PDA

View Full Version : How do you switch from poncho to tarp?

Ratatosk
02-03-2004, 07:59
Hi.

I'm currently using a light rain jacket & trousers + a Golite Lair tarp. I've seen these ponchos that doubles as a 1-person tarp. Should be lighter as a total than having the functions separated. But what I wonder is;

How do you switch from the poncho-usage to the tarp-usage if it is raining heavily? Is it possible to do the tarp setup from "inside"? If you have to take off the poncho first, you and the pack would get soaked? If you have to bring an umbrella or rain jacket for that occassion, the weight-gain is reduced.

Since I'm using a rather small pack, I plan to leave the waterproof pack liner at home and wear the back pack under the poncho if it is raining.

Your experiences welcomed!

Thanks.

HikeLite
02-03-2004, 23:04
I have heard of people setting up the poncho/tarp from under it after taking their pack off. Another guy would take off his pack and put on his groundcloth, which he had put a slit in for his head, making it a second makeshift poncho while he set up his tarp. Your pack could be placed in a garbage bag while doing this. I would probably try the second approach or putting on some secondary rain gear while setting up the tarp.

Ratatosk
02-10-2004, 10:34
Thanks for your input HikeLite. I have looked at the poncho/tarps that are for sale and figured that they are a bit small for my preferences, both as a poncho and as a tarp. (I’m 6’2 tall). I had another idea, though: A rather simple and cheap solution (since I already have the Lair 2 tarp), would be to slit a hole in the roof of the Golite Lair tarp and sew on a hood from a rain jacket I no longer use! By doing that, I should get a large, decent poncho and still have a great 3-season tarp. May look a bit dorky, but on the other hand, few ponchos are anything to show on the catwalk..

Youngblood
02-10-2004, 11:01
Since I'm using a rather small pack, I plan to leave the waterproof pack liner at home and wear the back pack under the poncho if it is raining.

You may want to re-think this strategy. There will be times when it is too hot to wear the poncho when it is raining and you will prefer to just get wet, however, you will still want to keep you gear dry. Also, I know people use packliners, but I prefer a pack cover because a pack cover keeps my pack drier (I said drier, not totally dry) and therefore lighter weight.

Youngblood

verber
02-11-2004, 02:56
Hi.

How do you switch from the poncho-usage to the tarp-usage if it is raining heavily? Is it possible to do the tarp setup from "inside"?
Yes, it is possible to do this with some practice. There are at least two ways that I have set up a poncho/tarp from the inside. The first only works with an extra long poncho (like what Dancing Light Gear used to make 116 inches x 62 inches). I squat down and pull my head out of the hood. Then I stake the left rear corner, then the right rear corner, and then I put in the remaining stakes still squatting. Finally I wrap a guideline around the poncho which is wrapped around my trekking poles handle. I raised the pole and stake out the guideline. Then I adjust the stake (if needed), put down a ground cloth, sit down, and take off my pack.
http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/poncho-front.jpg

The second approach I use is putting up a ridge line between two trees. Then I attach guidelines to the front left and right corners. I pull my head out of the hood put the front right corner of the poncho over the ridgeline and stake it out. Then I stake out the front left corner guideline, rotate under the poncho, attach guidelines, and repeat the process.

This is the approach I take. Haven't had a problem yet, though I should note that I typically seal the gear I most want to protect in plastic bags.

Ratatosk
02-13-2004, 08:43
The first only works with an extra long poncho (like what Dancing Light Gear used to make 116 inches x 62 inches). I squat down and pull my head out of the hood. Then I stake the left rear corner, then the right rear corner, and then I put in the remaining stakes still squatting. Finally I wrap a guideline around the poncho which is wrapped around my trekking poles handle. I raised the pole and stake out the guideline.
http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/poncho-front.jpg

Thanks Verber! I really like that setup your picture link showed, quick and easy just like with the Lair tarp. I actually have a piece of Silnylon at home which I could make a pocho/tarp out of. It is about 100"x55". Would that be enough for your setup you think? I suppose I could stake out the ponco/tarp from short lines in the 4 corners, about a foot each, to get a bit more head room under it.

verber
02-14-2004, 03:19
Thanks Verber! I really like that setup your picture link showed, quick and easy just like with the Lair tarp. I actually have a piece of Silnylon at home which I could make a pocho/tarp out of. It is about 100"x55". Would that be enough for your setup you think? I suppose I could stake out the ponco/tarp from short lines in the 4 corners, about a foot each, to get a bit more head room under it.
Yes.. I I expect that could work, though it would be a bit narrow for my taste. The poncho I am using has the hood place around 35% from the front edge, with the rest of the fabric going behind. The back 25% of the fabric could velcro up so if you where wearing a talk pack you would be fully covered, but if you didn't have a large pack the fabric could be velcroed up so it didn't drag on the ground.

--mark