PDA

View Full Version : The North Mountain Trail-Virginia

Stabes
04-23-2008, 13:32
Hi all,

I plan on hiking the section of the AT that starts where 624 crosses 311 near Catawba and hiking North up past Tinker Cliffs and then taking the Andy Lane Trail to the North Mountain Trail and coming south down that trail. Does anyone know anything about this trail? Good places to camp, water sources, etc? I realize it's only 13 or so miles, but I don't know a thing about it and would like to be at least slightly informed before I leave.

Thanks!

wilconow
04-23-2008, 13:34
I did that loop a few Octobers ago. The North Mountain trail is strict ridge walking.. I don't recall passing any sort of water source. It's pretty easy hiking. We did the trail to the turn off to Andy Layne and camped at the Lamberts shelter that night. Plenty of water there. 2nd day just walked back on the AT

check out this thread

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17837

Stabes
04-23-2008, 13:47
Thanks! I tried to search the archives, but I guess I am not very good at it cause I couldn't find anything.

So you think the whole loop is easily doable in two days, three tops?

wilconow
04-23-2008, 13:52
Two days should not be a problem, especially this time of year with more daylight

the only challenging part I recall was climbing to Scortched Earth Gap. It was a muddy climb

Didn't see one other person on the North Mountain trail.. lots on the AT