PDA

View Full Version : Bird eyesight question

mudhead
04-25-2008, 19:36
I was walking around a lake, and noticed a loon riding very high in the water.

Cool. Then it hooted a couple short cries. Hmm. I wondered what had it stirred up. Then Mr. Eagle swooped in, and did several widening circles around the loon. Their interaction stopped me in my tracks. Usually I watch animals without breaking stride on flat stuff, but this was interesting.

So, the loon puffed up more, the eagle got bored and swooped me. Did a couple turns and went off to do what eagles do...

This is the second time in different locations that I have been scrutinized by mature bald eagles of late. The difference of late is that I have gone to a bright blue jacket, wicked DWR, slight sheen, from a dull old dark color, no DWR.

This leads to several questions: What is the method that loons use to ride higher in the water? Butt out of the water high.

Have the eagles suddenly gotten nosey here, are they attracted to blue, or do they have a spring curiosity?

UV refectivity-Does a site or chart someplace explain what different colors might appear as, to an eye that picks up UV?

Thanks ahead.

generoll
04-25-2008, 19:52
an interesting question and my compliments on your powers of observation. I have absolutely no idea what the answer is but wanted to give this a bump to keep the thread active.

rickb
04-25-2008, 19:55
I never heard this before, but found your question most interesting. I did a quick google and found this http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/research/vision/4d.htm but would like to learn even more. The whole idea of how some birds not only see UV, but also see in 4 dimensions was completely new to me.

emerald
04-25-2008, 23:00
I don't know what the mechanism for riding higher may be and I don't know I ever even heard of such a thing before. Could it have been a deliberate attempt to look larger and thus be less attractive as prey or to at least discourage harassment?

I remember posting some time ago about a TV program on raptors maybe in Rick's bird poll. The anatomy of raptor eyes was described to some extent in the course of the program although it was aimed more at explaining why raptor vision is much sharper than man's.

Seeker
04-26-2008, 00:26
not sure if some/all birds are colorblind, but i have a relative who is red/green colorblind (which, i understand, is what many animals are). however, he CAN see blue like nobody's business, and he's mentioned to me that his hunting partner(s) are very visible to him if they wear something bright blue.

so maybe your eagle was attracted by the new jacket.

Mr HaHa
04-26-2008, 07:28
I never heard this before, but found your question most interesting. I did a quick google and found this http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/research/vision/4d.htm but would like to learn even more. The whole idea of how some birds not only see UV, but also see in 4 dimensions was completely new to me. A very interesting link! As any even casual backyard bird watcher has observed, birds see there world in a much different manner than other mammals. And what a colorful world it must be!

mudhead
04-26-2008, 09:10
I don't know what the mechanism for riding higher may be and I don't know I ever even heard of such a thing before. Could it have been a deliberate attempt to look larger and thus be less attractive as prey or to at least discourage harassment?

I have seen them riding higher before, but this was extra-high. After the "puff up," I took it as trying to look bigger. Worked from my vantage.

so maybe your eagle was attracted by the new jacket.

The fun question is what does bright blue appear to be from a bird's eye view.

I'd hate to think I look like a deer carcass.

Quite alot of study has been done, but I get a little fuzzy once discussion of rod oil color starts.

emerald
04-26-2008, 09:38
There are few opportunities to see what appears to us as bright blue in nature and I can't think of anything as large as a human being wearing a jacket and it was moving too. This color in motion may have been cause enough for investigation in itself.

Can you imaging soaring, looking down on the world and seeing something BIG that looks "flourescent orange?" You might wonder, "What the **** is that?:-? I don't know, but I'm about to find out!"

"Oh, just another one of those silly monkey-men who needs a machine to do everything and now they have a new color of jackets to attract mates. Wait until the boys see this one!":rolleyes:

mudhead
04-26-2008, 19:06
Rolling to the top.

mudhead
04-30-2008, 09:15
In case some bird type is bored today.

StarLyte
04-30-2008, 09:40
The loon was trying to disguise himself (?)

For more information on birds, go to:

www.birdsource.org

You can also report what you have observed at this website.

Just filled up my hummingbird feeders; I live 2 blocks from Lake Erie, so I have to work extra hard at attracted them. (sorry for deviation).

We do not have loons here, but we have eagles and lots of hawks.

I love birds !

emerald
04-30-2008, 13:11
Just filled up my hummingbird feeders; I live 2 blocks from Lake Erie, so I have to work extra hard at attracting them. (sorry for deviation).

Plant Aquilegia canadensis L. (http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=AQCA) I don't do hummingbird magic, but I plant native perennials and do what I can to help promote groups which provide, acquire and manage wild areas, especially those which serve to educate the public.

I like hummers too. Click on Hummingbirds (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=610531#post610531) and tell us more.