PDA

View Full Version : Lost on a Mountain in Maine

woodsy
04-22-2008, 16:01
Anyone read this book (http://www.donnfendler.com/)?, one of my favorites. It was required reading in school and may still be here in Maine. Inspirational for sure.

zoidfu
04-22-2008, 16:03
No, but I will. Thanks.

wakapak
04-22-2008, 16:04
No, but I will. Thanks.

i second that! thanks for sharing oh-mythical-woodsy! :D

warraghiyagey
04-22-2008, 16:33
Looks like a great read Jennsy. Thanks!:)

PJ 2005
04-22-2008, 17:23
It was required reading for me around 1990 in Winthrop. Good book.

Bluebearee
04-22-2008, 17:59
Donn Fendler still comes into the Park every summer and gives a presentation, I was lucky enough to go last year, he's a very nice man.

Whitey9457
04-22-2008, 18:09
ah good, from the title i thought this forum was made by some poor guy on Katahdin with an iPhone.... but i kinda wish i was lost on a mtn in ME right now

woodsy
04-22-2008, 18:26
Its really a remarkable story for a 12 year old to survive being lost that long when many adults that get lost in the woods up here only make it for a couple days.

emerald
04-22-2008, 19:15
Thanks for the recommendation. It truly saddens me to read nearly every time I visit WhiteBlaze that a particular individual and his entourage would have us believe you don't exist.

I most definitely don't exist and I'm not sure I would want to exist in a world where good people are disparaged relentlessly. Some people ought to be ashamed, but obviously they know not what the word means.

Philippe
04-22-2008, 19:40
It is still in use in the Penobscot, Maine Consolidated School or was last time I knew. I tried to get my 1st Class Scouts to read it before we did the hundred-mile wilderness. Mr. Fendler comes back to Maine every year and tells his story to young people.

You won't hear it too often, but he also did more than his part as an Artillery Officer in the Army during WWII. They really were the Greatest Generation.

vonfrick
04-22-2008, 19:58
Thanks for the recommendation. It truly saddens me to read nearly every time I visit WhiteBlaze that a particular individual and his entourage would have us believe you don't exist.

I most definitely don't exist and I'm not sure I would want to exist in a world where good people are disparaged relentlessly. Some people ought to be ashamed, but obviously they know not what the word means.

well, since you don't accept pm's or emails, i just gotta ask...why?

p.s. i do accept them

woodsy
04-22-2008, 19:58

Donn Fendler still comes into the Park every summer and gives a presentation, I was lucky enough to go last year, he's a very nice man.

It is still in use in the Penobscot, Maine Consolidated School or was last time I knew. I tried to get my 1st Class Scouts to read it before we did the hundred-mile wilderness. Mr. Fendler comes back to Maine every year and tells his story to young people.

You won't hear it too often, but he also did more than his part as an Artillery Officer in the Army during WWII. They really were the Greatest Generation.
Thanks for all of the replies, I've been meaning to mention it for some time now. I would highly recommend it for both adults and their children who enjoy visiting the backcountry, wherever you may be. Donn Fendler is truly an inspiration.

warraghiyagey
04-22-2008, 20:25
Woodrow, I'll definitely be looking this book up as I said earlier in the thread, and thanks so much for bringing attention to it. And for folks who are unaware of the extended good natured fun we've all been having, there truly is a Woodsy, I met him at Pierce Pond this summer, hopefully will again this coming June, he is a great man and we're allowed to have our fun as we will regardless of any curmudgeons sitting on thumbtacks for a life.
Now - with that said - back to the "There's no such thing as a Woodsy' thread and the 'No Such Thing as a Warraghiyagey' thread.
In the HUMOR FORUM - easy to find.;)

emerald
04-22-2008, 20:35
well, since you don't accept pm's or emails, i just gotta ask...why?

p.s. i do accept them

I accept both PMs and emails from many people. It's quite a long list actually.

At one time, I accepted them from everyone. Occasionally I still accept PMs from everyone. It's a way of cutting down on the quantity while maintaining the quality and I mean no offense to anyone.

I have no more time than anyone else and want to be able to respond in a timely manner. I would accept 1 PM from you, since you inquired, if you have another question you would like to ask privately which does not require a book to answer.

Please understand, I may or may not respond, depending on your question. Should you require a book, I have already recommended eArThworm's book list before and do not feel a need to do so again.

warraghiyagey
04-22-2008, 20:52
No PMs necesary. I'm not erudite enough. Don't want to be. Peace

88BlueGT
04-22-2008, 21:14
I wanted to try and buy this book but not sure which one to get. Seems to be a few different authors and few writtin or published at different times. Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lost+on+a+mountain+in+maine&x=0&y=0

woodsy
04-23-2008, 07:49
Do any of them look like this? I think this may be the original but will have to look through my library to be sure.
http://www.johnthurlow.com/donn-fendler/book-excerpt-0.jpg

JAK
04-23-2008, 08:03
Wow. What a find. Thanks. Definitely going to read this.

stumpy
04-23-2008, 11:58
Its really a remarkable story for a 12 year old to survive being lost that long when many adults that get lost in the woods up here only make it for a couple days.

Many times children that age do better than adults. They don't over think their situation. When they are tired, they sleep. When they are thursty they drink. When they are hungry they eat. ETC.

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 00:56
^^^ Thats a good point. Never thought about it that way.

dessertrat
04-24-2008, 09:24
Yes, I read it in school, but then, I went to school in Maine. Maybe it's a local thing.

dessertrat
04-24-2008, 09:28

Winthrop Maine? I grew up in Manchester, one town over. Cool.

imscotty
01-31-2017, 12:10
Article in the Appalachian Trailway News, January 1940 Vol. 1, No. 3

Donn Fendler – Lost on Katahdin:

Just want to let those interested know that this edition of the ATN contains an extensive dissection on the route that Donn Fendler must have taken after he was lost on Mount Katahdin the previous year (1939). For those of you unfamiliar with the story, Donn Fendler was a 12 year-old boy who got separated and lost from his party on the summit of Katahdin and spent the next nine days lost in the Maine woods. The story of his survival was retold in the book “Lost on a Mountain in Maine.”

The article relies on Myron Avery’s intimate knowledge of the trails and terrain around Katahdin to determine what Donn’s likely route must have been. This article may be of interest to anyone who seeks the historic details of this story.

Bluebearee
01-31-2017, 12:22
Is there a live link?

imscotty
01-31-2017, 15:08
Is there a live link?

Don't have a link to the entire article, but I can send you a scan if you like. I will send you a PM later tonight.

imscotty
01-31-2017, 16:41
Bluebearee (and anyone else who is interested), if I did this right, the following link should bring you to my PDF scan of the article.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tva8bvupnf1v0pr/ATN%20V1%20N5%20-%20Donn%20Fendler.pdf?dl=0

I suggest you do a 'Direct Download' from the dropbox. Once you do that you will be able to up the magnification in Adobe and read the text more easily.

Scott

Mike04345
01-31-2017, 17:36
Anyone read this book (http://www.donnfendler.com/)?, one of my favorites. It was required reading in school and may still be here in Maine. Inspirational for sure. Yes I read it several years ago when I was young and I have the book in hard copy. I have read a it a few times now and love the book. Enjoy :)

gpburdelljr
01-31-2017, 20:11
The book is available on Kindle

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Mountain-Maine-Donn-Fendler-ebook/dp/B00DB365QG/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

ScareBear
01-31-2017, 21:22
Very cool!

A book I read when I was a very small boy...5 or 6...was "My Side of the Mountain"...it lit that spark that turned into a fire...just sayin...