PDA

View Full Version : GA Section Questions

Berserker
04-25-2008, 13:30
I saw the recent post by Urbansix, and didn't want to screw up his thread with all my questions. So I apologize in advance for what appears to be an identical post.

I will be section hiking the entire GA section a little ways into NC this summer. I have the following questions:
1. Is there long term parking (like a week long) at Amacalola SP?
2. There are many tent sites marked on the map (Three Forks, Gooch Gap, Slaughter Creek, etc.). What do these typically look like (i.e. are they only big enough for 1 party or is there room for several parties)?
3. I was planning to drop a food box at Watashi-Yi, and re-supply there whilst grabbing a bite to eat. This will be my first time trying a re-supply. Any issues with that plan (I will also call them up to check)? Do they have good hot food there (burgers, pizza, etc.)?
4. How are the conditions on FS 71 in NC? I saw a recent thread on this where the latest posts seem to suggest that a car could make it up there.
5. How about FS 67 in NC? Can a car make it up this road?

Any other tips, suggestions or nuggets of info ya’ll want to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

bigcranky
04-25-2008, 15:42
1. yes.
2. usually several parties. these tend to be overused, though, and look it.
3. Dropping a box at Walasi-yi Center is fine. The last time I was there they had microwavable food and a microwave.
4. Dunno about the FS routes. If you are talking about the road to Deep Gap in NC, that's usually fine, and there is a parking area at the Trail. But I would hike to or from the Standing Indian Campground via the Kimsey Creek Trail anyway.

bigcranky
04-25-2008, 15:46
Add:

There are plenty of places to camp if you just want to throw down and sleep. Fewer good places with water, though (these tend to be heavily used.) Lots of campsites around shelters, giving you a place to eat (with a table), a water supply, and a privy.

It'll be warm and buggy, and the trail may be overgrown with poison ivy. It's not as dry this year, so you should be able to find water.

max patch
04-25-2008, 16:51
FS67 and FS71 are both good roads. 4wd and/or high clearance is not necessary.

I agree with the comment that I'd rather hike from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground via the Kimsey Creek trail than take FS71 to Deep Gap. Either way is fine.

Berserker
04-25-2008, 17:41
Add:
It'll be warm and buggy, and the trail may be overgrown with poison ivy. It's not as dry this year, so you should be able to find water.

I've hiked quite a bit in the South (primarily NC and VA) in all seasons, and I assume GA is similar terrain/bugs/heat/etc. So I'm not concerned about all that. The thing that caught my attention was the specific mention of evil incarnate...poison ivy. Is that a big issue throughout the GA portion of the AT, or just a minor concern in isolated spots? the only reason I ask is that I have been repeatedly running into that stuff in the local park where I exercise, and it's been whuppin' my rear (got some relatively nasty rashes from it). So if it is a big problem then perhaps I need to carry some extra pants to change into around camp so I am not getting that crap (the oil) all over my stuff.

bigcranky
04-25-2008, 18:06
Funny about that. When we hiked in Georgia in early June ('03), there was lots of poison ivy all over the trail, but I was able to sort of walk in between the leaves. Never got any rashes. A lot depends on when the trail maintainers go through and trim back the growth.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-25-2008, 18:21
I've hiked quite a bit in the South (primarily NC and VA) in all seasons, and I assume GA is similar terrain/bugs/heat/etc. So I'm not concerned about all that. The thing that caught my attention was the specific mention of evil incarnate...poison ivy. Is that a big issue throughout the GA portion of the AT, or just a minor concern in isolated spots? the only reason I ask is that I have been repeatedly running into that stuff in the local park where I exercise, and it's been whuppin' my rear (got some relatively nasty rashes from it). So if it is a big problem then perhaps I need to carry some extra pants to change into around camp so I am not getting that crap (the oil) all over my stuff.

GA is hell for poison ivy both on and off the trail in my experience. I'm trying to remember though...there is some plant that generally occurs near poison ivy that you can apply to the area and it will dry it out very quickly. I know it occurs in GA (as it's all over my yard). Perhaps some of the more knowldgeable folks will at least know what it's called so that you can look it up. If not, I think I've got a book around here somewhere.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-25-2008, 18:27
Ah, here it is. Tom Brown's Field Guide - Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants. Jewelweed is the plant I was thinking of. You can make a wash from it. Personal experience...my husband cracked up some of the root/leaves and duct taped it over a rash of poison ivy that he got, it instantly soothed the itching and was gone within a day or two. In the book, it also gives an occurence of rubbing the areas of your body that made contact with the ivy immediately and the rash never occured. Anyway, good book and lists multiple natural remedies for poison ivy as well as many other things.

Anywhoooo, sorry about the thread hijack. Hope this helps someone though.

Berserker
04-28-2008, 08:44
FS67 and FS71 are both good roads. 4wd and/or high clearance is not necessary.

I agree with the comment that I'd rather hike from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground via the Kimsey Creek trail than take FS71 to Deep Gap. Either way is fine.

I saw that you and Big Cranky both mentioned hiking to Standing Indian Campground instead of taking FS71. Why? Is it just because FS71 is a slow long drive? I think I have been up FS71 before, but it has been a while so I can't remember what it was like. If I were to hike to the campground is there parking there (where I can park my car for a week)? How is the Kimsey Creek Trail?

Berserker
04-28-2008, 08:49
Ah, here it is. Tom Brown's Field Guide - Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants. Jewelweed is the plant I was thinking of. You can make a wash from it. Personal experience...my husband cracked up some of the root/leaves and duct taped it over a rash of poison ivy that he got, it instantly soothed the itching and was gone within a day or two. In the book, it also gives an occurence of rubbing the areas of your body that made contact with the ivy immediately and the rash never occured. Anyway, good book and lists multiple natural remedies for poison ivy as well as many other things.

Anywhoooo, sorry about the thread hijack. Hope this helps someone though.

Yeah, I feel like an idiot cause until about a week ago I didn't even know what posion ivy looked like. I had never gotten a rash from it before (don't know if I just never contacted it, or if I have contacted it several times and my luck finally ran out or what). So I studied some pictures on the web, and then paid attention the next time I went out. Well, it's everywhere in the park I train in. So now I am just trying to take preventative measures like staying away from it, and wearing pants. I also read about the jewelweed, and I may see if I can find some and try it.

earlyriser26
04-28-2008, 08:58
Took FS 71 last year and it was in good shape. Passable by car. I would use this as a drop off or pick up point, but not leave a car here. I just finished section hiking GA.

max patch
04-28-2008, 09:23
I saw that you and Big Cranky both mentioned hiking to Standing Indian Campground instead of taking FS71. Why? Is it just because FS71 is a slow long drive? I think I have been up FS71 before, but it has been a while so I can't remember what it was like. If I were to hike to the campground is there parking there (where I can park my car for a week)? How is the Kimsey Creek Trail?

Nothing wrong with FS71.

Kimsey Creek is just a nice 3.5 mile blue blaze hike.

You can park inside the campground with permission from the campground host.

While I have NEVER had a problem with vandalism when parking at Deep Gap; I just think that the campground is a safer place to park.

If someone is picking you up (I know this doesn't fit your situation) then meeting at the campground is a no brainer.

gearfreak
04-28-2008, 09:32
I just finished up at Deep Gap last Thursday and had my truck staged there by the shuttle service. The road is fine. It's about a six mile drive out to pavement. I wouldn't put an extra 3 miles on my hike unnecessarily. :cool:

bigcranky
04-28-2008, 13:46
Kimsey Creek is a nice trail. An extra three miles to me means that much more time on the trail (and not at work.) You can park at the Backcountry Information Center (fancy name for a trailhead sign) for a week.

Gray Blazer
04-28-2008, 14:11
Kimsey Creek is a nice trail. An extra three miles to me means that much more time on the trail (and not at work.) You can park at the Backcountry Information Center (fancy name for a trailhead sign) for a week.
Pretty trail and all downhill to the campground.

orangebug
04-28-2008, 14:55
Well, the Forum is GA section Questions, but it has morphed into Standing Indian.

Of course, that is my favorite hiking area. I hope to get up there in about 3 weeks to check out my new Quest pack and gear before Maine in June. I like going up Kimsey Creek and then down via the Lower Ridge Trail - 2 + miles of fairly straight down into the campgrounds.

Nearly Normal
04-28-2008, 17:39
Once in June I hiked Woody Gap to Neel's Gap over Blood Mountain in an all day cold rain. I was quite cold when I stoped at the shelter for lunch and to dry out.
The shelter was very dirty with no broom to sweep it out. Smelled like a Bourbon Street Ally.
Unless it has improved greatly I wouldn't stay there overnight unless the trail was froze over, and then I'd have to think about it.
Interesting to see but it had been trashed by bozo hikers.

orangebug
04-28-2008, 17:54
You saw the Blood Mtn shelter on a good day.

Kerosene
04-28-2008, 21:09
Pretty trail and all downhill to the campground.If it's a warm summer's day, give yourself enough time to soak in one of the many pools you'll pass a few miles down. Otherwise, if it's a sunny afternoon, time your descent as the sun is setting...it was very pretty with the sunlight slanting through the trees at your back as you descend.

Berserker
04-29-2008, 13:10
I just finished up at Deep Gap last Thursday and had my truck staged there by the shuttle service. The road is fine. It's about a six mile drive out to pavement. I wouldn't put an extra 3 miles on my hike unnecessarily. :cool:

Yeah, based on the mileage I am going to attempt (13 per day) and the amount of time I have (7 days with an optional 8th if needed), I don't really want to add on another 3.5 miles...primarily cause I'm lazy. Well, now come to think of it I could hike down Kimsey Creek, and just start the next section with the option of parking at Deep Gap. Hmm...I'll have to think about that. Parking in a safer area (the campground) as others have suggested would definitely give me good piece of mind.

To Nearly Normal: I saw that you are located in the Lowcountry of SC. Cool...I lived in Hampton, SC back in the late 80's/early 90's.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-29-2008, 13:39
Yeah, I feel like an idiot cause until about a week ago I didn't even know what posion ivy looked like. I had never gotten a rash from it before (don't know if I just never contacted it, or if I have contacted it several times and my luck finally ran out or what). So I studied some pictures on the web, and then paid attention the next time I went out. Well, it's everywhere in the park I train in. So now I am just trying to take preventative measures like staying away from it, and wearing pants. I also read about the jewelweed, and I may see if I can find some and try it.

Post rash, try plantain. That's what I was thinking of that the hubby duct taped to the rash. Jewelweed is a good wash to get the pils off your skin before the rash actually develops.

Dances with Mice
04-29-2008, 14:14
Post rash, try plantain. That's what I was thinking of that the hubby duct taped to the rash. Jewelweed is a good wash to get the pils off your skin before the rash actually develops.How do you use the plantain? Do you peel it first or just tape a big banana to your rash?

Thru Hiker Wife
04-29-2008, 14:21
How do you use the plantain? Do you peel it first or just tape a big banana to your rash?

Um, plantain as in what grows in your yard (since you're a GA native I assume you have it all over just like I do...damn "weeds"). My husband just plucked some out of the yard, wadded the leaves all up and then duct taped it over the rash.

greentick
04-29-2008, 15:27
There is a product called Tecnu which will deactivate the resin. There are also products you can pre apply. If you are that sensitive my be worth checking out.

Tecnu
http://www.rei.com/product/751259

Armor
http://www.gardenersarmor.com/poisonivy.php

Nearly Normal
04-29-2008, 17:01
Yeah, based on the mileage I am going to attempt (13 per day) and the amount of time I have (7 days with an optional 8th if needed), I don't really want to add on another 3.5 miles...primarily cause I'm lazy. Well, now come to think of it I could hike down Kimsey Creek, and just start the next section with the option of parking at Deep Gap. Hmm...I'll have to think about that. Parking in a safer area (the campground) as others have suggested would definitely give me good piece of mind.

To Nearly Normal: I saw that you are located in the Lowcountry of SC. Cool...I lived in Hampton, SC back in the late 80's/early 90's.

Ever eat at Lester's BBQ between Hampton and Estill?
Living where you do today I hope you have taken advantage of Jefferson Pools. Looks like a short day trip. Very cool place to soak. I lived in the Manasas area before the sprall crawled out and killed the horse country.
Va. is a very pretty place. Hiked all over in the scouts.
Enjoy your hike.

Berserker
04-30-2008, 12:41
Ever eat at Lester's BBQ between Hampton and Estill?
Living where you do today I hope you have taken advantage of Jefferson Pools. Looks like a short day trip. Very cool place to soak. I lived in the Manasas area before the sprall crawled out and killed the horse country.
Va. is a very pretty place. Hiked all over in the scouts.
Enjoy your hike.

I don't remember if I ever hit that BBQ joint or not. As for up here I moved here last summer from Charlotte, so I haven't been here long enough to do a whole heck of a lot in the immediate area yet. I can say that it is nice being closer to the mountains though.