PDA

View Full Version : GSI Solist

roasteroo
04-24-2008, 12:54
I have a question, has anyone here used the GSI solist and a pepsi can stove? I bought mine last night and tried to make hot cocco. What i noticed is the stove is way too powerful. The flames go up and around and over the lid of the pot sometimes. Is there a less powerful stove degign or am I going to have to go to a canister stove. I would like to hear the suggestions from ths knowledgable group.
Keith

oops56
04-24-2008, 13:14
I have a question, has anyone here used the GSI solist and a pepsi can stove? I bought mine last night and tried to make hot cocco. What i noticed is the stove is way too powerful. The flames go up and around and over the lid of the pot sometimes. Is there a less powerful stove degign or am I going to have to go to a canister stove. I would like to hear the suggestions from ths knowledgable group.
Keith
whats to o. d. of pot if to small it will go over the side.

roasteroo
04-24-2008, 13:16
O.D. of pot is about 6 inches.

HippieHiker
04-24-2008, 14:14
my pocket rocket works perfect with my soloist....i just wish it had some grooves in the bottom so it could grip the pot better

oops56
04-24-2008, 15:00
O.D. of pot is about 6 inches.

Sounds like something wrong with the stove burn holes not right got picture of stove

roasteroo
04-24-2008, 18:13
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24128&original=1&c=516

Skidsteer
04-24-2008, 18:15
Sounds like something wrong with the stove burn holes not right got picture of stove

Yep, a pop can stove should be fine with a six inch pot. Sounds like it's 'running away'.

roasteroo
04-24-2008, 18:21
Sorry about the empty post.
I put a pick in the gear gallery.
This is the first stove I made 5 years ago. Its cooked plenty of dinners as you can see. I do think it might be the burner holes. Some of them are kinda big. Worked great on my stainless steel cookware.

Any ideas?
I can probably borrow my friends dragonfly for my trip next week, but i would perfer to use alcohol. I made this stove from the pct hiker plans. Are there other plans out there that might better suit this pot? From what I can tell is lots lighter than my old pot, and transfers heat quicker.

Skidsteer
04-24-2008, 18:31
That actually looks like a decent job for a pop can stove.

Have you tried making the same design with V8 cans?

You could try Sgt Rock's Turbo V8 (http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/sgt_v8stove1.html).

A Supercat (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html)would also work and have a manageable flame pattern for your pot as well.

roasteroo
04-24-2008, 19:16
Thanks for the props on the build. This stove has served me well. Many overnights, week-long, and day trips with it. It is amazing the amount of people that will say yes to a winter hike if you tell them there is hot choc at the break.

Anyway, I overstated the diameter of the pot. It is actually 4 1/4''.
4 1/2'' high.

I will try both can stove designs. I cant find the can i saved for the cat stove.

oops56
04-24-2008, 19:21
I have made cat stoves out of tomato juice cans good flame for a 4 or 5 in. stove

Skidsteer
04-24-2008, 19:36
Anyway, I overstated the diameter of the pot. It is actually 4 1/4''.
4 1/2'' high.

Ah. That makes sense.

Try the V8 or tomato juice cans. The flame pattern will be a better fit for your pot.

John Klein
04-25-2008, 22:42
And here I thought it was just me. My pepsi can stove melted some of the orange material that covers the pot handles of my Soloist pot. Still, I'm fine with using a Pocket Rocket with the Soloist and using a K Mart grease pot with the pepsi can stove.

Skidsteer
04-25-2008, 23:25
And here I thought it was just me. My pepsi can stove melted some of the orange material that covers the pot handles of my Soloist pot. Still, I'm fine with using a Pocket Rocket with the Soloist and using a K Mart grease pot with the pepsi can stove.

It's possible to build a pepsi can stove with a flame pattern to fit a four inch pot but why bother when a juice can, V8, or wedding tin is a natural fit and lighter to boot? :)