PDA

View Full Version : Trail Birds

Brushy Sage
02-03-2004, 14:41
As I came up the AT in 2002, I began hearing the lilting song of the Wood Thrush (didn't know what it was until "Birdnut," a birder, identified it for me). That birdsong became a familiar and comforting sound, and I heard it all through Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and up to Pearisburg, VA, where I changed plans and went home to Maryland. When I went out on the MD AT, I heard the wood thrush song again, but it sounded slightly different from that of the Georgia birds. I'm wondering if birds, like humans, have different "accents" in different parts of the country? Also just pointing out that the 2004 thru hikers have a treat in store from the songs of AT birds.

Blue Jay
02-03-2004, 15:08
I'm not a birder but years spent in the wood have led me to believe there are accents. Their songs do change slightly in different parts of the country. I have even noticed it in the Adirondacks, the west side sounds slightly different than the east. It is hard to notice unless you stay out there and move through the changes. The Wood Thrush and the Winter Wren seem to change the most. The Cell Phone Vulture changes the least. It's the exact same Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, endlessly from one side of the globe to the other.

MOWGLI
02-03-2004, 15:29
As I came up the AT in 2002, I began hearing the lilting song of the Wood Thrush (didn't know what it was until "Birdnut," a birder, identified it for me). That birdsong became a familiar and comforting sound, and I heard it all through Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and up to Pearisburg, VA, where I changed plans and went home to Maryland. When I went out on the MD AT, I heard the wood thrush song again, but it sounded slightly different from that of the Georgia birds. I'm wondering if birds, like humans, have different "accents" in different parts of the country? Also just pointing out that the 2004 thru hikers have a treat in store from the songs of AT birds.

There are several Thrushes that sound similar along the trail. The Hermit Thrush has a song that is similar to that of the Wood Thrush. There is also the Swainson's Thrush which is primarily a northern breeder. Lastly, you have my favorite bird song in the Appalachian Mountains - that of the Veery. The Veery has a very distinct song that is simply beautiful.

The rarest of all Thrushes along the trail is the Bicknells Thrush, which is limited to peaks above 4000' in the White Mountains of NH and in Maine.

In answer to your direct question, yes, bird song does vary within species depending upon the geographic range. What you are probably hearing however, is different species of Spotted Thrushes.

One last thing... The Wood Thrush is often the first bird to sing in the morning. Listen for it's flute-like notes starting around Mid-May (like most eastern thrushes - excepting the American Robin - this species winters in Latin America) just before first light.

Brushy Sage
02-03-2004, 16:11
........ In answer to your direct question, yes, bird song does vary within species depending upon the geographic range. What you are probably hearing however, is different species of Spotted Thrushes.

One last thing... The Wood Thrush is often the first bird to sing in the morning. Listen for it's flute-like notes starting around Mid-May (like most eastern thrushes - excepting the American Robin - this species winters in Latin America) just before first light.[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, MOWGLI16

Great information! And, yes, it is a beautiful song to wake up with -- beats any alarm clock!