PDA

View Full Version : Go to Springer and start walking

10-K
04-25-2008, 15:17
Hey Ya'll... I'm finishing up last minute arrangements on the section hike my son and I are doing from Springer to Fontana next week and as far as food goes I'm just going to carry enough to get from Springer to Neel's Gap and pick up the rest along the way somewhere, forgetting about doing any type of mail drop, etc.

No problem there - right?

SGT Rock
04-25-2008, 15:17
Right. Have a good time.

excuses
04-25-2008, 22:42
After neel's try dick's gap. lots of shuttles waiting for riders 3 weeks ago. take the kimsey trail at deep gap to standing bear for shuttle into Franklin. easy at noc and out at fontana. have a great hike.

Gray Blazer
04-25-2008, 23:10
After neel's try dick's gap. lots of shuttles waiting for riders 3 weeks ago. take the kimsey trail at deep gap to standing bear for shuttle into Franklin. easy at noc and out at fontana. have a great hike. Prolly means Standing Indian

10-K
04-26-2008, 05:59
Well, the plan is to carry enough food to get to Neel's Gap.

Then hitch into Hiwassee from Dick's Creek Gap

Then call Ron when we get to Winding Stair Gap and get a ride to Franklin

Then hike to NOC and I'm leaning towards sending a mail drop here....

Then hike to Fontana Dam.

Basically, it looks like 5 short section hikes strung together.

Kirby
04-26-2008, 08:00
Resupply in Franklin after Neel's, then stay with Ron Haven and buy enough food to get you to Fontana Dam, the NOC has a poor selection and a lot of hikers were upset they did not pack out enough food from Franklin or send a mail drop there.

Enjoy your section hike.
Kirby

Bare Bear
04-26-2008, 10:28
Between NOC and the Bald take enough water up to camp overnight on the bald itself if it is not too windy...great views over Robbinsville...then on to Fontana. Water at Stecoah Gap (NC143) crossing is way downhill and you may want to carry enough water to skip that extra hike if you can. It is a tough three miles to the shelter and your next water source after the Gap though.