PDA

View Full Version : tough call: 2 tents/tarps

ToyYoda
04-24-2008, 14:51
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/nighthaven.html

http://tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Ok.. sell me on one cause I cant make up my mind.

OR Nighthaven:
twice the room
smaller packed size
half the price
about .5lb heavier - but since its big enough for 2 we can bring one tent and split the weight when I'm not solo!!

TT rainbow:
sewn in floor
freestanding
.5lb lighter
half the room

not super worried about room for 2, mostly just room for myself + gear. that said, for the price the Nighthaven seems like a great choice to consider.

Quoddy
04-24-2008, 15:17
I've owned and used the Rainbow, but not the NightHaven.

The difference in price is only $59, not twice the price.

Since they both require treking poles, you do use them, right? Obviously the Rainbow does not require them unless setting up as free standing. I thought I'd use the freestanding mode a lot, but it turned out that I almost never did.... still, it's nice to have the option, like for when the only choice is a platform.

If you need, or will use the space for two, then there is no option.

I am a real TarpTent fan... great designs. My favorite is, by far, the Contrail.

ToyYoda
04-24-2008, 15:26
No, I dont use them, but I would since I could use them for either tent setup. That and I could probably use them. My left ankle hates me and loves to roll.

Lyle
04-24-2008, 15:35
If I were you, I would try poles before committing.

I use PacerPoles and love 'em, but a lot of folks never develop a liking for poles.

Not sure, does either manufacturer offer poles as an option for those who don't use trekking poles? If they do, you can then order the poles later if you decide against Trekking Poles.

ToyYoda
04-24-2008, 15:52
Good point.

The rainbow you dont need poles, they are just optional. The other however, I dont think they offer poles to swap in the place of trekking poles.

Blissful
04-24-2008, 16:36
A center pole in the middle of the tent is kind of a pain. Bumping into it, etc. We have a center pole in our kiva - it's big tent but I hate the pole.

I'd go with a hubba, personally. I like two wall tents in the Appalachians because of humidity. Our hubba hubba was great in the Whites.

Skidsteer
04-24-2008, 17:51
The Nighthaven really doesn't look like it would vent very well.

Never used it though so I could be wrong.

LIhikers
04-24-2008, 18:00
The Tarptent Rainbow is a great tent for one, but I'd consider it too tight for two on a regular basis. It can be set up either staked out or freestanding if you have hiking poles. Make the weight and price secondary to function. It doesn't matter how light or how cheap it is if it doesn't do what you need it to do.
And as Blissful mentioned, there might be other alternatives for you to explore.

ToyYoda
04-24-2008, 18:29
if I got the rainbow my buddy would have to bring his own shelter, I'm not looking to snuggle. lol

the hubba was what I originally started looking at, then I was opened to the world of tarptents. :D

I think I should probably just stick with first choice and go contrail or rainbow.

LIhikers
04-25-2008, 10:44
Ya can't go wrong with the Rainbow.

kytrailman
04-25-2008, 11:47
Toy- wassp man-- The rainbow is killer. I hardly ever use the trecking pole set up. If you stake it out, it is super ight. Everything about it is great.

bigcranky
04-25-2008, 12:34
The OR tent weight doesn't include the floor, as far as I can tell. Include the floor, and it's 52 ounces average packed weight. That's more than a pound heavier. From the OR site:

Area: 56.4 sq. ft./5.2 sq. m.
Avg. minimum weight: 34.1 oz./965
Avg. packaged weight: 37.4 oz./1060 g
Avg. packaged weight w/ footprint: 52.6 oz./1490 g

The Rainbow weight includes a floor and stakes.

Though I've never seen the Nighthaven in person, it looks from the photos like it won't ventilate nearly as well as the Rainbow. This can be an advantage in very cold weather -- but way bad in summer.

bigcranky
04-25-2008, 12:35
Oh, and the floor adds $39 to the price.

ToyYoda
04-26-2008, 00:46
well, you guys confirmed I should just stick w/ the rainbow.