PDA

View Full Version : Best 1 week May hike in Virginia?

Aardvark
04-26-2008, 11:05
My college-aged daughter and I are experienced backpackers, but new to Virginia. We're looking for a great section of the AT for a week-long trek this May. Prefer secluded/wilderness experience. Thanks!

MOWGLI
04-26-2008, 11:24
My college-aged daughter and I are experienced backpackers, but new to Virginia. We're looking for a great section of the AT for a week-long trek this May. Prefer secluded/wilderness experience. Thanks!

There is no "secluded" section of the AT in Virginia in May, but if you want Wilderness, the section from Glasgow to Rockfish Gap (~76 miles) includes the Priest Wilderness, and Three Ridges Wilderness. Some of the time, you are close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it's a nice stretch.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.

notorius tic
04-26-2008, 11:31
Try the Creeper trail, you can exit onto the AT at several points, You can get from point A to Point B, Just get a topo map dont go bye the guide book.. Several good trails that run through there ..Just enjoy the time you have outside with your daughter<:

Kerosene
04-26-2008, 12:16
Finding a secluded/wilderness experience in Virginia could be a little tough, but there is a lot of beauty to be found. I just completed the entire state in one-week sections, so here are 3 different types of options:

1) Shenendoah National Park (Waynesboro to Front Royal - 107 miles): A lot of hikers like this section, but it does parallel Skyline Drive much of the time. Not my first choice.

2) Waynesboro to Buchanan (108 miles): Traverses at least 3 wilderness areas, but you'll run into a fair number of people. Easy terrain for the first 25 miles, then some tough ascents of Three Ridges and The Priest. Buchanan is about 5 miles off the trail at Bearwallow Gap.

3) Buena Vista/US-60 to Catawba (98 miles): A very scenic section in Virginia for the mileage and effort, despite its proximity to Roanoke, passing Punchbowl Shelter (of National Geographic fame), James River Gorge, Tinker Cliffs, and McAfee Knob. Add a loop at the southern end to pick up Dragon's Tooth.

4) Bland to Damascus (120 miles): Passes through the lovely Grayson Highlands, with 12+ miles above treeline (about 5,000') with expansive views. I think that mid-May might be too early for the rhododendron and other foliage.

If it was me, I'd probably go with option #3.

Locutus
04-28-2008, 11:57
Is Skyline Drive a busy road?

Evil Eye
04-28-2008, 15:48
I think Pearisburg to Troutville would be a great week. You'd see Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob, Dragon Tooth & a very good variety of trail type. Some great shelters & I think the restaurant in Catawba - the name escapes me right now.

Jack Tarlin
04-28-2008, 15:51
Personally, I'd hike Southbound from the Mt. Rogers Headquarters back to Damascus, but in May, this will NOT be quiet and secluded.

I second that Pearisburg to Troutville is a great stretch.

Pedaling Fool
04-28-2008, 17:19
Is Skyline Drive a busy road?
Depends on the time of year; now would be very low traffic. Also no commercial vehicles are permitted, which is nice, but many on the roads do not like to obey the speed limit, resulting in near misses on tight corners and people speeding up on your rear-end - can be a little scary on a bicycle.

Kerosene
04-28-2008, 21:12
...the restaurant in Catawba - the name escapes me right now.The Home Place (http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/)

Locutus
04-29-2008, 09:55
Depends on the time of year; now would be very low traffic. Also no commercial vehicles are permitted, which is nice, but many on the roads do not like to obey the speed limit, resulting in near misses on tight corners and people speeding up on your rear-end - can be a little scary on a bicycle.

I am doing SNP in a few weeks, now I that I am looking more closely at my maps, it looks like the road isnt more than a few hundred yards away from the trail in many places. Is it going to be like I am hiking along a major road the entire time? I hike to get away from road noise, not become one with it. :)

Johnny Swank
04-29-2008, 10:02
It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. There are a ton of road crossings as well. The upshot is having tons of places to eat at the waysides.

I third that Perisberg to Troutdale stretch. One of the coolest runs in Virginia overall, with the exception of Grayson Highlands.

Pedaling Fool
04-29-2008, 10:07
I am doing SNP in a few weeks, now I that I am looking more closely at my maps, it looks like the road isnt more than a few hundred yards away from the trail in many places. Is it going to be like I am hiking along a major road the entire time? I hike to get away from road noise, not become one with it. :)
You will be relatively close to the road during a thru-hike of SNP and will cross several times. However, it's not a major road because no commercial vehicles are permitted and the road design does not allow fast driving and one must pay to drive on and it's not the tourist season, so most of the time you won't even notice how close you are to the road.

P.S. Gas prices should keep even more cars away from the area.

Pedaling Fool
04-29-2008, 10:10
... The upshot is having tons of places to eat at the waysides....
I believe the waysides open at the end of May, can anyone confirm?

Skyline
04-29-2008, 10:24
All the commercial facilities in SNP are already open EXCEPT Loft Mt. and Mathews Arm CG. They both open May 16.

As far as being bothered by Skyline Drive: The maps show it to be worse than it really is. There are a few places (very few) where you can literally see the Drive from the AT, and where the AT crosses the road, but within five minutes you have hiked on past those. The AT also skirts a few developed areas (lodges, restaurants, picnic areas mainly) but you'll be past them in a hurry—unless you want to grab a meal, blackberry milkshake, or a beer in which case you'll appreciate their proximity.

If you are not set on hiking only on the AT, there are a lot of side trail loops you can take that begin on the AT and loop around to rejoin the AT further up (or down) the Trail. If you camp at places along these loops, you can get more of a feel of wilderness away from Skyline Drive and other "civilization"—and reap the benefits of camping near streams, waterfalls, and visiting historical sites. IMHO the AT, combined with such side trips, are the best of both worlds.

If you need some logistical help, visit www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com) and contact for loop hike ideas, transportation, and more. Check out the link on the site for Potomac Appalachian Trail Club for the best maps and guidebooks.

Locutus
04-29-2008, 13:01
Thanks for the info, I will be using mvshuttle so I am sure they can help us out with that information.

f8lranger4x4
05-03-2008, 09:55
I think Pearisburg to Troutville would be a great week. You'd see Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob, Dragon Tooth & a very good variety of trail type. Some great shelters & I think the restaurant in Catawba - the name escapes me right now.

I'm going to do this one. It is close to home and has some great views I've heard.