PDA

View Full Version : My New Gregory Pack!

X-LinkedHiker
04-22-2008, 19:15
Hey everyone, after searching around for about a month or two I finally bought my pack. This pack is for long distances and basically a minumum of 3 days. I went with the Gregory Palisades 80, and I think it's pretty awesome.

I also bought a waterproof cover for the pack an Eagles Nest hammock along with a few other odds and ends.

X-LinkedHiker
04-24-2008, 11:01
Anybody use this pack or a similar one? There are quite a few loops and mounts I am not quite sure what I should use them for.

taildragger
04-24-2008, 11:05
I use a whitney and I could easily hold gear for 2+weeks, way tooooo much room, but it rides like a caddy

If you're not using the loops, cut em off, save the weight

sherrill
04-24-2008, 11:17
I too have a Whitney. It's heavy, but I tend to carry the bulk as my wife has knee issues so the suspension is key for me.

I did cut off all of the unecessary straps, but only after a few hikes to make sure I wouldn't use them. I would suggest you give it a few goes before you do.

TwoForty
04-24-2008, 12:11
I have a older Shasta which is the same thing as the Palisade and Whitney, but with no extra pockets.I love it, but only carry it in the winter. It's just too big any other time of the year.

Some loops are for ice axes, some for crampons, some for whatever you might want to strap on. It's mainly a climbers pack, and they have to haul all sorts of stuff that won't fit inside.

Summit
04-26-2008, 11:55
You should love and get much use out of your Gregory pack with a little proper care and handling. Make sure it fits properly as there are so many fine tuning adjustments.

I have the Whitney as well and love it . . . my second Gregory pack in a row. I love the volume the pack will hold, which allows me to pack everything inside, rather than looking like a tinker coming down the trail (see my gallery, 1st page bottom row)! :p :)

dessertrat
04-26-2008, 14:49
Buying that pack and cutting off straps to save weight is like buying a cadillac and drilling a few holes in it to save weight.

Gaiter
04-26-2008, 15:48
be careful about cutting off straps, i've got a deva 60, i held off on cutting my straps and i'm glad i didn't, i can carry alot or compress it down to carry next to nothing. gregory's straps can seem a bit excessive, but after a while u'll see they are well thought out

X-LinkedHiker
04-26-2008, 15:50
Yeah, I don't know why somebody would suggest cutting off a strap that might weight a couple grams is beyond me. The pack is awesome, especially when it's on the back. I will also be making useful ways out of it for my bike tour. It's a little big, but I am going cross country, all camping and will definitely need the gear. Just difficult to strap down to a bike rack. He he.

The pack was fitted for me by the store man. I tried on a couple others, but that one was definitely best. I definitely liked it a little better than the Kelty equivalent. By the way, I do climb so the loops will also come in handy, I just didn't know if any of them were specifically designed for certain tools, besides the pole loop straps obviously. I figured it would be stuff from a bener.

sherrill
04-26-2008, 16:11
To be clear, I didn't cut my straps for weight purposes. I found the side pocket straps annoying and after many trips decided I didn't need them. I also trimmed all of the remaining straps to fit because I found the excessive length annoying (too much swinging around).

Anyway, just like hyoh, pyop.

Summit
04-26-2008, 16:14
Does "pyop" mean Pilfer Your Own Pack? Just kidding! :D :p

taildragger
04-26-2008, 17:39
Yeah, I'm gonna cut the straps off not for weight, but because I find them excessive and annoying. That, and since its such a large pack, I can easily fit all my gear for 1.5 weeks inside the pack itself.

Nearly Normal
04-26-2008, 17:51
I've got the Forrester. It is comfortable but heavy by todays gear. Gregory makes good packs.

Wags
04-26-2008, 22:19
i've got the z55. love it. i'm sure you'll be happy w/ it!