PDA

View Full Version : Question on area south of hotsprings

chetjan_1950
04-25-2008, 13:49
I am looking at hiking the section from davenport gap to hotsprings the first week of June. I have a few questions:

1) how is the water supply at the various spots that time of year
2) The shelters appear a little small, is it best to count on tenting in June
3) Any recommendations for staying in Hot springs

Thanks

Jack Tarlin
04-25-2008, 14:13
*Water should be just fine
*98% of thru-hiker traffic will be gone by June; you should be OK re. shelters,
but bring a tent or tarp anyway, there's plenty of great camping sites
*Try the Duckett House Inn or Elmer's

HugeHill
04-25-2008, 14:44
I'll be in the same area in 2 weeks. Will let you know.

SGT Rock
04-25-2008, 15:23
There are lots of good campsites in the area. The shelters in that section are not the best - so unless you just want to be at a shelter, I wouldn't set my hike plan by them.

wilconow
04-25-2008, 15:46
I remember Walnut Mtn and Deer Park were pretty old but the new Roaring Fork and Groundhog weren't bad.

On top of Bluff Mountain there are some nice campsites, I think they're dry though

SGT Rock
04-25-2008, 15:54
I remember Walnut Mtn and Deer Park were pretty old but the new Roaring Fork and Groundhog weren't bad.

On top of Bluff Mountain there are some nice campsites, I think they're dry though
Well if I were going to do that section I would want to camp near or on Max Patch instead of staying at Roaring Fork - I hate the front of that shelter and the hole it feels like it is in.

Rambler
04-26-2008, 12:33
I do not have maps or guide book with me at the moment, but the Outfitters named after the nearest mountain to the south, Bluff?? maybe, is a good source for water reports given to them daily by hikers who pass through. The trail goes down main street in Hot Springs right by their front door and also right by the post office. The diner you come to on your right if you are hiking north is also a fine spot for dinner, lunch or breakfast. I found plenty of good places to camp near or in between shelters. The hostel/inn/cabins right near Davenport Gap, just off the trail is another good source for water information, and they have a small store with essentials like matches or peanut butter that is open most the time and is based on the honor system if no one is there. The owner provides shuttle service, too. The shelter nearest to Hot Springs to the south did not have water last fall.

Tennessee Viking
04-26-2008, 14:53
I am looking at hiking the section from davenport gap to hotsprings the first week of June. I have a few questions:

1) how is the water supply at the various spots that time of year
2) The shelters appear a little small, is it best to count on tenting in June
3) Any recommendations for staying in Hot springs

Thanks
1. Last summer was a drought. But right now, everything is flowing well. As soon as you pass Max Patch, you are in the Roaring Creek gorge. It has a great flow.
2. The new Roaring Creek Shelter is open and fairly large.
3. Elmers is always a classic. There is also the campground, if you want to go cheap. Then the Spa if you got the money.

joec
04-27-2008, 16:52
I stayed at Bridge Street Inn which is downtown across from the outfitter. About $70/nite and is next door to the bar.

hammock engineer
04-27-2008, 18:38
Definitly check out Elmer's. A great stay. If he cooks, definitly do it. Great meal. I am not a vegan, but all his food is and I thought it tasted great.

Be careful of the 2nd shelter south of Hot Springs, I can't remember the name off hand. I spent a really windy rainy night there in December. It is on the ridge and at that time of year was completly exposed. My be different now, but the one south of that is pretty new. I remember there being a site or 2 south of this shelter that might work. Yeah I could have setup on the backside of the shelter off the ridge, but I wasn't equiped for it.