PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Pages On The Trail

Kirby
04-26-2008, 08:31
Hey everyone.

I bumped into a thread where everyone was arguing about the pros and cons of each handbook. I thought that since I was carrying the Appalachian Pages and doing a voluntary field edit, I would comment on it. I will simply break it down into "pros" and "cons". Please note that any inaccurate information I have found has been passed along to ATtroll. I imagine once that information is confirmed it will be posted on their site.

Pros:
*Built in profile gives you a good idea of the terrain for planning purposes.

*Town information(95% of the time) listed on the page adjacent to where the town shows up on the data page.

*Preforated pages allow for easy removal.

Cons:
*Provides a smaller amount of town information than the other two guidebooks.

*Some semi-important pages, like the names and numbers of all the gear reps and information about the ATC, are listed on random pages as opposed to being put together either in the very front or very back of the book.

This is my objective assessment of the book thus far. A lot of hikers out here are fond the built in profile, and has lead quite a few hikers to ditch their guidebook and pick up the Appalachian Pages.

Please feel free to PM me with questions about on trail use. Please PM Troll with any questions about the creation and format of the book itself.

Hope this helps,
Kirby

Jack Tarlin
04-26-2008, 09:07
I would add that any place mentioned in the book as a possible maildrop location should have COMPLETE info on mailing address, etc. The other day we needed to send a package to Hot Springs but the book didn't give the address for the Outfitter.

Luckily, we had a computer handy, but in a small town, a computer-less hostel, etc., not everyone is so lucky. More complete town information would be a great improvement.

Bare Bear
04-26-2008, 10:32
Kirby, please excuse my ignorance but what is the source of the Guide of which you speak? I keep hoping the ATC will keep improving their guide so that it beocomes The Guide and ATC will benefit and thus the Trail itself will benefit. I have used Wingfoots and the ATC and found both lacking in some areas.

Kirby
04-26-2008, 10:39
Well, I know the AP gets their milage points from the ATC. I believe they collected everything else from scratch.

Good point Jack, I will note that and pass it along in case Troll does not see this.

Kirby

RITBlake
04-26-2008, 10:49
the built in profile charts are brilliant

Roland
04-26-2008, 16:45
Kirby, please excuse my ignorance but what is the source of the Guide of which you speak? ~

I believe this is what you're asking for. http://appalachianpages.com/

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2008, 09:44
The built in profiles also encourage people to not carry actual maps, which in my opinion is not particularly wise.

Travelling in the backcountry without a map is hardly brilliant.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-27-2008, 10:13
I concur with Kirby's observations about AP - The profile is useful for getting a general idea of what lies ahead, layout (mileage chart and info on adjacent pages) is excellent, perforated pages are a nice feature.

I agree info about manufactures, trail organizations, ect need better organization and I agree with Jack that the full mailing addy of all mail drops should be included.

If I were designing the perfect guide for myself, I would use the AP's layout and perforated pages, ALDHA's mileage chart and the Handbooks' town info.

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2008, 10:35
Having hiked almost 300 miles so far and having talked with many of this year's hikers, the most frequent complaints about A.P. that I've heard involve incomplete info (like addresses of businesses, etc.)

However, in addition to omitting useful information, there are some whopper errors: On Page 30, it says that Hot Springs Campground does shuttles and accepts maildrops. Um, no, they don't do shuttles; they've never accepted hiker maildrops there, and in point of fact, lots of folks who sent stuff there had their mail returned, which was not exactly pleasing to the hikers who arrived in town to discover their mail was hundreds of miles away. For hikers expecting money, ATM cards, prescriptions, this was not a good thing... .. and was entirely avoidable. The book's next edition needs better fact-checking, plain and simple. Otherwise, regrettably, other folks may follow the lead of Bluff Mountain Outfitters, and will stop selling the book.

Skyline
04-27-2008, 10:41
I concur with Kirby's observations about AP - The profile is useful for getting a general idea of what lies ahead, layout (mileage chart and info on adjacent pages) is excellent, perforated pages are a nice feature.

I agree info about manufactures, trail organizations, ect need better organization and I agree with Jack that the full mailing addy of all mail drops should be included.

If I were designing the perfect guide for myself, I would use the AP's layout and perforated pages, ALDHA's mileage chart and the Handbooks' town info.

LOL.

This is partially why I buy all three and reconstruct my own "guide" using old fashioned analog cut-and-paste (well, to be factual, cut-and-tape), and a photocopy machine. Each guide has something great that the other two don't.

MOWGLI
04-27-2008, 10:49
For hikers expecting money, ATM cards, prescriptions, this was not a good thing... .. and was entirely avoidable.

Just a point regarding what Jack said. Yes. It was entirely avoidable. They could have, and in my opinion, should have called ahead to verify that mail drops are accepted. Anyone that assumes that it's OK to mail money, ATM cards and prescriptions to a business without calling ahead first is asking for trouble.

Personally, I would never, and have never sent a package to myself at a non-post office, and assumed that it was OK because I read it in a guidebook. Places close or change policies. Guidebooks make mistakes. While you don't want to annoy a small business owner with phone calls, there are always other questions to ask when you call the establishment, because if you're mailing yourself a drop to a hostel or campground, it behooves you to stay there IMO.

In other words, no book is sufficient to blindly mail yourself vital resupply items without prior verification that it's OK.

Having said that, I hope the 2nd edition of the Appalachian Pages improves it's accuracy. I'm sure it will.

Skyline
04-27-2008, 10:49
The built in profiles also encourage people to not carry actual maps, which in my opinion is not particularly wise.

Agree with the wisdom of carrying real trail maps.

But to cast blame on AP for people not carrying real maps is a stretch. There have always been people who wanted to save money and/or weight by going without trail maps. The inaugural issue of AP hasn't suddenly caused this. And even if it had, wouldn't it be better to try to teach those few the wisdom of carrying real maps rather than trashing a guidebook for trying to be better than its competition, format-wise?

You and I both know these folks have a habit of looking at other people's maps, anyway.

Kirby
04-27-2008, 10:54
Well, Jack, instead of ranting here about it, pass it along to Troll or Awol so that can be changed. You seem content with tearing the guidebook apart without helping build it up.

Again, if anyone finds any errors, please pass them along to Troll VIA PM, that's what I have been doing. I told troll about the mail drop address idea, and he agreed.

Also, don't make this thread a debate over whether to carry maps. Maps should be carried, the built in profile makes planning a day based on the terrain a little easier.

Jack, next time you roll through Neel's Gap, you should tell them to stop pitching the Appalachian Pages as an excuse not to carry maps, which they did to me.

To the trail I go,
Kirby

max patch
04-27-2008, 12:01
I'm obviously in the minority here, but I DON'T WANT perforated pages. I want my book to stay intact. I never rip pages out of my books.

And as far as the profiles...I carry maps. Always. So I don't need em in the handbook.

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2008, 12:45
Kirby:

Calm yourself. My post above was hardly a "rant." It was based on observations made of other hikers, it was based on discussions I've had with other hikers; it was based on a discussion with the staff and owners of the Outfitter, who have lived in, and have done business in Hot Springs for many years.

Everything I said in the above post was true.

And Kirby, I've made a handful, repeat HANDFUL of posts about this book. It's not like I'm on some crusade to tear the book apart, as you so vividly put it. So lighten up.

All I did was point out that the book has some serious mistakes, and it's not some little thing like listing a restaurant that has closed. Telling folks to send mail to a place that has NEVER wanted or accepted hiker mail is a serious error, and it was entirely avoidable, assuming the field editor for A.P. (and the actual authors) had done better fact checking.

If it was YOUR medicine or money or something equally important that had been re-routed because of carelessness, I rather doubt you'd be so cavalier about it. (And we're not talking about just one or two folks, either!)

So lighten up, Kirby. The book was rushed into print and it has a lot of mistakes. By pointing these out, I'm not tearing the book apart. I'm pointing these problems out so that these mistakes and omissions can hopefully be addressed in subsequent editions of the book. Why you have a problem with this escapes me.

Oh, and I've talked to at least half a dozen people who said in no uncertain terms that they "didn't need maps" because they had the profiles in AP Pages, so when I say that the profiles discourage folks from carrying real maps, this is perfectly true. Sorry this fact bothers you.

Lastly, Kirby, I did indeed pass my concerns on to Troll. I did this when I posted to his website, where I assume that he'll see what was written. In that this thread is devoted to his own book, I think it's safe to assume that he'll see this discussion. You said my comments should be placed where Troll and AWOL would see them.

Um, that's just what I did, Kirby.

dmax
04-27-2008, 13:04
Also, don't make this thread a debate over whether to carry maps. Maps should be carried,

???????

CrumbSnatcher
04-27-2008, 13:10
maps are nice to have,IMO i woulndn't want the perforated pages either. kirby and B.jack thankyou both for trying to help with the problem and for giving back to the trail as you have many times before... good hiking

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-27-2008, 13:13
I'm obviously in the minority here, but I DON'T WANT perforated pages. I want my book to stay intact. I never rip pages out of my books.

And as far as the profiles...I carry maps. Always. So I don't need em in the handbook.While I haven't used the book as extensively as a thru-hiker would, the perforations appear to be such that the book can and will remain intact if that is what is wished.

CrumbSnatcher
04-27-2008, 13:17
While I haven't used the book as extensively as a thru-hiker would, the perforations appear to be such that the book can and will remain intact if that is what is wished.
thats good i haven't seen the book yet. thanks

bulldog49
04-27-2008, 13:43
The complaint that the profile should not be in the book because someone may decide not to carry a map is lame at best. Kinda like saying seat belts should be removed from cars because folks might speed because they feel safer with them. Actions have consequences and I don't concern myself with folks who make stupid decisions.

I like the profile because when I'm using the book I can easily see the profile corresponding with the data points. No reason to dumb the book down for people who may make unwise choices.

max patch
04-27-2008, 13:48
Kirby reported that the folks at Neel Gap told him that if he got AP he wouldn't need maps....

Seems like the time spent developing the profile info should have been spent fact checking, based upon user reports.

MOWGLI
04-27-2008, 14:05
If it was YOUR medicine or money or something equally important that had been re-routed because of carelessness, I rather doubt you'd be so cavalier about it. (And we're not talking about just one or two folks, either!)

Like I said, IMO it is careless to send medicine or money to a business without first calling to make sure that it is OK. If hiker's did that, then the blame lies squarely with them. This thread bears that out.

If folks planning a thru-hike for '09 or later learn nothing else from this thread, they will be well served. You can hike the trail with ANY of the three main guidebooks, or just the databook. But there is no substitute for common sense planning.

Lyle
04-27-2008, 14:39
Like I said, IMO it is careless to send medicine or money to a business without first calling to make sure that it is OK. If hiker's did that, then the blame lies squarely with them. This thread bears that out.

If folks planning a thru-hike for '09 or later learn nothing else from this thread, they will be well served. You can hike the trail with ANY of the three main guidebooks, or just the databook. But there is no substitute for common sense planning.

Have to agree with MOWGLI here. This book and the others are "GUIDE" books. They are meant to "GUIDE" a user, not offer absolutes. While it will definitely improve the book if these errors are corrected, as I'm sure they will be, they should not make or break anyone's safety or enjoyment to any major extent. Short term frustration should be the most serious consequence.

I would never put 100% confidence in any information given in a guidebook. Not even for such things as water sources. A hiker should always be prepared and equipped to "punt" when necessary. Things change too frequently to expect more than just guidelines.

Anyway, I haven't decided which I like better. I like the size and profiles of the AP, as well as the perforated pages. Problems with accuracy will improve as the publication matures I'm sure. I also like the fact that they offer a southbound version.

I find the descriptions easier to read and pick out specifics within the Companion, not sure why exactly, typeface, formatting, needing new glasses - not sure. Also, it seems to have more information, but that is a trade-off for size and layout I'm sure.

Unfortunately for the new owner, I still have a very bad taste in my mouth regarding the Handbook (due to previous owner), so haven't brought myself to buy one since it was the Philosopher's Guide. Maybe I'll eventually get over that. :)

Anyways, Always carry maps! :sun

10-K
04-27-2008, 14:41
Kirby reported that the folks at Neel Gap told him that if he got AP he wouldn't need maps....

Seems like the time spent developing the profile info should have been spent fact checking, based upon user reports.

I'm really confused about this one.... I like the elevation profiles for knowing elevation changes ahead on the trail.

But when I think of taking a map I'm thinking more about location - "Where am I in relation to the rest of the world?" - that kind of thing. That's different than "Am I going up or down?"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-27-2008, 14:56
The AT maps set has both the topo and profile.

While maps aren't necessary if every single thing goes as planned on the AT we live in the real world where accidents happen, people get turned around, the trail gets lost for a while, bears or mini-bears get your food, gear fails - sometimes we have to get off the AT onto another trail to get to the nearest road or town. How are you going to know which trail to take if you don't have a map?

Water sources on the AT all dried up? A map will tell you where that stream a half mile below is.

bulldog49
04-27-2008, 14:59

If the folks at Neels Gap said he did not need shoes and he should walk barefoot would he do it? I use common sense and think for myself, would not take advice form anyone, even if they are supposed experts, unless it makes sense for me to so.

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2008, 17:06
Actually, Mowgli, I gotta disagree with you.

If a guidebook that wants to be viewed as official and respected says that you can send mail to a place, well, the reader of that book quite naturally is gonna assume that the place accepts and welcomes hiker mail.

If one were to send a package there, and then discover that the place not only doesn't take hiker mail and never did, and that it sends hiker packages elsewhere, well, the quite expected response on the part of the hiker would be that the guidebook in question let them down.

This wasn't a question of information being misunderstood or mis-interpreted. This was a gross error, plain and simple. The place doesn't want and doesn't accept hiker mail, simple as that.

Blaming the resultant problems on the poor shmucks that believed the book doesn't seem quite right. For Mowgli to say that any blame or responsibility belongs to the hiker who trusted the book.....well that's ridiculous. If a book baldly says "Send us your mail", well that's what readers are gonna do. The onus is not so much on the hiker as it is on the guidebook writers and editors to make sure that they've made every effort to insure that what they've printed is actually true and accurate. In that the Hot Springs campground in question doesn't accept hiker mail and never has, well blaming resultant problems on the hikers seems more than a bit unfair to me.

SGT Rock
04-27-2008, 17:11

Well just my opinion here but it would be a bad idea for AP to "blame" the customer. They persosall haven't yet and that is a good thing. But here is why I say this: At Bluff Mountain Outfitters today Jack and I were looking for a copy to look something up. Now Bluff Mountain was carrying them a while back, but today the guy working there said they stopped keeping the book on the shelves to sell because of the bad feelings customers walking into Hot Springs had over their mail drops. Apparently it was enough of an issue in Hot Springs for the Outfitter to decide to take 'em off the shelves to avoid offending customers and avoid offending the campsite folks who got caught up in it.

Now you can say they personally should have checked before sending and I do not disagree at all. But the fact remains that the Bluff Mountain Outfitter, one of the best on the trail, now won't sell the AP because of that one error and the effect it has had. It normally only takes one good "aw-****" to screw up your rep. Now the AP people will have that to overcome in one of the early trail towns and with one of the very good AT outfitters.

The people sending mail drops learned a hard lesson about mail drops, but it could also mean AP has a lesson about editing a large scale trail guide. Personally I hope it all works out but it is something to be aware of.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-27-2008, 17:14
Got to agree with Rock & Jack on this. When I buy a trail guide, I expect the facts printed inside to have been checked within the past year or two.

SGT Rock
04-27-2008, 17:20
Well I hate to speculate, but as I recall the editor for Hot Springs also does the Companion for that town as well (I could be wrong and if I am I'm sorry ahead of time) - but the listing in the AP for the Campsite is quite long while the listing for the Outfitters is sort of short considering how much they offer. I suspect that with all those entries it is possible that some of the info ended up on the wrong line during final edit before going to print. I say that because the suttle, mail drop, fuel by the ounce, and maybe some other information looks a whole lot more like what the outfitter offers than what the little store by the campsite has.

10-K
04-27-2008, 17:29
Actually, Mowgli, I gotta disagree with you.

If a guidebook that wants to be viewed as official and respected says that you can send mail to a place, well, the reader of that book quite naturally is gonna assume that the place accepts and welcomes hiker mail.

I see your point, don't get me wrong - but I even called Kincora Hostel before I sent my mail drop just to make sure that it was indeed ok to send my package there and also to confirm the address. And if there's any place that everyone knows it's ok to send a mail drop it's Kincora. But, things can change, sometimes suddenly. It *always* pays to confirm important details.

I agree that the Hot Springs goof was large and that it'd be a mistake for the AP folks to blame the customer but ultimately that's who is responsible - no matter what the book says or doesn't say.

MOWGLI
04-27-2008, 17:32
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Personally, I would never have had the self inflicted "problem" that the hikers who sent their packages to the campground in Hot Springs did. Cause I wouldn't send anything valuable to someplace other than a post office based upon what any guidebook for any trail says. I know that businesses change hands, go under, and change their policies (see the thread on the Hiawassee Holiday Inn regarding that last point).

But maybe that's just me. I'll stick with my method of calling ahead before sending a mail drop until it lets me down. ;)

10-K
04-27-2008, 17:37
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Personally, I would never have had the self inflicted "problem" that the hikers who sent their packages to the campground in Hot Springs did. Cause I wouldn't send anything valuable to someplace other than a post office based upon what any guidebook for any trail says. I know that businesses change hands, go under, and change their policies (see the thread on the Hiawassee Holiday Inn regarding that last point).

But maybe that's just me. I'll stick with my method of calling ahead before sending a mail drop until it lets me down. ;)

Yep. Totally agree. Well, I'd rather not be limited to a post office but I wouldn't send anything off without doing some fact checking first.

Things change... wasn't there someone posting a little while ago about sending something to Ms. Janets this year? That person was using an old guide but it's the same principle.

SGT Rock
Always a good policy. Like I said - hard lesson learned for some folks.

Tin Man
I hope folks reading this also realize the importance of using the current year's guide and not using or buying a discounted or used guide from a previous year if they plan to use them for important things like mail drops. Same goes for maps, although maps don't change as often and trail relocations are less of an issue than in years past.

MOWGLI
04-27-2008, 17:43
Always a good policy. Like I said - hard lesson learned for some folks.

I don't want to contribute too much to thread swerve, cause I've already done enough. :sun But I'll add that the Hot Springs Post office is still in the same place that it was when I hiked through town in 2000.

If you want to use an alternative to a post office for a mail drop for your own convenience, you darn well better do your due diligence to make sure that it'll be there when you arrive. Otherwise you're SOL. And all the finger pointing in the world won't help you at that point.

Tin Man
04-27-2008, 17:46
Another informational item that may be missing from guidebooks - Bascom Lodge and the road to the top of Mt. Greylock in Mass. remains closed this year due to a project to rehabilitate the roadway and park. The park remains open for hikers, but the road and lodge are not scheduled to reopen until 2009.

SGT Rock
04-27-2008, 17:51
I don't want to contribute too much to thread swerve, cause I've already done enough. :sun But I'll add that the Hot Springs Post office is still in the same place that it was when I hiked through town in 2000.

If you want to use an alternative to a post office for a mail drop for your own convenience, you darn well better do your due diligence to make sure that it'll be there when you arrive. Otherwise you're SOL. And all the finger pointing in the world won't help you at that point.No, but the problem for AP is the finger pointing IN TOWN is costing them (the AP) buisness. I hope they can work it out.

SGT Rock
04-27-2008, 19:07
I just talked to ATtroll on it - he is looking into it and will get with Bluff Mountain and the campstore.

FWIW - the Appalachian Pages is still looking for local editors along the trail in places. If you are interested in doing it for them go on over to www.appalachianpages.com (http://www.appalachianpages.com) and let them know. It helps hikers, and they will give you a copy of the guide every year. I talked to Troll about putting up a help wanted list again to see what towns still need a local editor.

RITBlake
04-27-2008, 20:13

90% of the appalachian trail is hardly backcountry

SGT Rock
04-27-2008, 20:20
Well I sort of disagree, while most of it doesn't really count as wilderness, it does go through places that don't have a phone, stores, or taxi in easy reach. Today I was talking to a former Thu that said he would only take maps through someplace like the Whites where there could be real trouble and not through the tame places. But you never know when the tame places are going to need special attention such as this hike for me when we had flash flooding in VA, a bridge was out, and the water level in a place that was normally between ankle and knee was about chest high. Then, despite the fact the area was "tame", a map showed me how to get around safely. No map, no easy around like I found...

If you only decide where the trouble can be ahead of time and plan for that to be where you really only need maps, then you can get caught short when a truly different situation happens.

attroll
04-27-2008, 21:00
Appalachian Pages does not encourage people to substitute not carrying maps in place of using our profiles. Our profile images are intended to be used in conjunction with the data pages to give hikers an idea of what that 28 mile section of page has in store for them (lies ahead).

It seems that the Hot Springs error that Jack is referring to with the outfitters and the campground was an error on our part and not the field editor’s part. The Shuttle and Maildrop information that was listed under the campground was suppose to be posted under the outfitters. It seems that when the data was cut and pasted into the book we cut and pasted the Shuttle and Maildrop info under the wrong establishment. We deeply apologize for this error and it will be added to out correction page. We will be contacting Bluff Mountain Outfitters and the Campground on Monday and talking to them. We want to iron things out with them both and hopefully work on some type of agreement to keep maildrops from getting returned to senders, possibly getting the campground to forward the maildrops that they are receiving to Bluff Mountain Outfitter if we can get them both to agree. It is all about helping the hikers.

Jack could you and others please start sending me or Awol PM’s or emails telling us about all these mistakes and omissions so that we can correct them or add them to future additions of the book. The reason I say this is because no post from you has been posted or sent to us or our web site or passed on to us. We have been contacted by a few and we greatly appreciate those that are helping us out and letting us know. We did read this thread and write down everything that is posted here but it will be easier for us if you send your corrections or additions that you would like to see added directly to us or our web site. The book is only as good as the information that is received and out into it.

As SGT Rock also stated, we are looking help. If anyone would like to help us with field editing our book for next years addition we would greatly appreciate it. Please contact me or Awol2003.

Tin Man
04-27-2008, 21:09
Jack could you and others please start sending me or Awol PM’s or emails telling us about all these mistakes and omissions so that we can correct them or add them to future additions of the book. The reason I say this is because no post from you has been posted or sent to us or our web site or passed on to us. We have been contacted by a few and we greatly appreciate those that are helping us out and letting us know. We did read this thread and write down everything that is posted here but it will be easier for us if you send your corrections or additions that you would like to see added directly to us or our web site. The book is only as good as the information that is received and out into it.

As SGT Rock also stated, we are looking help. If anyone would like to help us with field editing our book for next years addition we would greatly appreciate it. Please contact me or Awol2003.

Troll, nice job on the AP website. Best wishes on this endeavor... http://www.appalachianpages.com/

aficion
04-27-2008, 21:37
Between the information provided on this sight, and all those little white blazes and signs along the trail, I don't believe I need or want a guidebook or a complete set of maps to hike the entire trail. A simple list of water points and resupply points gleaned here, as well as a few maps of the more rugged and remote sections of New England should suffice. Clearly many experienced and sensible people here do not agree, but that is how I see it. Of course I'm not looking to traipse into any town the trail doesn't go through unless i have to. Seems like a lot of you guys could get by without a backpack as well. Just hitch into town every night , eat dinner in a restaurant, shower,sleep and do laundry in a motel, eat breakfast at a restaurant, and carry your lunch and maps and guidebooks in the pockets of your zip off pants. Course you could just do that for six months and never set foot on the trail. Might be fun, but it wouldn't be backpacking.

Lyle
04-27-2008, 22:42
I just talked to ATtroll on it - he is looking into it and will get with Bluff Mountain and the campstore.

FWIW - the Appalachian Pages is still looking for local editors along the trail in places. If you are interested in doing it for them go on over to www.appalachianpages.com (http://www.appalachianpages.com) and let them know. It helps hikers, and they will give you a copy of the guide every year. I talked to Troll about putting up a help wanted list again to see what towns still need a local editor.

Perhaps they could get some correction stickers printed up to affix to the appropriate page on any books going out and to those not yet sold at the outfitters. This may appease the local hard feelings. I only suggest this since it seems to have been a particularly damaging mistake to AP's reputation, at least locally. May make the outfitters more receptive to placing it back on their shelves.

I've had medical field guides take this approach - worked for them.

Just a suggestion.

Lyle
04-27-2008, 22:44
Between the information provided on this sight, and all those little white blazes and signs along the trail, I don't believe I need or want a guidebook or a complete set of maps to hike the entire trail. A simple list of water points and resupply points gleaned here, as well as a few maps of the more rugged and remote sections of New England should suffice. Clearly many experienced and sensible people here do not agree, but that is how I see it. Of course I'm not looking to traipse into any town the trail doesn't go through unless i have to. Seems like a lot of you guys could get by without a backpack as well. Just hitch into town every night , eat dinner in a restaurant, shower,sleep and do laundry in a motel, eat breakfast at a restaurant, and carry your lunch and maps and guidebooks in the pockets of your zip off pants. Course you could just do that for six months and never set foot on the trail. Might be fun, but it wouldn't be backpacking.

Sounds like you want a Databook and a few select maps.
Happy Hiking!:)

Jack Tarlin
04-28-2008, 10:25
Um, Blake, at least 10% of the Trail is in Maine, and that's a pretty lousy place to get lost in.

Your math is off.

Not carrying a map is a personal decision.

But telling other people to do likewise is not, in my opinion, particularly sage advice.

Blissful
04-28-2008, 10:32
Yep. Totally agree. Well, I'd rather not be limited to a post office but I wouldn't send anything off without doing some fact checking first.

Agreed. We were going to use the Crawford Notch campground in NH for a drop (it was listed). But we called first to make sure it was okay and they accepted them. Always call if it isn't a regular PO and you plan to drop there. I like the guidebook just to give me planning ideas. After all - it's a guide. But it's up to me to fact check.

SGT Rock
04-28-2008, 14:30
I just got done talking to ATTroll who was on his way to work. He said Awol talked to Bluff Mountain Outfitter's. The reason they stopped carrying the book according to them is they ran out and the main season for selling guides is gone.

Awol talked to the camp store, all packages sent there were re-directed to the Hot Springs PO. So mail was still in town for the hikers, they just had to work off PO days and hours.

So, it looks like everything is OK there. There are some fixes and updates for the next AP, but no hikers got hurt in the production. As I understand it, someone from the outfitter will probably come here and post on it later.

Now, before anyone goes after Jack, I was there when he was told all this. He didn't make it up. The person that told him apparently didn't have his facts straight.

Awol2003
04-28-2008, 20:55
I spoke with the owner of Hot Springs Spa and Camp today (very nice lady). Any maildrops sent to them are held for pick-up at the Post Office. The campstore initially returned some packages but that is no longer happening.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by my mistake. I called this place during the composition of the book, and either by miscommunication or slip of the pen I checked off "maildrops" when that was not the owner’s intent.

Perhaps they could get some correction stickers printed up to affix to the appropriate page on any books going out and to those not yet sold at the outfitters ... May make the outfitters more receptive to placing it back on their shelves.

Appalachian Pages is shipped with an update page inserted. Updates are also posted on the website. I believe the other guidebooks make updates available in the same fashion.

Outfitters (plural) are not pulling the book from their shelves; on the contrary, more outfitters are adding Appalachian Pages (40 will ship tomorrow), and many outfitters have already put in restock orders. In fact, no outfitter has "pulled the book from their shelves. "

Bluff Mountain SOLD OUT of Appalachian Pages, and chose not to reorder this year, in part because the bulk of the 2008 thru-hiking crowd has passed. Their book buyer said (and I am quoting); “They will order the 2009 edition,” that the book was “well received” and that “hikers really like the format.” To fully disclose, he also brought up the maildrop error and the omission of the store’s address. We spoke of improvements that are in the works.

Appalachian Pages introduced profile maps, perforated pages, double shelter mileages, side-by-side mileage/town information, to-scale town maps, and three editions of the book in short order this year. I’m content to have contributed so much in only our first year. The task of refining already-acquired data in an already-used format is orders of magnitude easier, and we’ve got a whole year in which to do it! I love having the opportunity to be productive and creative. Expectations should be big for Appalachian Pages.

stranger
04-28-2008, 21:04
I am currently carrying Appalachian Pages and by the time I reached Franklin noticed two mistakes:
- First, the phone number to the Franklin Motel is wrong
- Second, the PO number to Fontana Dam is wrong

I like this guidebook and format but found myself checking information against the Data Book for the next few hundred miles, I have the thru-hikers handbook at home and might have it sent out.

Saying that...it's a new publication and like any new product the quirks need to be worked out. It's a good book but there are substantial errors in there, which is a problem.

Kirby
05-04-2008, 14:46
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but this is my first time reading it since I started it a little while back.

Glad to hear the Hot Springs thing is under control.

It was kind of odd that Neel's Gap said I did not need maps because of this book, I brushed it off because I always carry maps.

Kirby

minnesotasmith
05-04-2008, 15:04

I called every single place I sent/had a maildrop sent prior to my thruhike to make sure it was okay, that the address was right, and that they didn't charge for maildrops.