting in Ga. The chances of encountering freezing and below temps isn't very high. A 30-35*F bag should be adequate for 99% of the nights.

-Howie

Peaks
02-02-2004, 18:27
I suggest that you go to Wingfoot's website and look at his temperature charts. He includes the record low temperatures. So, you should be prepared for those temperatures, or close to it.

Happy
02-03-2004, 00:32
BETTER YET: Check out the past few years history...http://Weather.com/

Happy
02-03-2004, 00:34
I forgot to mention..use Suches, GA