PDA

View Full Version : bomb-proof, lightweight trekking poles

clured
04-22-2008, 19:22
About a week ago I found out that I'm getting a grant to go to a 1500-mile hike in Spain next summer; so, all my plans for the PCT have been scrapped, and I've been scrambling to adjust my gear kit accordingly.

I was going to use Komperdell Featherlight's on the PCT, but they are unfit for this new trip because they are fixed length (do you want to go through customs with two spears? No, you don't!), and I'm worried that they aren't durable enough; if a pole breaks in America, you just call up some company and get a new one shipped to the trail. Now, that may be possible in Spain, but I sure don't know how to do it, and I'd rather just use one pair of collapsible, sturdy poles all summer.

So, what's the best collapsible, lightweight, durablepole, ie one that will almost certainly last 3 months of hiking?

Thanks for any suggestions!

hopefulhiker
04-22-2008, 19:26
I would go with the basic Lekii Maliku (sp?).. They are easily fixable and pretty sturdy. I did the thru hike in 05. and made it all the way to NH with a pair.. then had to get another pair but still good poles

Footslogger
04-22-2008, 19:32
Not sure if any of them qualify as "bombproof". Given the right amount of stress they will pretty much all bend/kink or even snap in two. My personal preference is the Leki Makalu Ultra-Lights.

Over a long hike the tips will wear out and occasionally the adjusting knuckles where the pole sections meet will break down. Carry a couple extra tips and a few of the plastic adjusting knuckles and avoid getting the tips stuck in crevaces and most of them will give you good service.

Oh yeah ...and learn how to repair them yourself because the parts tend to wear out when you are miles away from an outfitter.

'Slogger

whitefoot_hp
04-22-2008, 19:50
just go cheap and replace as needed. swissgear has 10 year warranty. take advantage (of)

AlwaysHiking
04-22-2008, 20:36
Pacerpole ships international from UK. http://www.pacerpole.com/index.html Might get there quicker than coming from a manufacture here in the states.

You can order spares, shafts, left, right, baskets, etc... through them.

Their ergonomically shaped handles are incredible.

Egads
04-22-2008, 20:40
Go with fixed length poles for increased strength, reliability, and lighter weight.

My Gossamer Gear poles are certainly not bombproof, but they are very UL. I have not picked up my Leki Makalu Ultra-Lights since my GG's came in except to hand them to my son to use.

Egads

Blissful
04-22-2008, 22:13
Not sure if any of them qualify as "bombproof". Given the right amount of stress they will pretty much all bend/kink or even snap in two. My personal preference is the Leki Makalu Ultra-Lights.

'Slogger

Agreed. Got mine in Gorham on my hike last year. Love them. Collapse small too.

McPick
04-23-2008, 19:57
About a week ago I found out that I'm getting a grant to go to a 1500-mile hike in Spain next summer...

Well, well, well, Clured... ol' Buddy, ol' Pal... It occurs to me that your grant likely includes full financial provisions for a guide (never been there, but no probs, 'cause I'm a map reader, too), or a cook, (Oh man, I make a mean boiled water on the trail.), perhaps a porter for your 1/2 handle-length toothbrush, um... tent setter upper and taker downer, water hauler, boots lace tier, (that's a two for one, whoa!) band-aid applier (or ripper offer), translator (I don't speak the language, but "beer please" is a universal language. As is, "more beer please."), photographer (SMILE... just take one more step back... one more... one more... Hey, where'd you go?), sleeping bag roller outer-fluffer (doubles as a sleeping bag roller upper-compressor too), sleeping pad inflater/deflater, etc, etc, etc. Oh what the heck... etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. I happily use myself for a reference, so call anytime. I'll be ready in about 10 minutes...

By the way, I use old Scott ski poles adapted for rubber chair-leg boots on the tips... Love em!

mudhead
04-23-2008, 20:19
http://www.alpujarratrekking.com/

If you scroll down, the guy has an Email.

He might be able to answer some gear questions for you. Have fun!

take-a-knee
04-23-2008, 21:04
About a week ago I found out that I'm getting a grant to go to a 1500-mile hike in Spain next summer; so, all my plans for the PCT have been scrapped, and I've been scrambling to adjust my gear kit accordingly.

I was going to use Komperdell Featherlight's on the PCT, but they are unfit for this new trip because they are fixed length (do you want to go through customs with two spears? No, you don't!), and I'm worried that they aren't durable enough; if a pole breaks in America, you just call up some company and get a new one shipped to the trail. Now, that may be possible in Spain, but I sure don't know how to do it, and I'd rather just use one pair of collapsible, sturdy poles all summer.

So, what's the best collapsible, lightweight, durablepole, ie one that will almost certainly last 3 months of hiking?

A "grant" to go hiking? I hope it is a "grant" from dear-old Dad, but I suspect it'll be filthy lucre taken at gunpoint from some hard-working soul who'd like to have time to go fishing, or maybe take a hike.

clured
04-24-2008, 18:25
Chip on your shoulder, take-a-knee? What's your problem? You have no idea what the circumstances are.

Emptyman
04-24-2008, 20:29
clured,
Gossamer Gear has pretty incredibly reviewed poles. I don't know if it applies, but could you not mail them ahead of time? Make sure if you are taking them in plan baggage,they are well packed in cardboard or a poster roll case.
Additionally, I don't mean to pry, but my goodness, how on Earth did you get a grant to hike?
For me, that sounds like the absolute ultimate job. !!
Whatever it is, way to go Brother. Wish I could figure out how to do that myself.

Dirtygaiters
04-24-2008, 21:14

Bombproof and lightweight are mutually exclusive. I use a pair of collapsible Black Diamond poles that weigh 9 ounces each. I think they're relatively lightweight and quite durable, but they're nowhere near as light as carbon fiber poles.

clured
04-24-2008, 21:41
clured,
Gossamer Gear has pretty incredibly reviewed poles. I don't know if it applies, but could you not mail them ahead of time? Make sure if you are taking them in plan baggage,they are well packed in cardboard or a poster roll case.
Additionally, I don't mean to pry, but my goodness, how on Earth did you get a grant to hike?
For me, that sounds like the absolute ultimate job. !!
Whatever it is, way to go Brother. Wish I could figure out how to do that myself.

Emptyman,

Yeah, the GG lightrek's are great poles; I used them for the first 500 miles or so of my AT hike, but then I broke them in a car door in Damascus. Doh! But that's the thing: they're great, until you do something sorta dumb, and it would suck if I broke a pair in Europe and had to do a bunch of hiking without poles. I want something that would have survived the car door (it was very light, but because it was from the side, ie perpendicular to the scoring of the carbon fiber, it cracked it).

As for the grant: it's a fellowship program run through my school that sponsors all sorts of study abroad/independent projects. And no, take-a-knee, it's not taxpayer money; it's a privately endowed program, ie some rich person gave a bunch of money to the school, which is then bid for competitively by students.

Connie
04-29-2008, 22:44
Wow. What are you studying?

Summit
04-30-2008, 06:48
My wife gave me a "grant" to go hike the Foothills Trail last week, but I don't think we're talking apples-to-apples! :D :p

Congratulations! Enjoy your all expenses paid hike. I would probably not try to deal with getting poles through customs, at least not both ways. Pick some up over there, or possibly even rent or borrow them.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 07:21

My husband and I both have Komperdells and they definitely collapse way down to little shorties for carrying. We've been using them since 2004 and have had zero problems with them. I've gotten mine caught in rocks and deep holes and they popped right out without a problem - not even close to breaking. I bang them hard on logs and rocks to "scare" away any creepy crawlies - no problems. We've flown with them to South America and used them extensively there. I know we paid about $110/pair 4 years ago.

MOWGLI
04-30-2008, 07:26
American Hiking Society has top of the line Leki poles on sale for $85. They are normally $150. It's a great deal, and they come with rubber tips.

https://americanhiking.org/stAHSGear.aspx

minnesotasmith
04-30-2008, 08:42
A "grant" to go hiking? I hope it is a "grant" from dear-old Dad, but I suspect it'll be filthy lucre taken at gunpoint from some hard-working soul who'd like to have time to go fishing, or maybe take a hike.

That's a perfectly accurate description of its origin. All gov't money comes from theft now.

mudhead
04-30-2008, 08:46
But I like the government cheese.

MOWGLI
04-30-2008, 08:49
All gov't money comes from theft now.

Then resist being stolen from. Please report back in 7 years and tell us where that gets you. My guess is... a minimum security federal prison.

Time To Fly 97
04-30-2008, 08:56
Leki Makalu's. Get some extra carbide tips and clean out the connectors every once in awhile. Leki guarantees them for life. I've never had one break on me. They callapse, have shocks, several handle styles.

Happy hiking!

TTF

MOWGLI
04-30-2008, 09:02
Leki Makalu's. Get some extra carbide tips and clean out the connectors every once in awhile. Leki guarantees them for life. I've never had one break on me. They callapse, have shocks, several handle styles.

Happy hiking!

TTF

I fell off of a slick bog bridge on Whitecap mountain onto one of my poles and bent the lower section of one of my poles. After standing there in the cold rain for a minute thinking "aw @$#%", I bent the pole back close to it's original position, and to my surprise, it held it's shape the rest of the way to Katahdin. Even when I put my weight on the darn thing. Then I put a bunch more miles on it until I gave the pole away to someone who needed it more than me. Point being... they are very sturdy.

Time To Fly 97
04-30-2008, 09:05
I fell off of a slick bog bridge on Whitecap mountain onto one of my poles and bent the lower section of one of my poles. After standing there in the cold rain for a minute thinking "aw @$#%", I bent the pole back close to it's original position, and to my surprise, it held it's shape the rest of the way to Katahdin. Even when I put my weight on the darn thing. Then I put a bunch more miles on it until I gave the pole away to someone who needed it more than me. Point being... they are very sturdy.

Mowgli...I always thought I put my gear to the test. But you found a way to kick it up a notch or two. I take my banadana off to you and to Leki!

Happy hiking!

TFF

wahoo
04-30-2008, 09:37
I used to use the el cheapo swissgear poles, nothing wrong with them at all. I got a really good deal on a pair of Leki Makalu's with the foam grips. They are way more comfy on a long hike. Spend a little more up front on the poles, you won't regret it. Especially if you have a grant...!

clured
04-30-2008, 12:55
That's a perfectly accurate description of its origin. All gov't money comes from theft now.

My, what incisive political theory!

whitefoot_hp
04-30-2008, 13:01
if you dont feel like spending 150 on a pair of sticks, try bamboo, if it is in your area. it is a few bucks for a saw, a few more for a few rubber tips, and a few more for a little rope to make a handle with.

MOWGLI
04-30-2008, 13:26
if you dont feel like spending 150 on a pair of sticks, try bamboo, if it is in your area. it is a few bucks for a saw, a few more for a few rubber tips, and a few more for a little rope to make a handle with.

I posted this on a different thread... $150 top-o-the line Lekis are on sale for $85 from American Hiking Society. I know Hammock Hanger bought a pair. They come with the rubber tips.

https://americanhiking.org/stAHSGear.aspx

take-a-knee
04-30-2008, 13:29
My, what incisive political theory!

MS is way ahead of you clueless, in many different ways actually.

MOWGLI
04-30-2008, 13:31
My apologies for the double posting on the poles. I thought it was a different thread.

clured
04-30-2008, 17:15
MS is way ahead of you clueless, in many different ways actually.

Hehe. You two are certainly quite the dynamic duo. Both pathalogical contrarians.

Frosty
04-30-2008, 17:33
Hehe. You two are certainly quite the dynamic duo. Both pathalogical contrarians.Never get into the mud with the pigs. The pigs enjoy it, and you just get dirty yourself.

Have a great hike. It's a wonderful opportunity, and you'll have happy memories to last a lifetime. Be sure to come back and post how it all went.

If you post your trip report in the straightforward section, we'll be able to read of your adventures without being interupted by the contrarians.

Oh, and I agree with the guy who said bombproof and ultra light are mutually exclusive, but in this case, I would go toward the bombproof end of the spectrum. The walking on the pilgrimage should be fairly easy with plenty of hostel-type lodging so ultralight might not be fully necessary, and in the Pyrenees sturdiness may be of benefit. I would think that if you packed them in your checked baggage, there shouldn't be any problems. But I definately wouldn't attempt to carry them aboard.

take-a-knee
04-30-2008, 17:59
Hehe. You two are certainly quite the dynamic duo. Both pathalogical contrarians.

Pathological? Not hardly! Contrarian? Most assuredly! Contrarian...I really like that, thank you very much.