PDA

View Full Version : Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap...

FIRFTR911
04-22-2008, 11:44
or Hogpen Gap to Neels Gap for a day hike? I'm leaning towards ending at Neels Gap so we can check out the Walasi-Yi Center while we wait for our ride. Is one direction any easier/better than the other. Thanks.

bloodmountainman
04-22-2008, 12:03
Nice and easy ridgeline walk in either direction. You will have to climb out of both gaps. Five and a half miles.

max patch
04-22-2008, 12:08
You can easily and enjoyably kill a lot of time at Neels. Your thot of finishing there is spot on.

paradoxb3
04-22-2008, 12:38
very much agree with max patch. if i had to choose between the two, i'd definately rather wait on a ride for an hour at neels. You can tell from this map/profile that the terrain/elevation change are very similar at both gaps so direction wouldnt really matter much:

http://www.georgiahikes.com/maps/bin/AT_section_3.jpg

bloodmountainman -- this map says 6.25 miles... the site its on also says it was uploaded 2003... maybe its old? (reroutes?)

bloodmountainman
04-22-2008, 12:51
My mistake. I was counting the miles from Tesnatee Gap to Neels. Hogpen is about a half mile north.

gold bond
04-23-2008, 08:57
My mistake. I was counting the miles from Tesnatee Gap to Neels. Hogpen is about a half mile north.

No doubt! I made the mistake after a long, long day of hiking in a hard rain and pulled into Tesnatee thinking it was Hogpen. After figuring out that no my car had not been stolen I still had to get to Hogpen and had to do that climb out....what a day!

Long Island Ice Tea
04-23-2008, 09:08
Try Neel's to cowrock mtn then back--great hike.

Bulldawg
04-23-2008, 09:38
If I were to do this section again, I'd do Hogpen to Neels. Number one because I think the climbs are a bit easier that way, IMO. Tesnatee up Wildcat and back down into Hogpen is a a$$ kicker. Then also since there is something to do at Neels Gap while waiting on a ride.

earlyriser26
04-23-2008, 11:13
On Friday April 17th I hiked from Hogpen to Neels. I would go this way. Slightly less climbing and nice place to stop at the end. Several great views on the way. Cowrock was my favorite. The trail is in good shape and the climbs were not bad. It also finished GA for me. One more state done!:sun

gold bond
04-23-2008, 14:35
If I were to do this section again, I'd do Hogpen to Neels. Number one because I think the climbs are a bit easier that way, IMO. Tesnatee up Wildcat and back down into Hogpen is a a$$ kicker. Then also since there is something to do at Neels Gap while waiting on a ride.

AMEN BROTHER!!! As I said...long...wet...day that day. That was a butt kicker at the end of the day would have rather caught it earlier.;)

auburnbreeze
04-23-2008, 14:52
Great hostel not too far from there! Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. Great place to stay, shuttle service too.