PDA

View Full Version : Ready to eat meals..

ToyYoda
04-22-2008, 11:37
How many of you make ziplock bag meals? or buy ready to eat meals (mountain house, backpackers pantry)? or both? And what would you say the average you spend on one is?

I'm trying to think of side ways to fund my summer trip, and as a chef, could think of a lot of ways to make a lot of these recipes and ingredients better, at hopefully a cheaper cost..

I guess I'm asking is, if they were good and priced right would people buy? It would save the hassle of making them yourself and be nearly as cheap for better quality. Lower sodium, lower fat, just all around better for you and (hopefully!!) taste better.

My brother works in a print shop, I could even design and have him print some packaging. I have them do shirts for me all the time in exchange for beer and pay cost of the tee's. I'm sure I could work something out.

Just trying to get an idea if it would be worth it. I think I might work out some samples and mail them out to a few of you to try in exchange for feedback on how to improve?

envirodiver
04-22-2008, 12:08
I clicked on half the time but it would be closer to 80%, just didn't want to skew the results too much. Probably should have said all the time.

I don't buy pre-packaged. I make my own and freezer bag them. I like doing that, cause I enjoy dehydrating, preparing and cooking my meals.

I'm sure your's would be good, but I'll stick to my own.

jesse
04-22-2008, 13:49
I am a weekend hiker/baclpacker/camper. I make my own. I would never buy those expensive Mountain House (and other brands) dehydrated meals. I also don't eat a lot of processed foods,or eat out.

Going into the food business, is a whole other thing. I'm sure there are regulations, and standards that must be met. I can buy a MH meal for about $6, or I can make the same thing for $1-$2. But I doubt that I can manufacture, promote, and deliver those meals cheaper than you can buy MH.
Trying to do a business on the cheap, would probably cost you a lot of money.

Bob S
04-22-2008, 14:25
You would have to comply with health department regulations (as anyone selling food should) that would make it expensive to start out. I can think of just one regulation that would stop most people. Here in Ohio you need a 3-bay stainless steel sink. (Expensive!) I’m sure there are a lot of other regulations to comply with.

When dealing with food it’s not as simple as just cooking it in your kitchen and sending it out.

Even if you did go the distance in regards to all the health regulations. Being registered with the health department puts you on the radar map and other government agencies will take an interest in you (IRS)

Even if you do all this, no guarantee you will make money. You will have to give a lot of free samples out (mail them and pay for that mailing) to other backpackers to get good reviews of your food. If it’s great tasting food, easy to cook, stores a long tine, has a durable package, has well written instructions that are easy to follow and price completive. You may make money in a few years.

Are you able to build anything? Being in the food industry, any food/ backpacking utensils that you are familiar with that you can make or sell to backpackers that they can’t live without. Selling things like this would keep you under the government radar (unlike selling food) making it a lot easier to sell a few items and actually make money.

ToyYoda
04-22-2008, 15:16
Ok, I'm not trying to incorporate and start a global corporate here.

Actually, I do have access to a very well kept kitchen that would meet any FDA regulations.

I might be young dumb and full of cum but I do have a degree in entrepreneurship (just graduated actually-woohoo for me), despite cooking for a living. So I do know what it would take to start a business. I'm not looking to start a business. I already have one, fully registered and incorporated in the state of MD. I do some light commercial photography, just not enough to quit my regular job. I'm just looking to make some extra cash on the side. Lets not make it bigger than it needs to be folks. So please hold any business advice. Hopefully you wont take offense to me asking this, as I dont mean it like that. :P

Its essentially the same as people building stoves and selling them.. maybe people are just more finicky with where their food comes from, which is completely understandable.

On occasion I sell protein bars I make for me and the other meatheads at golds, and make enough to cover my expenses plus membership, and thought I might expand on that.

And as far as profit, I can get most of everything I need for free, sans packaging and shipping/handling.

I didnt think I would get a huge interest considering the scope of this forum, its not really populated with the mountain house type market. I figured I would take a shot in the dark and ask anyway.

ToyYoda
04-22-2008, 15:16
corporation*

I hate not being able to edit. lol

Bob S
04-22-2008, 15:36
When you sell food to other people you make it a lot more complicated because it is a product that if not handled, and packaged right, it can make people sick.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just pointing out how it is when you play with food.

I personally would not buy food from a backyard cook that was not complying with all health department regs.

You said you have a background in food, come up with a recipe book or pamphlet to sell that serves the backpacker. The great thing about information is that it can be sold over & over. It’s like writing a book, you write it once, and sell it many times over, again & again.

sarbar
04-22-2008, 15:47
I am often asked about wether I'd sell meals ready to go....but this is where I am nervous: the amount of insurance I would have to carry for liability would be scary. If someone got sick from say a bad batch of beans...yikes.

That is where writing books pays off ;) If people make themselves sick by eating 5 year old food it is their own stupidity for being frugal :D

Now for that low fat part? Low fat? Heck no! :D Pour on the fat when hiking! lol....

sarbar
04-22-2008, 15:50
Btw, the poll is a bit off I am thinking. Maybe it should be "Do you buy ready to eat meals?"instead of "Do you buy or make ready to eat meals?"

jesse
04-22-2008, 15:55
corporation*

I hate not being able to edit. lol

$10 donation, and you can.

I don't believe that is a business that can be done small.

What did you mean when you said you could get most of your stuff free?

Heater
04-22-2008, 15:56
Btw, the poll is a bit off I am thinking. Maybe it should be "Do you buy ready to eat meals?"instead of "Do you buy or make ready to eat meals?"

Combine it with a mail drop service.

ToyYoda
04-22-2008, 19:20
$10 donation, and you can.

I don't believe that is a business that can be done small.

What did you mean when you said you could get most of your stuff free?
"mama" lets me use the kitchen for pretty much whatever I need in exchange for a few hours off the clock or whatever she needs done around her house. though sometimes I give her cash for expensive stuff (like when I order chocolate for protein bars), in her 70's she can still throw a plate with the best of em, so I tend to make sure I'm on her good side.

I keep forgetting to donate, I meant to do it the other day. As much $$ as I have saved from the used gear forum its the least I can do.

ToyYoda
04-22-2008, 19:22
When you sell food to other people you make it a lot more complicated because it is a product that if not handled, and packaged right, it can make people sick.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just pointing out how it is when you play with food.

Fair enough, you make some very valid points. Though I still think maybe my protein bars are an option, and probably a better route. They are done, there is no cooking, rehydrating, etc... for you to do, except eat it.

I can at least continue pushing them to the gym guys.

Skidsteer
04-22-2008, 19:29
I keep forgetting to donate, I meant to do it the other day. As much $$ as I have saved from the used gear forum its the least I can do.

Ain't that the truth. The used gear forum on WB is a gold mine for those that pay attention.

hopefulhiker
04-22-2008, 19:42
By ready to eat.. I guess you mean rehydrate and heat...

russb
04-23-2008, 11:47
I dehydrate my own, I also buy some from hawkvittles. If you were to offer something different than I make or can get from Hawk, then I'd try it.

vonfrick
04-23-2008, 12:16
I clicked on half the time but it would be closer to 80%, just didn't want to skew the results too much. Probably should have said all the time.

I don't buy pre-packaged. I make my own and freezer bag them. I like doing that, cause I enjoy dehydrating, preparing and cooking my meals.

I'm sure your's would be good, but I'll stick to my own.

what he said