PDA

View Full Version : Squall 2 vs Cloudburst 2

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 20:17
I was on the ordering sheet on tarptents website about to order the Squall 2 when I had second thoughts and started looking at the Cloudburst 2. Just looking for some suggestions, opinions, etc. comparing the two tents. I obviously realize the weight difference so besides that. Does anyone know the difference in interior height in the rear between the two tents? It seems that the Cloudburst offers more interior room with the walls going straight up instead of the Squall angling towards the top. What do you guys think? I appreciate any and all suggestions. I'm dying to order a tent but I just want to make sure that I am making the right choice. Also, how is the cloudburst stay up? In the pictures I did not see any pole and I also seen no trekking poles....

Roland
04-23-2008, 20:30
The Cloudburst has an unobstructed entrance. There is no pole in the doorway.

The Cloudburst has steeper walls, so it gives a bit more shoulder space.

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 20:34
do you know if its possible for someone to sit up in the rear of the tent?

Also, if there is no pole in the door than where is the pole? is there one running through the center?

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 20:34
the first question applies for the squall and the cloudburst......

Roland
04-23-2008, 20:39
do you know if its possible for someone to sit up in the rear of the tent?

Also, if there is no pole in the door than where is the pole? is there one running through the center?

It is possible to sit-up in both.

Maybe my previous post was misleading. The Cloudburst does have a pole. It's not a vertical pole, but an arch, front and rear.

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 20:41
Oh ok i see. So the cloudburst doesnt require any type of pole in the front, just the squall.

Roland
04-23-2008, 20:57
I found Henry Shires to be very approachable. If you are still torn between these models, give him a call, or PM him. He's an active WB member.

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 21:01
ok I'll do that. Thanks.

Roland
04-23-2008, 21:03
hshires (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=17359)

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 21:06
comments/suggestions still welcome.

High Altitude
04-23-2008, 21:15
comments/suggestions still welcome.

From the tarptent FAQ

Q: I need a tent for 2 people. What's the difference between the Squall 2 and Cloudburst 2?
A: The Cloudburst 2 is designed for comfort; the Squall 2 is designed for efficiency with attention paid to comfort as well. Here are a few points of comparison:

The Cloudburst 2 has slightly more elbow room in front than the Squall 2 through the peak height is higher on the Squall 2. Two can sit up in front in both shelters. The walls are very steep on the Cloudburst 2, slightly less so on the Squall 2.
The Cloudburst 2 sets up with only 3 stakes; the Squall 2 works best with 4 stakes but can work with only 3 stakes (with additional guyline).
The Cloudburst 2 has unrestricted entry/exit; the Squall with one or two front poles has slightly restricted entry/exit.
The Cloudburst 2 sidewall storm flaps allow the full width to be used in stormy weather. When not needed, the flaps stow away and the netting walls have the same dimensions and functionality as the Squall. The Squall 2 sidewalls can be easily lowered by restaking the front corners as needed.
The Cloudburst 2 footprint is smaller.
The Squall 2 may use one or two trekking poles in the front, the Cloudburst 2 must use both included poles.
The Cloudburst 2 front awning (beak) offers good front door protection as does the awning on the Squall 2. The spit openingadds venting and entry/exit ease of use.
The Squall 2 is about 6 ounces lighter and a better solution for one and two-person use when shelter and minimal weight are the primary concerns.
The Cloudburst 2 will handle more snow loading without wall collapse.

take-a-knee
04-23-2008, 21:21
Oh ok i see. So the cloudburst doesnt require any type of pole in the front, just the squall.

I have a Squall II and it is huge for one person and ample for two. It can be set up with one hiking pole in the middle or two poles angled, I prefer one pole but you get a more taut pitch with two. I don't mind the poles. If you hike with hiking poles and need room for two that is the tarptent to buy, IMO.

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 21:25
Thanks alot. I did not see that on their website. Guess I should look harder next time...

My decision has done nothing but gotten harder. I'm sure I will be happy with both. Guess I'll just flip a coin :-?

hopefulhiker
04-23-2008, 21:25
If the tent is used for two people I would go with the Cloudburst or consider the Double Rainbow..

I used the Squall 2 for my thru in 05.. It was incredibly roomy, durable and worked very well in all circumstances I faced... For the weight, I used my trekking poles it would be the best for one person... If you want even less weight consider the Contrail...

take-a-knee
04-23-2008, 21:47
If the tent is used for two people I would go with the Cloudburst or consider the Double Rainbow..

I used the Squall 2 for my thru in 05.. It was incredibly roomy, durable and worked very well in all circumstances I faced... For the weight, I used my trekking poles it would be the best for one person... If you want even less weight consider the Contrail...

I should have said my daughter and I are small, the hoop tarptents would likely be best for two larger people. I know nothing about the contrail personally but a few here have had complaints about those little upright poles in the back, I don't recall the exact complaint. I wish Shires still made the contrail with the hoop in the rear. I believe he makes/made that tent still for Gossamer Gear in Spinntex. That old style in cuben fiber would be the ticket.

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 22:06
It will be about 50% solo use and 50% two people.

I am about 5'8'' 170lbs so I'm not that big where I require an enormous amount of headroom or anything like that.

hopefulhiker
04-23-2008, 22:07
How much are you going to use it... Just for weekend trips or extended sections?

take-a-knee
04-23-2008, 22:12
It will be about 50% solo use and 50% two people.

I am about 5'8'' 170lbs so I'm not that big where I require an enormous amount of headroom or anything like that.

You and I are about the same size, I'd go with the Squall to save weight, IF you use poles, if you don't you may as well get the hoop tent.

88BlueGT
04-23-2008, 22:57
How much are you going to use it... Just for weekend trips or extended sections?

Well, mostly weekend hikes (and some mixed week trips in the middle).

Also, I was planning on a thru-hike 09 but thats up in the air right now since my hiking partner bailed on me :rolleyes:

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 00:39
You and I are about the same size, I'd go with the Squall to save weight, IF you use poles, if you don't you may as well get the hoop tent.

I do plan on using poles with it as soon as I get a set :rolleyes: I'm a poor college student so funds are tight (as always). But school lets out in a few weeks and its back to full time work, so that means nice cash flow. Poles are next on my list after the tent for sure.

Matteroo
04-24-2008, 00:50
used a squall 2 for 1500 miles on the AT. It was borrowed and returned after we were done to it's owner - so we are in the same position and while I don't need to buy a tent immediately - this very question is on the back of my mind. I'd almost ask henry to send a cloudburst 2 out that I'd only use in the yard and look at - I was EXTREMELY pleased with the Squall 2 - all and any 'issues' could be solved with tweaking in setup or an additional application of seam-sealer (somewhere in vermont the little 'beak' part up top-front started pooling h2o and leaking a bit). I liked that it was very durable, light, quick to dry, fairly easy to setup, and was minimalist yet had the necessary tweaking with the features that were included.

if you make a choice - would you care to post here which one and what sold you either way? 2 issues that did come up were during extreme condensation having a sleeping bag rub against it (bothered Bucket an extreme amount) / heavy rain on a flat surface (tent platform), without tree/etc cover above - water would splash up inside through the side mesh. Sounds like the Cloudburst 2 works on that by being steeper walled and more of side/bottom edge protection - but these were sort of border situations that were not commonly had - and weren't deal breakers either way. A little dampness during extreme downpour events is expected.

i'd go with the cloudburst 2 out of the features, but know the squall 2 like the back of my hand so.. its kind of hard to pass on the tried and true experience, for hoping something is slightly better. certainly saw more squall 2 than cloudbursts on the trail.

thats my ramble. : )

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 01:03
I WISH I had some spare cash or I would honestly buy both, set them up in the backyard, compare them, etc. and than make a decision off of that and send the other one back. But since like posted above, my funds are pretty tight right now so thats not an option unfortunately.

I'm still undecided.... I wish I never even started to consider the Cloudburst lol, its killing me......... :D

Matteroo
04-24-2008, 04:19
e-mail henry / make a post here or on a NJ hiking club site. I'm sure there is someone within 50 miles of you who owns one or both of the tents... heck, if you were patient you could wait a month or two and some thrus will be going in NJ and one of them will have a squall 2 or contrail or some tarptent..

Mr. Shires was great to deal with when I was picking out the contrail to give to Bucket (gf) while she hiked solo. Then later on when we needed new cords/strings for the Squall 2, he sent those ($15 or something) without asking for money up front (we paid once we finished the trail).

If you know you're going to buy a tent from him (and I would say you won't be disappointed unless it is by your expectations/needs - from our pov it was one of our best items along the trail) ... anyways he will take the time and maybe can personally direct you to one or the other. If you gave him your CC/debit #, bought one tent, and had it authorized to bill for the second tent if you didn't send it back.. who knows-maybe he would send both and you could compare and make a decision. You'd tank the shipping costs but if it meant you knew you made a choice for a the exact right shelter that would last you for many adventures to come, maybe thats worth the $15 extra or whatever.

you won't go wrong either way - ask a girlfriend, cousin, friend or someone, sometimes people who have no idea about gear can offer up a quick decision that makes sense for reasons you didn't consider. (ie: you really enjoy your shoulder room..you toss while you sleep.... ..your pack is kinda heavy, might as well get the lighter one..etc)

good luck, i agonize with having too much choice sometimes. i don't want communism.. but i am often paralyzed by wide-ranging choices with many subtle variants between products.

Wags
04-24-2008, 12:18
go w/ the one w/ more room. you'll appreciate it more when you're in there w/ your lady-friend. spooning and snuggling is great when it's chilly, but when it's hot you'll want a little space.

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 18:13
Good suggestion Matteroo... maybe I'll ask him if he would do that.

hikingpa, she usually only attends fall trips and some summer (too hot in the mid summer and too cold in the winter lol) so spooning isn't top priority lol.

Does anyone know the weight of the poles for the squall if not using trekking poles?

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 18:15
never mind on the weight... I found it

They are 1.8oz a piece if anyone else wanted to know :)

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 19:36
Well, Matteroo, I took your suggestion (which was a great one by the way :)) and contacted Henry Shires from tarptent and asked him if he could send me both tents without charging me, and he can hold onto my creditcard number, etc. HOPEFULLY, he says yes. That would be absolutely GREAT! and it would make my decision 10 times easier (at least I think it will lol). I have my fingers crossed and waiting for a response.

88BlueGT
04-24-2008, 23:19
Does anyone know if the cloudburst has integrated line tighteners? If not, is there a reason that it doesn't?

Matteroo
04-24-2008, 23:31
88BlueGT,

Glad to know Henry was open to that suggestion. I think it makes sense, the tents are so light - i had a watch shipped to me and the box weight was listed as 2lbs! you can send it priority in the box it comes in and it won't be too much.

I don't know, but shooting Henry and e-mail or a call will get you the answer. If it doesn't have them, I am sure there is a solid rationale for it. I can't imagine the squall 2 without them - those were the lifeblood of the 'tweaking' ability that I enjoyed.

I've been thinking more about both tents and continue to be stumped about which is superior - both are great - if you knew you'd be in snow, you'd go cloudburst - if you count oz and try to eliminate 2 here, 1 there, 6 here, .5 there... then going with the squall is the natural choice based on saving 6oz.. that approaches half a pound..

Best luck on making a choice!

take-a-knee
04-24-2008, 23:48
Does anyone know if the cloudburst has integrated line tighteners? If not, is there a reason that it doesn't?

By integrated you mean the little ladderlocs that you can tighten buy pulling the tag end? Yes, I believe all current Tarptents use those, mine does. I also rigged JRB style slingshot rubber tensioners on the lines for each end.

88BlueGT
04-25-2008, 01:26
Ok I gotcha. I was just wondering because it lists it for the squall but not for the cloudburst. I'm ordering both tents tomorrow morning

88BlueGT
04-25-2008, 01:27
woops.... forgot the dancing banannas :banana:banana:banana

Squeamish
05-03-2008, 21:06
I am trying to decide on which to buy... It is IMPOSSIBLE TO DECIDE!!! If anyone has seen both of them and has prefered one of them for a specific reason, PLEASE let me know!!! Oh, Henry Shires was EXTREMELY helpful!!! I dropped him an e-mail and he got back to me in a couple of days.

Matteroo
05-08-2008, 04:34
88BlueGT,

any further action on this??
Just checking in, that guberment rebate looks nice in mr. shires wallet... and the tent setup somewhere beautiful here in oregon looks even nicer...

i am leaning towards cloudburst

Marta
05-08-2008, 07:22
I'd go with the lighter one.

MamaCat
05-08-2008, 15:01
I do plan on using poles with it as soon as I get a set :rolleyes: I'm a poor college student so funds are tight (as always). But school lets out in a few weeks and its back to full time work, so that means nice cash flow. Poles are next on my list after the tent for sure.

Ya don't have to spend a lot to get a set of poles. I use a couple I bought from super target that are eddie bauer poles - less than $30 for a pair. I like them. I bought them to try out trekking poles without shelling out the cash. I have been using them for a year and hadn't felt the need to buy more expensive ones. I think this is a link to them http://www.target.com/Telescopic-Walking-Stick/dp/B000MGGQE6/sr=1-1/qid=1210272984/ref=sr_1_1/601-1110091-7837741?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Awalking%20stick&page=1

Pootz
05-08-2008, 15:25
We have a squal 2, a rainbow, and a double rainbow, For 1 person the squal 2 is great, for 2 people it is ok as long as it is not raining. It is hard for 2 people to sleep in a squal 2 with out touching the sides. The rainbow works great for 1 person, and the double rainbow is great for 2 people. The rainbows have great headroom and are free standing when used with your hiking poles.

hopefulhiker
05-08-2008, 15:52
I would consider going on the AT and just start hiking with people you meet up with on the trail.. Everyone has there own pace and many people start the trail alone and just naturally form into little clusters of people...