PDA

View Full Version : Pssst! President Bush Coming To Kent For Fundraiser

Tin Man
04-23-2008, 07:25
Pssst! President Bush Coming To Kent For Fundraiser

By RINKER BUCK And JESSE A. HAMILTON
Courant Staff Writers
April 18, 2008

Attention all Nutmeggers. George W. Bush is coming to town — to Henry Kissinger's house in Kent <snip>

Even though the White House would not confirm the event and Connecticut party officials are mum, Republicans throughout the state have been receiving mailed invitations to a noon fundraiser next Friday <April 25> at Kissinger's remote estate in the forested hill country east of Kent.

<snip>

Contact Rinker Buck at [email protected] ([email protected]).

Copyright © 2008, The Hartford Courant (http://www.courant.com/)

Tin Man
04-23-2008, 07:28
Posted the above as a warning to any hikers visiting Kent on Friday who may want to be on guard for Men in Black wearing dark glasses and ear pieces driving big dark SUVs.

SGT Rock
04-23-2008, 08:27
The politics stuff is now over in the politics forum. If you have something you want to say about politics go back there and keep it off the main board.

This is just a warning to let you guys know there might be issues getting through Kent this week. If you have ever been around a Presidential event you know it can get tight.

zoidfu
04-23-2008, 08:28
It's a freakin' political post to start with!

Tin Man
04-23-2008, 08:30
Zoid, I sincerely did not mean it that way... I can snip out the guts if that will make you feel better...

zoidfu
04-23-2008, 08:31
Zoid, I sincerely did not mean it that way... I can snip out the guts if that will make you feel better...

It doesn't bother me. Just sayin'

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-23-2008, 08:35
If I were long distance hiking in the Kent area, I would appreciate a heads-up about any event taking place in the town that could effect my hike. The extra security that surrounds a visit by the POTUS is such an event - especially since we often look and smell differ than most residents and might arouse suspicion.

Tin Man
04-23-2008, 08:42
If I were long distance hiking in the Kent area, I would appreciate a heads-up about any event taking place in the town that could effect my hike. The extra security that surrounds a visit by the POTUS is such an event - especially since we often look and smell differ than most residents and might arouse suspicion.

There was another story about protestors planning a rally. They could be even more dangerous to hikers if they get out of hand. We wouldn't want any fellow hikers mistaken for an "out of hand" protestor.

MOWGLI
04-23-2008, 08:58
Since there are essentially no thru-hikers in Kent in April, this is a heads up for the section or day hiker. It's really pretty much a non-issue for the hiker. If you were thinking about starting a section hike in Kent on the day of the event, you might want to reconsider. There ain't much more to the story than that.

Tin Man
04-23-2008, 09:05
Since there are essentially no thru-hikers in Kent in April, this is a heads up for the section or day hiker. It's really pretty much a non-issue for the hiker. If you were thinking about starting a section hike in Kent on the day of the event, you might want to reconsider. There ain't much more to the story than that.

Yup. Just wanted to alert people who had plans to be in the area. I was planning a family outing for Friday and changed the plans to today. [Now if I can just get the family out of bed - school breaks are a bear for waking up the kids...and wife!]

Lone Wolf
04-23-2008, 09:05
i would like it if McCain was there when i was there. mcCain 08

earlyriser26
04-23-2008, 11:21
I'll see Bush when he speaks at my daughter's college graduation in June, so I will just avoid Kent.

DesertMTB
04-23-2008, 11:26
It's a freakin' political post to start with!

pfft. There is nothing political about the OP.

But in any case I don't see how W's visit will affect anyone at all. A presidential motorcade might make you wait in traffic for a little, but that is it.

hopefulhiker
04-23-2008, 13:31
Kent is a nice town if you have a second home there..but in 05 it was a tough place to stay,.No real good place to use a bathroom, no laundry, no authorized camping... In 05 I camped there in someones back yard(with permission) right next to the cemetary, and I snuck into the church basement to use the bathroom... I felt like a homeless person...

There was talk of providing a public facility for restrooms and a public laundry..

Does anyone know if the town has this now?

zoidfu
04-23-2008, 16:03
pfft. There is nothing political about the OP.

But in any case I don't see how W's visit will affect anyone at all. A presidential motorcade might make you wait in traffic for a little, but that is it.

Pffft. He did what he said he'd do and cut out the guts. Inform yourself before you talk.

gsingjane
04-23-2008, 16:07
I appreciate the info... I'm going to be there Sunday, hopefully minus the black helicopters and guys talking into their lapels.

BTW, how did the BSA trip go last weekend?

Jane in CT

Tin Man
04-23-2008, 16:42
The Boy Scout trip on April 11-13 went very well...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=594186&postcount=86

The next trip is May 2-4 where we plan to do 10 miles of the AT in CT and camp off trail in Mohawk State Park along the old AT. It looks like we will do a short backpack hike into the campsite and then hike 10 miles on Saturday with just day packs.

Tin Man
04-23-2008, 16:44
I appreciate the info... I'm going to be there Sunday, hopefully minus the black helicopters and guys talking into their lapels.

BTW, how did the BSA trip go last weekend?

Jane in CT

You should be okay on Sunday. I think Bush is just doing a flyby as he has some other stops to make in CT on Friday.

Skidsteer
04-23-2008, 17:26
We were testing antennas on a cell tower at Ft. Bragg shortly after 9/11 when the President came for a visit.

We had a good view of the motorcade route. Too good apparently 'cause some gentlemen in helicoptors sporting some serious machinery and bull horns dropped in to ask us to come back another time.

They were very earnest in their request.

Tin Man
04-24-2008, 22:19
Reminder: Best to avoid Kent, CT tomorrow (Friday, April 25).

Lone Wolf
04-25-2008, 08:31
Reminder: Best to avoid Kent, CT tomorrow (Friday, April 25).

why?.....

Tin Man
04-25-2008, 08:34
why?.....

If you like Presidential motorcade circuses, then by all means, Kent will be the place to be. I would go, but I am not a groupie.

Lone Wolf
04-25-2008, 08:36
they won't be going down the main street plus there are no hikers there right now plus if there were it wouldn't affect them. you're making a big deal over nothin' :rolleyes:

Tin Man
04-25-2008, 08:42
they won't be going down the main street plus there are no hikers there right now plus if there were it wouldn't affect them. you're making a big deal over nothin' :rolleyes:

Lots of people hiking these parts this time of year. There are not too many streets besides main street if you are shuttling around that section of trail. Although I suspect there is room for Marine 1 to land at Kissinger's estate and there may be no need for a motorcade.

Big deal over nothin'? Perhaps. When was the last time the President visited Damascus? ;)

Lone Wolf
04-25-2008, 08:45
drama queen

Tin Man
04-25-2008, 08:47
Whatever. :rolleyes: Have a nice day. :sun

dixicritter
04-25-2008, 08:48
Everyone has been notified about this, thank you. Too late to make any plan changes at this point. Move the political conversation to the appropriate forum. This thread is now closed.