PDA

View Full Version : Thruhiker Special in Maine

Red Hat
04-26-2008, 11:39
Thought I'd give a heads up about a thruhiker special I just discovered. The Appalachian Trail Lodge will pick you up in Medway, take you to Millinocket, furnish a bunk in the lodge, pay for a meal at the diner, and drive you to Baxter Park the next day, all for only $70! Ole Man and Navigator have lots of experience as they help out Profile and Almanac with the NOBOS at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega each spring. Now they own their own hostel/lodge in Millinocket. I got my reservations!

Heater
04-26-2008, 14:12
Thought I'd give a heads up about a thruhiker special I just discovered. The Appalachian Trail Lodge will pick you up in Medway, take you to Millinocket, furnish a bunk in the lodge, pay for a meal at the diner, and drive you to Katahdin the next day, all for only $70! Ole Man and Navigator have lots of experience as they help out Profile and Almanac with the NOBOS at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega each spring. Now they own their own hostel/lodge in Millinocket. I got my reservations!

Do they have anything like this for NOBO's at the end of their hike?

Heater
04-26-2008, 14:16
Nevermind. I checked it out.

They do but it looks like no shuttle from Baxter to Millnocket.

• Hostel accommodations
• ATHiker breakfast special at the Appalachian Trail Café
• Shuttle to bus station

• Cost $40.00

Old Hillwalker
04-26-2008, 14:21
Just made my reservations for the SOBO Special.
Thanks for the reminder RedHat.

Johnny Swank
04-26-2008, 14:34
Damn - that's a hell of a deal. I wish something like this was around with I did my SOBO. Getting everything together to just get to Baxter was a real pain.

WalkingStick75
04-26-2008, 19:17
AT Lodge was picking up daily last year, for free. Not sure if it is from the park entrance or the parking lot at Katahdin. But catching a ride into town was not a problem for me last year and they took me right to the AT Lodge.

TJ aka Teej
04-29-2008, 14:49
AT Lodge was picking up daily last year, for free. Not sure if it is from the park entrance or the parking lot at Katahdin. But catching a ride into town was not a problem for me last year and they took me right to the AT Lodge.

They were rolling into KSC about 4 every afternoon last season. Wicked nice folks!

Jack Tarlin
04-29-2008, 14:51
And it's nice to see you back, Teej!

TJ aka Teej
04-29-2008, 15:00
And it's nice to see you back, Teej!

Thanks, Jack! Nice to be back!

orangebug
04-29-2008, 16:53
Didn't realize this was such a good deal, but Almost There and I found it (reserved) for our SOBO sections in June. However, the threads about Baxter and the snow pack have me wondering if we should somehow get to Monson to go south and wait for the Hundred Mile and Mt K for another year or two.

weary
04-29-2008, 17:44
Didn't realize this was such a good deal, but Almost There and I found it (reserved) for our SOBO sections in June. However, the threads about Baxter and the snow pack have me wondering if we should somehow get to Monson to go south and wait for the Hundred Mile and Mt K for another year or two.
I would keep checking conditions. Bigelow and the High Peaks to the south will have equal snow problems. We're having six inches of rain on the coast as we write.

I don't know what is happening a few miles north. But if it drops snow on the peaks, conditions could worsen. If it's all rain, a lot of river towns will face major floods, but it could clear a lot of worries for June 1 dreamers.

Weary

mindi
01-22-2009, 22:28
Does the lodge have a website?

I'm concerned about how to get from the Bangor airport to Medway..

KG4FAM
01-22-2009, 22:39

I'm concerned about how to get from the Bangor airport to Medway..
http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/

When you get off the plane and exit the terminal you walk about a mile to the main road where the CYR bus picks you up and takes you to Medway.

mudhead
01-23-2009, 07:16
You could grab a cab at the tiny terminal.

Or walk the mile straight out the airport exit street. Turn right. Cyr is next to Wendy's. Dunkin Donuts! close.

mindi
01-23-2009, 20:19
Thanks!

fehchet
01-23-2009, 20:45
It's not a tiny terminal. Have you been upstairs?
Bangor International is also where most of the returning soldiers from Desert Storm first landed back in the USA. It is still a sought after destination for all returning soldiers. People from the Bangor area know when military flights are landing and they show up in droves with song and food and hand shakes and much more.
Once it was called Dow Air Force Base -- a SAC Unit -- and it has some of the longest runways in the world.
If you create a fuss on an Atlantic Ocean international flight, you will see Bangor because they are waiting for you with cuffs.
And yes, CYR bus terminal is about a straight mile walk on a wide road. Ask anyone.

wcgornto
01-24-2009, 07:14
OK. I found details for the CYR busline online.

http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm

It seems there is a single northbound schedule beginning at 5:30 PM from Old Town. There seem to be two Bangor stations on the schedule (Greyhound and Concord Trailways stations). Which one is the one you can walk to from the airport? this should work out nicely for me as I have a 2:01 PM flight arrival in Bangor.

Is the linked information correct or is there some different CYR bus schedule that I should be aware of?

mudhead
01-24-2009, 07:21
It's not a tiny terminal. Have you been upstairs?

While it is larger than it was back in the 60's, as airports go it is a runt.

Having walked a number of airports in the country, I figure if you can see from one end of the terminal to the other end, it is tiny. Tough place to kill time. It does have a long runway, but so does the BH airport in Trenton, ME, as it was built as a seaplane base.

My intent was to assure the op that one cannot get lost walking out the door looking for the bus.

wcgornto
01-24-2009, 07:27

http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/

KG4FAM
01-24-2009, 07:31
OK. I found details for the CYR busline online.

http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.htm

It seems there is a single northbound schedule beginning at 5:30 PM from Old Town. There seem to be two Bangor stations on the schedule (Greyhound and Concord Trailways stations). Which one is the one you can walk to from the airport? this should work out nicely for me as I have a 2:01 PM flight arrival in Bangor.

Is the linked information correct or is there some different CYR bus schedule that I should be aware of?That is the correct schedule. The station next to the airport is Concord Trailways.

Wrangler88
01-25-2009, 20:08
I reserved my spot at the Appalachian Trail Lodge about a week ago. Signed up for a stay overnight on June 29th. Will I see any of you up there?

wcgornto
03-17-2009, 18:32
What is the approximate price for the CYR Bus Line trip from Bangor Airport to Medway?

Is it necessary (or possible) to purchase a ticket in advance, or will I be OK purchasing a ticket at the bus station when my flight arrives in Bangor?

jnetx
03-17-2009, 23:35
What is the approximate price for the CYR Bus Line trip from Bangor Airport to Medway?

Is it necessary (or possible) to purchase a ticket in advance, or will I be OK purchasing a ticket at the bus station when my flight arrives in Bangor?

Cant remember the exact price last year, think it was between $10 and $15. We just bought tickets at the bus station when we got there, it's an enclosed room, you can sit there for hours while you wait, they had free coffee, restrooms, etc. The drop off for Millinocket however is a gas station near the interstate and quite a distance from Millinocket. If you are staying at the AT Lodge they will pick you up, but otherwise you should make some kind of plan to get to Millinocket.

wcgornto
03-18-2009, 14:55
Thanks for the info. And yes, I do have shuttle arrangements with AT Lodge.

think0075
03-18-2009, 18:02
i stayed there last year before my thru hike im pretty sure i was one of the first ther i think i stayed the 30th of may. but the owners were especially nice and gave lots of good advice. as far as bus tickets go i think i just went on greyhound and booked and ticket to medway and it included the cyr ticket if not i know you can buy them at the bus station in bangor or normally at the airport if your flying in.