PDA

View Full Version : Footprints?Useful or not?

Pete Moss
04-23-2008, 13:22
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, but I would like some opinions on wehter or not I should bring the footprint for my tent on my thru hike this summer. I've heard some say they are useless and others who say they dont use the tent(instead just the footprint and rain fly). Opinions?Thanks

hopefulhiker
04-23-2008, 13:35
Not necessary.... Just choose your site with care...

Phreak
04-23-2008, 14:08
I'd ditch the factory footprint and use a piece of tyvek.

kytrailman
04-23-2008, 14:09
Personally - I use one when needed. If site is chosen with care, then it is not necessary. They do help protect the tent floor from abrasion, sticks, small rocks, etc.( you get the point) It also depends on the floor in your tent. If the weight is what you are worried about--don't. it's negligible.( depending on what you use as groundcloth) It really is a matter of opinion. Good luck!!!

Blissful
04-23-2008, 14:15
I used a piece of tyvek and it was good to have on real wet ground and on wet tent platforms. And in dirty shelters.

Footslogger
04-23-2008, 14:52
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, but I would like some opinions on wehter or not I should bring the footprint for my tent on my thru hike this summer. I've heard some say they are useless and others who say they dont use the tent(instead just the footprint and rain fly). Opinions?Thanks
===============================

Depends on whether or not you believe that your tent floor will be damaged by abrasion from the ground.

Personally I use a single walled silnylon shelter that has a 30 Denier silnylon floor. With my weight and that of the gear I pull inside at night it wouldn't take much to wear a hole in the floor.

At the price of my shelter it is worth it to me to carry and use a piece of lightweight (2-3 ounces) Tyvek.

Totally up to you ....

'Slogger

hopefulhiker
04-23-2008, 15:00
the tarp tents are available without a floor... You can carry a piece of Tyvek extra... A lot of people would put the tyvek down in a shelter to keep their stuff cleaner...

HippieHiker
04-23-2008, 15:01
I saw a bunch of scouts pulling Tyvek out of the their van this weekend when I was leaving the gorge, I didnt know what they were doing until now, but it makes sense. I still prob. wouldnt carry it around.

Rain Man
04-23-2008, 16:58
I've heard some say they are useless and others who say they dont use the tent(instead just the footprint and rain fly). Opinions?Thanks

I happen to like the non-tent setup, with only the rainfly and the footprint, assuming they match up and allow same. Not all tents do.

Gotta take into consideration bug season, however!

As far as a footprint under a tent for backpacking, I don't do that. I save that for car camping.

I do have Tyvek, which I use when I take a tarp just as an emergency shelter.

Rain:sunMan

Pete Moss
04-23-2008, 17:53
Sounds like a peice of tyvek is the consensus. I appreciate everyones feedback on this. I beleive I'll look into the tyvek suggestion. Once again, you guys are awesome!!!Thanks

Wags
04-23-2008, 21:58
i take my footprint. tent was my most expensive piece of gear, so i'll do what i have to to protect it

fiddlehead
04-23-2008, 22:45
You can always sew a patch on any hole put in your tent floor. That's extra weight that you don't need IMO.
My tent has no floor so i carry a piece of Tyvek. It doubles as a sign for whatever town I'm hitching to or back to the trail. I carry a Sharpie and fold it differently each time so that i have about 16 signs from a piece of Tyvek. (32 if you make them small)
Tyvek has other uses too: temporary shelter in the daytime when rain comes or the sun is too hot, make a makeshift privacy shower/toilet/changing room in public, cover your pack while setting up your tent in the rain, etc. etc. etc.
I've even sewed a tent from Tyvek but the stitches were a weak-point thereafter so i don't recommend it.