PDA

View Full Version : New AT Documentary, TREK

strider01
02-02-2004, 22:58
I have been reading in this forum that people are interested in a newer documentary on the AT. I would like to mention a documentary that was just released, "TREK, A Journey on the Appalachian Trail"

Before people yell at me, I will say that I am very associated with this film, since I am one of the hikers (Stider), and I also edited the film.

I will also say that I feel this is the best film to date about the Appalachian Trail. It follows our entire thru-hike, and paints a very accurate picture of life on the Trail. Many people wanted longer than 28 minutes, well TREK is 1 hour and 40 minutes, and gives amazing insight into the hikers and their friends that they meet. The reviews from Trail Days last year were excellent, and most hikers say they watch it twice in a row.

I'm sure everyone that is on this BBS would love this film, so check it out. It is available at Amazon, search for Appalachian Trail in videos (its only VHS right now). People can also check out a preview of the movie at www.CirqueVideo.com.

Please leave me some feedback, I would love to hear what people think.

Strider01

Skyline
02-02-2004, 23:13
I'd definitely buy this if it was available as a DVD. Please post here when it is.

Rain Man
02-03-2004, 00:46
I'm sure everyone that is on this BBS would love this film, so check it out. It is available at Amazon, search for Appalachian Trail in videos (its only VHS right now). People can also check out a preview of the movie at www.CirqueVideo.com.

Strider... since you ASKED for feedback... I went to the site and viewed the trailer. Looks great to me!

However, the site sucks. To view the trailer, I had to GUESS and which link to click, as the IDIOTS made the links DARK BLUE on BLACK. What idiots!!! Did I say that already?

You need to tell them they're idiots for putting dark blue fonts on black background and expecting folks to read them, especially when it's critical to select the right one.

ARGHHHHHHH.

But... once I got past that bit of idiocy (did I say that already?), I enjoyed the trailer and will probably order the video. I didn't notice that it's on DVD though.

Sorry to be brutal about a pet peeve of mine. LOL

Rain Man

DeBare
02-03-2004, 01:15
:clap nice video as far as I can tell. To bad I won't see it before going this year.

Riprap
02-03-2004, 10:36
You don't have to be a thru hiker (I'm not)to love "Trek: A Journey on the Appalachian Trail" (I ordered it on Amazon). I've watched it three times already and I see something else I like every time. Some of us may never get to do the whole trail. We don't need a "how to" guide. We just want to see trail stuff. This video gives you a real feel for the culture of the AT. You get lots of interviews with thru hikers and get a chance to get into their heads. I liked stuff like the "milk challenge" (except for the barfing part). Great finish. Check out the trailer at www.cirquevideo.com.

Riprap

Uncle Wayne
04-07-2004, 03:13
If you have seen / enjoyed the "2000 Miles to Maine" documentary, you'll love this one. I have both and enjoyed watching both but imo this is the better of the two. The only downside is that it's not available on DVD yet.
Trek is more detailed about pre hike preparations and actual trail life. This video starts with pre hike interviews and even carries you inside the grocery store as they shop for supplies before hitting the trail. Maybe it was just me but I could relate more to this video than the other one. For me, there was more of a "I remember that feeling, that view, that moment" type of feeling as I watched this video.

Jaybird
04-07-2004, 07:01
If you have seen / enjoyed the "2000 Miles to Maine" documentary, you'll love this one....... "

Uncle Wayne:

I enjoyed the forementioned video & now have ordered TREK.
I viewed the clip & read several reviews...sad to see it's NOT on DVD!

Looking foward to the viewing! :D

papa john
04-07-2004, 07:53
Quicktime player sucks. I can't see anything except a white screen. Downloaded the latest version, all I get is sound.

Let me know when this is available on modern media as I don't have a VCR. DVD only!

Footslogger
04-07-2004, 11:50
Picked up our copy of "Trek" at Trail Days 2002 ...great memories and fun to watch. Footslogger and Bad Ass Turtle give it a 2-thumbs-up. Got the VHS version but DVD would be good.

Hey there Strider ...good to see you post on whiteblaze. You, Sheriff and the gang going to be in Damascus this year ??

By the way ...Bad Ass Turtle sends her regards.

'Slogger

Frosty
04-07-2004, 12:09
I'd definitely buy this if it was available as a DVD. Please post here when it is.
Ditto. I no longer have a VCR.

Moon Monster
04-07-2004, 12:27
The trailer looks really good. But I also no longer have a VCR.

A-Train
04-07-2004, 12:32
This video is awesome, definately the most up to date and realistic AT video I've seen. Fortunately I do still have VHS. I hope they format this to DVD so many more can enjoy. Its got footage from every state, interesting people to follow along with and some great movie. HIGHLY recommended~!

Uncle Wayne
04-08-2004, 07:36
Before I ordered the VHS version I asked Strider01 if he was going to release a DVD version. He told me that the DVD might come later, depending on available funding.
So maybe in a year or so.

Jaybird
04-08-2004, 08:09
Before I ordered the VHS version I asked Strider01 if he was going to release a DVD version. He told me that the DVD might come later, depending on available funding.So maybe in a year or so.

Uncle Wayne/Strider01:

Don't know who Strider01's company is that manufactured the tapes...but, in my experience with video productions...it is NOW cheaper to mass produce DVDs as it is VHS tapes...i bought a copy of the tape...but wouldve preferred, obviously, a DVD version.

too bad both formats arent available.

Jaybird
04-11-2004, 19:31
I have been reading in this forum that people are interested in a newer documentary on the AT. I would like to mention a documentary that was just released, "TREK, A Journey on the Appalachian Trail".................................................. ...........................
.......................................(its only VHS right now)................................
Strider01

Strider01

loved the documentary!

How'd you get away with using TREK for your movie title?
They're an International bicycle manufacturer & would probably not legally allow the name to be used without mucho denaro changing hands....heheheheheehee :D

http://www.trekbikes.com/inside_trek/legal.jsp

just curious...

Ramble~On
04-15-2004, 06:31
VHS tapes remind me of 8 tracks....Hmmm...I'm not that old either.
Hopefully, enough tapes will sell to warrant DVD.
Is the ATC involved in this ?
Sounds like something that they have a market for and could benefit from.

eyahiker
04-15-2004, 13:43
----------------------------------------:)

SamTheLion
04-25-2004, 21:46
This is a great video, I have the vhs and will buy the dvd when it becomes available. Basically imo there hasn't been a decent AT vid that I know of since 5 million steps - I have a few but they are either very short, very overview, or how do I type videos. TREK is wonderful in that it follow hikers for the whole trail and introduces us to many hikers other than the main subjects, and shows sections from all over the trail. But it's not just a trail log, we get to see the highs and low, from several hikers, from unexpected trail magic to thoughts of dropping off the trail, from zero days to 40 mile plus days. I highly reccomend this video to anyone interested in the trail.

MedicineMan
04-25-2004, 22:17
Did anyone mention how much the movie is??????

flyfisher
04-26-2004, 08:35
How'd you get away with using TREK for your movie title?

I did a little reading about trademarks last week. The same name/letters can be trademarked by different people for different purposes. The trademark is only applicable to the category for which it is trademarked.

Trek, as the title to a hiking movie, is unlikely to be confused with a brand of bicycle.

I was originally looking up the topic for BackpackGearTest, to figure out if it was correct to use Supplex Nylon instead of Supplex nyon in a report.

Here is what I wrote:

Turns out that Dupont has trademarked Supplex as well as Supplex Nylon when used together.

I learned a lot about trademarks looking all this up. It seems that a trademark is only applicable to certain uses. Dupont has trademarked Supplex for cloth and clothing.

However Supplex has been used for lawn hoses by the Hard Rubber corporation since 1948. Supplex has been used in regard to doctor's and dentist's chairs by another company since the 1950s, and was formerly used for medical rubber catheters by another company.

Trademarks can be capitalized by a company any way they please. Supplex,
supplex, SUPPLEX and SuppleX could all be used by the Dupont company for its fabric.

That is how the producers of Trek can get away with it....

Frosty
04-26-2004, 10:14
I did a little reading about trademarks last week. The same name/letters can be trademarked by different people for different purposes. The trademark is only applicable to the category for which it is trademarked.

Trek, as the title to a hiking movie, is unlikely to be confused with a brand of bicycle.....

To validate what you are saying, I have a Diamondback bike which I never confuse with a baseball team, and when I ride I wear a Bell helmet which I have yet to mistake for a telephone.

Tom

eyahiker
04-28-2004, 11:30
----------------------------------------:)