PDA

View Full Version : Blackflies

mudhead
04-25-2008, 19:43
Was talking with a guy from Loudon, NH today. He told me that the blackflies were out down there. I don't think he had been sniffing glue, because he had the properly disgusted grimace.

I have yet to see them in Acadia. It is very dry here, but it is early.

Anyone have any bug reports for me?

Cosmo
04-25-2008, 19:48
Just starting to come out in the valley area in N Mass. The recent hot dry weather may reduce their numbers. 'Sposed to rain next week so we'll see...

Cosmo

Roland
04-25-2008, 19:48
I was in the Presidentials, today. No blackflies yet. But, I did swat a 1/2-dozen mosquitoes; big, fat, slow ones. They circled, but didn't bite.

woodsy
04-25-2008, 21:15
Anyone have any bug reports for me?Nope......just a couple dog ticks on me so far. picking them up in the woods., Or are they picking me up?

Philippe
04-25-2008, 21:37
I did my 4 mile constitutional today, and there were a few blackflies. If this weather held, I'd expect to be swarmed in a couple weeks, but I don't think it will. I'm on the coast by the Bagaduce River, and we are much milder than say 10 miles inland. The wife came home with a tick on her slacks last week, but it hadn't gotten to gnawing into her yet. Ah, the joys of spring.

4eyedbuzzard
04-25-2008, 22:19
None yet here in the CT river upper valley from Hanover, NH to St Johnsbury, VT. A few mosquitos. The wasps and hornets have been pretty active though.

Mr. Clean
04-26-2008, 05:21
They are here in southern Maine, they are biting, and they are freaking BIG. Thought they were chickadees at first.

Amberalicia
04-26-2008, 10:30
No black flies in Northeast Harbor. Something bit me on the neck during a hike last week. It was much larger than a blackfly and buzzed off after doing the bite. AA

Chef2000
04-26-2008, 19:36
I was on AT in October Mt state forest today and no bugs

Frosty
04-26-2008, 22:15
Black flies were out in Pawtuckaway yesterday (Friday). Got in my eyes and ears but weren't biting.

Tinker
04-27-2008, 22:57
We had a few blackflies on the North-South Trail in RI last weekend, no biters. I heard that the males hatch first, that they don't bite, then the females come out, mate, and begin biting. It may be too early for the females yet.

I have my first official thruhike!!!!!! North-South Trail (78 miles) in four days and three hours.

alauver
04-28-2008, 00:59
lots of blackflies in southern va..lots of them

ki0eh
04-28-2008, 19:59
I have my first official thruhike!!!!!! North-South Trail (78 miles) in four days and three hours.

Congratulations!! Is it tough to find places to camp, get water, excrete, etc. on that trail?

And to bring it back on topic, what other wildlife did you see? :)

Panzer1
04-28-2008, 22:30
The only good black fly,
is a dead black fly.:D

Panzer

Cosmo
04-30-2008, 20:15
Chuck--
I was out on my section the next day (27th) and they were swarming pretty good at the VT border--eyes ears and nose. As long as I was moving, they were OK, unfortunately I had two big blowdowns to clear just south of the border... No biters yet, fortunately. I wonder what they do when I'm not around to bother.

Saw no hikers (odd for such a pretty Sunday).

Spring ephermerals are just out:
Trout Lilly
Trillium (just buds)
Spring Beauties
Hobblebush was at about half mast. After this rain, things should really start popping.

Cosmo

I was on AT in October Mt state forest today and no bugs

The Scribe
04-30-2008, 21:51
Black flies were out in Pawtuckaway yesterday (Friday). Got in my eyes and ears but weren't biting.

One of my favorite places when I lived in Southern NH.

The Scribe
04-30-2008, 21:52
The only good black fly,
is a dead black fly.:D

Panzer

Careful. That's the Maine State Bird you are talking about. :eek:

Tinker
04-30-2008, 23:32
Congratulations!! Is it tough to find places to camp, get water, excrete, etc. on that trail?

And to bring it back on topic, what other wildlife did you see? :)

There are two places to camp, one at mile 13.7 and another at mile 36 or something like that. There's a motel right on the trail at mile 53, and after that, nothing legal before the end of the trail at mile 78. Water was not a problem. We excreted (I like the word extruded - more graphic :eek:) at the campsites. Stayed at home on nights 3 and 4. Hiked last 4 miles beginning at 3:30 am (8 miles both ways to return to vehicles). Easy hike. Saw seagulls, blue heron, squirrels, lots of birds, a lady on a horse in Arcadia St. Park. No deer or anything of any size.
Easy hike. Lots of boring road walking, though.

mudhead
05-07-2008, 20:07
Bumpers. No biters yet.

Had something go for the ear, but the ear was sweaty. No identifiable parts left after the reflex smush. Acted like a blackflie.

Oh yeah, I have tourists. Earlier and earlier each year it seems.

4eyedbuzzard
05-07-2008, 20:10
They're starting to come out here around Littleton, NH (just north of Franconia Notch).

Philippe
05-07-2008, 20:37
Annie Oakley and I took a walk up the South Bubble in Acadia and the blackflies were waiting for us. I'm betting that long sleeves will be all the fashion next week. I'm off for Springer to start out on Wednesday. Mudhead, what did you do with all that blueberry wine?

mudhead
05-08-2008, 09:22
Mudhead, what did you do with all that blueberry wine?

I will admit to sharing.

glacier48
05-08-2008, 09:45
I live in Bangor, 1 1/2 hours south/east of Abol and we have not seen the invasion of the blackflies yet. My husband has seen 4. The snow was so much and so late this year that we are hoping for only a little invasion. If there is such a thing.
:sun
Glacier

Uncle Tom
05-08-2008, 10:16
I live here on the coast of Maine about an hour south of Acadia. The blackflies are out full force as of three days ago. Thick. I was up on top of Bald Rock Mountain two days ago in a breeze and they were at it. A friend has several bad bites already. They're Back!

mudhead
05-08-2008, 12:55
Right on that Mother's Day schedule that some clever devil posted.

You can keep those biters on your side of Penobscot Bay. Ah well. Should be fun watching the tourists take a bath in Off.

attroll
05-12-2008, 01:02
Yes they were out in full force where I live here in Maine today and biting I might add.

canoehead
05-12-2008, 06:11
Just confirming what Cosmo said. :eek: They're Back in Western MA.

WalkinHome
05-12-2008, 16:59
Just back from Monson a couple of hours ago, highway (south end of the wilderness) to the Doughty Pond side trail, no black flies, no snow, wet and soggy but in good shape for this time of year. Dumped the snowshoes early on.

glacier48
05-13-2008, 08:11
Update from Bangor Maine. The black flies are here and they are terrible. Swarms and swarms.

Glacier