PDA

View Full Version : Looking for light weight boots......

BDinSC
04-22-2008, 09:32
My feet get extremely hot and I am looking for a light weight mid-cut or full boot that will offer more support than my trail runners but without compromising breathability. Can you guys offer any suggestions?

Blissful
04-22-2008, 09:47
Not sure why you would need more support than trail runners. It took me all of a few miles to realize they offer better support because it is in the footbed that holds the foot in place and thus your whole leg. My boots - though quite breathable (and breathable means less support, IMO), caused a calf problem because they did not curb pronation.

The only part of the trail I wished I had boots for was the scree areas in the Whites just because the pointy rocks were so tough and chewed my feet (not for support). Other than that, no problems. And this is from someone who felt they must have ankle support from a torn up ankle a few years previous. (!) My ankles got stronger wearing them.

If your trail runners aren't supporting your footbed, you may be pronating and need motion control ones like Brooks Adrenaline ASR. Check with a running shop.

10-K
04-22-2008, 10:09
If your trail runners aren't supporting your footbed, you may be pronating and need motion control ones like Brooks Adrenaline ASR. Check with a running shop.

I don't know about the ASR's but over the past several years I've bought at LEAST 30 pair of Adrenaline running shoes. Right now I bet there are at least 9 pair in my closet. I run 40-70 miles per week and buy a pair every other month or so. I wouldn't run in anything else.

I can't say enough good things about those shoes.

Kerosene
04-22-2008, 11:44
Take a look at the Garmont Eclipse: A low-cut boot with a solid toe counter to protect your toes (one of the things I dislike about trail runners), weighs about 2.25 pounds. My only gripe is that I think they only come with a Gore-Tex (XCR) liner.

Roland
04-22-2008, 12:25
My feet get extremely hot and I am looking for a light weight mid-cut or full boot that will offer more support than my trail runners but without compromising breathability. Can you guys offer any suggestions?

I bought a pair of Vasque Breeze, a few years ago. They are lightweight and have mesh panels that allow good air-flow. But even with the mesh panels, the boot provides good support.

The Breeze is available in low-cut or as a high-top light-hiker boot. It also comes with or without Goretex. If breathability is a priority, my advice is to stay away from Goretex boots.

EMS has the tall version on sale (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442584329&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302889629&bmUID=1208880384860) now, for $64.

Lack of breathability can contribute to overheating, but it's not the only cause. Friction also plays a part in this. A good insole, with a deep heel cup and good arch support will reduce "foot slop" and greatly minimize heat build-up.

Finding proper footwear can be a frustrating exercise of trail and error. Occasionally, I've been lucky to find a store clerk who really knew their business, and I walked away with shoes that fit like a glove. Good luck with your search.

10-K
04-22-2008, 13:21
I switched from the Vasque Breeze to the Inov-8 Rocklite 390 - http://www.prolitegear.com/inov8_roclite_390_gtx.html.

Much lighter than the Breeze and they're very breathable. I wore them on my section hike last week and love 'em.

(BTW, I got mine at zombierunner.com because I wear a size 13 boot and Prolitegear.com only goes to 12.5)

McPick
04-22-2008, 19:48
I bought a pair of Vasque Breeze, a few years ago. They are lightweight and have mesh panels that allow good air-flow. But even with the mesh panels, the boot provides good support.

Ditto Roland... Prior to purchasing the these boots, I called Vasque. The rep told me that the Breeze is not intended to be a heavyweight, expedition boot. It’s more intended for lightweight backpacking. He said I’d be lucky to get 1000 miles out of them on the AT, especially knowing I was headed for PA… (Good thing I like to dance because you all know PA rocks!)

I picked up my new Vasque Breeze boots in Daleville, VA. (12 wide, no Gore-Tex) and hiked them to Manchester Center, Vt. Sadly, the Vasque rep was correct. My Breeze boots were done for... 922 trail miles and not a blister. Break them in prior to hitting the trail if you can. The higher ankle part of the boots rubbed my ankle bones raw at first.

I loved my Breeze boots, especially during the hottest part of the summer, when the temps were well into the 90s and over 100 degrees (July and August) and would certainly recommend them, understanding their limitations.

Plus I used these Dr. Scholls socks for 5 of the 6 months I was on the AT on '06. http://www.drschollssocks.com/health.html

The package states they are "Diabetes and Circulatory Health Socks."
Odor Resistant, 46% Acrylic, 46% Coolmax poly, 7% Nylon, 1% Lycra. Two pair - $9.50. (After a few days on the trail, you can forget about the Odor Resistant part!)

These socks are lightweight, easy rinse, fast dry, fairly easy to replace at (sorry guys) W-Mart. They are available in the usual styles and all sizes including Men's 13 - 15. Loved em!

Good Luck!