PDA

View Full Version : how do you chill your beer in warm weather on the trail?

cabalot
02-02-2004, 21:53
for those that pack beer, do you have a tecnique to chill your beer like stick it in a cool stream, or do you drink it warm. during cool weather it stays at a drinkable temp for me but during the summer i usually car camp so i have a cooler.

i remember those old "Busch, head for the mountains" commercials with the six pack in the stream. :sun

B Thrash
02-02-2004, 22:09
By the time I carried my beer in my pack all day it was ready to explode when I opened it. Was lucky to get one sip before it was gone. Have cooled it down in running stream with some good results.

cabalot
02-02-2004, 22:53
By the time I carried my beer in my pack all day it was ready to explode when I opened it. Was lucky to get one sip before it was gone. Have cooled it down in running stream with some good results.

good point about the exploding. definately let the beer rest for a couple hours after being subject to constant shaking from hiking.

has anyone heard that tapping the bottle cap lightly a few times helps relieve some of the built up pressure?

U-BOLT
02-02-2004, 22:59
has anyone heard that tapping the bottle cap lightly a few times helps relieve some of the built up pressure?
Only if the cap comes off.

geoffrey morris
02-02-2004, 23:10
Hi cabalot, a stream sounds good to me.Other than that I don't know,maybe there is a cooling system.As a football coach sometimes for injuries we use an "Instant Cold Compress".Basically a plastic bag with two chambers inside,one containing a bladder filled with water and the other half contains ammonium nitrate cyrstals.You squeeze the bladder until it bursts and then it mixes with the cyrstals.All this is contained in the outter bag.There is no mess.It get very cold immediatly.Perhaps a few of these in a soft light weight cloth cooler or in any container.This would replace the need for ice.The one I'm looking at is made by ACE brand, a trade mark BECTON DICKINSON and Company.The draw back is it's a one time use product but it stays cold for awhile,30 minutes to an hour maybe.

One other point, beer ,I think it's illegal on the AT and there are some hikers that think people that drink alochol and\or smoke marijuana should be lynched.Watch out for these ********.I'm sure some of them will read this and have a nasty comment or two about it.SO BE DISCRETE AND WATCH YOUR BACK!!Make sure that you don't leave any beer cans behind,even in trash cans at trail heads.Some of these asses would love to get you and your buddies busted.So much for freedom huh?Understand that I don't have a problem with people who wish to drink or smoke,but do not condone behavior that is threatening,abusive or otherwise inappropriate.Good luck and have fun.Let me know how the cold compresses work if you decide to try them.
Geoff Morris

Let freedom reign,and mind your own business.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2004, 23:15
The only place I can think of where beer is illegal is on TVA land (Fontana Dam).

geoffrey morris
02-02-2004, 23:27
I wasn't sure where it was allowed.What about state parks?Does the AT go through any?
G.Morris

Happy
02-02-2004, 23:55
Last February 28th I met Jan Liteshoe, Hotdog, Wench, Subman, Pringles and Bumpkin at Springer Mountain Shelter before we left on the Pack 31 hike.

I got there early and read the shelter journal about Bearkat, Tennessee, others having a big party the night before drinking Coor's light.

When I got to the shelter there was a 12 pack of beer and a huge bag of BBQ chips... and when I went to get water there was a 12 pack in the stream...I assumed Hot dog had hauled it up!

Everyone went to get water to cook and left it alone out of respect...while we were cooking on the camp table I asked Hotdog if he hauled it up and about the Shelter journal...he said no!...Subman hollowed TRAIL MAGIC as Wench ran to the stream and we enjoyed TRAIL MAGIC the first night out as a
result of Tennessee and Bearkat!!!

The point is the beer was much better out of the stream than inside the shelter on a 42 degree night!!!

SGT Rock
02-03-2004, 02:01
I don't know how well this would work in high humidity, but in the desert we take a sock and put it over the can or bottle then get it wet. The evaporation of te water cools the drink just like an evaporative water cooler. Given that science, a denatured alcohol soaked sock would cool better than water and should still work fine in high humidity.

Dan Morris
02-03-2004, 04:08
The Great Bear Brewing company in wasilla,Alaska has solved this! They make beer for backpackers in a pouch like a capri sun. Haven't used one myself but they make great bear and solve the exploding of cans.

B Thrash
02-03-2004, 14:44
The Great Bear Brewing company in wasilla,Alaska has solved this! They make beer for backpackers in a pouch like a capri sun. Haven't used one myself but they make great bear and solve the exploding of cans.

Dan: Heading to Fairbanks in August 2004, I will be on the lookout for some Great Bear.

Dan Morris
02-03-2004, 20:35
Dan: Heading to Fairbanks in August 2004, I will be on the lookout for some Great Bear.
I can get you any information that you might want. Lived here all my life know the state very well. I know some great areas to hike in and might know some good people if your intrested. I'll be on AT at the time but my brother will be in Wasilla and could show you some great hike's. I highly recomend Hatchers Pass there are some great day hike's and one nighters (not many). Hatchers is locaded in Wasilla/Palmer area. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want to chat. Hope you enjoy the trip!!! :clap

B Thrash
02-03-2004, 20:54
I can get you any information that you might want. Lived here all my life know the state very well. I know some great areas to hike in and might know some good people if your intrested. I'll be on AT at the time but my brother will be in Wasilla and could show you some great hike's. I highly recomend Hatchers Pass there are some great day hike's and one nighters (not many). Hatchers is locaded in Wasilla/Palmer area. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want to chat. Hope you enjoy the trip!!! :clap

Dan: Will fly military hop and will need to work out all details as to what day I will be there. Will have a friend with me who is not a hiker, he want to yellow blaze for a week. Thanks for the info.

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2004, 20:41
Actually, Wolf, there are several places where booze is not allowed; the area around Pedlar Dam near Lynchburg, for one. There's a sign there mentioning the prohibition of alcohol; I remember it because it's a good place to stp and have a drink.

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2004, 20:43
And before I hear from the humor-impaired about rules and law-breaking, please note that the above post was something of a joke.

cabalot
02-04-2004, 21:15
Actually, Wolf, there are several places where booze is not allowed; the area around Pedlar Dam near Lynchburg, for one. There's a sign there mentioning the prohibition of alcohol; I remember it because it's a good place to stop and have a drink.

sounds like a kodak moment. is it lynchburg TN? if so i'll have to do a shot of JD right out of the bottle next to the sign a snap a pic with my new digital camera at high resolution.

Lone Wolf
02-04-2004, 21:18
Lynchburg, Virginny

cabalot
02-06-2004, 00:45
I don't know how well this would work in high humidity, but in the desert we take a sock and put it over the can or bottle then get it wet. The evaporation of te water cools the drink just like an evaporative water cooler. Given that science, a denatured alcohol soaked sock would cool better than water and should still work fine in high humidity.

i'll have to try this, i wonder if a sweaty sock would work. i was a 68L, aviation. we had climate controlled vans to repair the helicopter avionics so we always brought a small fridge.

Thomas Hughes
02-07-2004, 00:54
Hey Cabalot,
Have you ever tryied taking wisky? If the tast of the bourbon is too strong, mix a lot of sugar with your wisky, then add a drop or three of vanilla or mint extract. The sugar hides the bourbon tast. But, be carfull, that wisky is nothing to chuge. It says on the side of the bottle " SIPPING WISHKY". If that dosn't help, mix the sugar and the gut rot with powder gatorade and some water. I've mixed corn wisky with those little children lunch guices(Copri Sun) too. Rember, corn grain wisky is around 192 proof(Everyclear). I used that stuff in my multi-fuel stoves too. Hope that I helped out at all. I'm used to backpacking in the deasert, I don't mind drinking worm or hot beer. I just find that "Grampa's Cold Medicine" is a bit faster in making the body feel bettet.

cabalot
02-07-2004, 01:15
i do drink JD but i want cold beer after a long hike. the JD is the finishing touch. beer weighs to much to carry enough to get buzzed for a 3-5 day hike.

i am gonna try rocks technic to get a can of pepsi cold to chase the jd with. a can would get cold faster than a bottle.

SGT Rock
02-07-2004, 01:59
Bourbon and Branch Water

My favorite is to take some cold spring water and add some JB Black Lable to it. Nice and cool, enough alcohol to get a litte extra muscle relaxant.

Trail Magic is the best way to get cold beer.