PDA

View Full Version : NC Trail

Craig aka Chiz
04-24-2008, 15:35
Looking for a good over nighter or maybe even 2 day hike somewhere around the fontana dam area. Thanks in advance for any info.

bigcranky
04-24-2008, 19:01
Plenty of good hiking there. You can hike the AT from Fontana to Nantahala Outdoor Center (about 28 miles south) in 2 nights. You can also hike smaller sections, say, from Stecoah Gap back to Fontana as an overnight. Call Nancy and Jeff at The Hike Inn, and they can shuttle you. Parking at the dam is safe, or you can leave a car at the Inn. (It's very basic, but clean and friendly. Great hiker accommodations.)

Ramble~On
04-25-2008, 03:38
Below Fontana Dam is Cheoah Dam and just below Cheoah is Calderwood.
There is a trailhead at the bridge just below Cheoah Dam and this is where the Benton MacKaye crosses as it heads into the Smokies.
The Slickrock Creek Trail runs from this trailhead back along the lake and enters the Slickrock Creek Wilderness. This area and the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest are worth taking a look at.

Monkeyboy
04-25-2008, 18:46
How's the water in NC this season?

Hiking Deep Gap, NC to Fontana Lake this summer.

Blissful
04-25-2008, 20:44
Plenty of good hiking there. You can hike the AT from Fontana to Nantahala Outdoor Center (about 28 miles south) in 2 nights. You can also hike smaller sections, say, from Stecoah Gap back to Fontana as an overnight. Call Nancy and Jeff at The Hike Inn, and they can shuttle you. Parking at the dam is safe, or you can leave a car at the Inn. (It's very basic, but clean and friendly. Great hiker accommodations.)

That is a tough section, IMO. Lots of ups and downs. It would be a challenge to do 14 miles a day. I'd personally do the section before NOC -Silar, Wyah and Wesser bald areas. Overlooks, firetowers, etc. Winding Stair Gap to Rt19 (NOC). More scenic. Ron might be able to shuttle. But I disliked the Stecoah region anyway. :o

bigcranky
04-25-2008, 21:29
That is a tough section, IMO. Lots of ups and downs. It would be a challenge to do 14 miles a day.

Agreed, which is why I suggested a 3 day/2 night hike. Makes it much more doable.

Yes, it's a tough section, but I really enjoyed it. I did it as part of a long section, then went back and did it again as a weekend hike a couple of years ago.

Craig aka Chiz
04-26-2008, 06:46
Thanks for the information. I am trying to find some online maps of the area. Anyone have any links or info on these. Thanks in advance. Can't really go to any book stores at the moment, I am in the middle east for another month and when I come home I want to go hiking again and want to plan it. Thanks again!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-26-2008, 06:52
Link to 1.4 MB PDF map of GSMNP (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/trails2005.pdf) - includes trails, roads, campsites / shelters and creeks - does not list all water source.
Link to 1.62 MB PDF of 2007 ALDHA Companion for AT in GA, TN, NC (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn07.pdf) - gives mileage / elevations, road crossings, campsites /shelters, water sources, and many features

Craig aka Chiz
04-26-2008, 10:37
decided to do the NOC to Fontana dam, probably northbound. Anyone know where I can get a detailed map of that section?

Bare Bear
04-26-2008, 10:37
I second the NOC to Fontana assuming if you are coming back from the big sandy you will be in shape. You can get good cell reception at Stecoah Gap now and call Hike Inn if you need to shorten the route. It is a tough section but one of my favorites which is why I go back every year there. And you can not beat the hospitality at Hike Inn with Jeff and Nancy. 828 479-3677

Bare Bear
04-26-2008, 10:41
ATC has maps..........but you do not really need one. It is a tough three miles out of NOC then once you cross NC143 you have another mile of tough then it levels off more or less to Sweetwater Gap (another 800 feet up) then you can coast to Fontana the last six miles................In 06 I stopped about two miles out of NOC to camp for the night then made it to Fontana in two relatively easy days and if a fat old man like me made it????

Rambler
04-26-2008, 12:54
Be warned if you hike out of NOC to the shelter that is about 15 miles north, you will hike some of the steepest terrain anywhere on the AT. At the end of the day you will encounter a .8 mile stretch that climbs without switchbacks. Going south out of Fontana is also a steady uphill climb. Look at the National Geographic Trail map of the Great Smoky NP. You can find some excellent loop hikes out of Fontana, so you will not have to backtrack on the same trail. Ditto to those that have mentioned the Hike Inn. Here is one of the newest shelters in the Park you could hike to from Fontana: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2851381680045831896PiPsQP

Craig aka Chiz
04-26-2008, 14:01
Whats the milage from NOC to fontana? And whats the shelters along the way?

Craig aka Chiz
04-26-2008, 14:09
What about albert mountian loop?

Summit
04-26-2008, 15:33
What about albert mountian loop?That's a great choice! Park your car at the backcountry parking area just past the entrance to Standing Indian Campground (paved USFS road becomes gravel here). Hike the Long Branch Trail (2 mi.) up to Glassmine Gap - AT. Go right, taking you over Albert Mtn, Standing Indian Mtn, down to Deep Gap. From there leave the AT going down Kimsey Creek Trail (4 mi.) through Standing Indian Campground, back to your car!

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=lqjqflqq

Above is my anotated Delorme topo map. I know this section of trail very well, having done it many times!

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2008, 09:58
Off the top of my head, it's around 28 miles; there are several shelters: Sassafrass Gap, Brown Fork, Cable Gap.and then at the end, by the dam, there's the enormous Fontana Hilton. For more exact information, see the On-Line Version of the Thru-Hiker's Companion at www.aldha.org which has mileage charts and other info.

MOWGLI
04-27-2008, 10:31
Be warned if you hike out of NOC to the shelter that is about 15 miles north, you will hike some of the steepest terrain anywhere on the AT.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Steepest in the southeast? Maybe. In a few short sections. Compared to New England? Fuggetaboutit! I wouldn't want to do this section straight off the couch though. That's for sure.

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2008, 10:39
Mowgli's right. There's one very steep climb just past Sweetwater Gap, but the rest of the section is not that bad. I can think of around 20 places in Maine and NH that make this section look like a stroll in the park.

Kirby
04-27-2008, 10:56
Mowgli's right. There's one very steep climb just past Sweetwater Gap, but the rest of the section is not that bad. I can think of around 20 places in Maine and NH that make this section look like a stroll in the park.

Agreed, the climb past Sweetwater Gap is steep, but its not that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Kirby

Bare Bear
04-28-2008, 16:58
The climb out of NOC is a pretty steep three miles then it is not that bad. The Sweetwater Gap climb is only 800 feet. To me the best part of the NOC to Fontana paln is you can always go slow or fast and bail at Stecoah Gap (NC 143) , or Sweetwater Gap (dirt road but Hike Inn knows it) or go on to Fontana if the hike is going well.