PDA

View Full Version : First Time Camper - Carolina Beach

theinfamousj
04-27-2008, 14:14
This upcoming weekend (May 2), I'm taking my best friend on her first camping trip. She's going to camp grudgingly, due to finances, but is really going along for the beach. I've assured her that it really isn't that bad and she's somewhat excited about the whole thing. However, if she doesn't like it, at least she tried and I'll stop pressuring her :)

To ease her transition into the great outdoors, as she'd bolt if forced to fully immerse, I've found a state campground with hot and cold running water, showers, and flush toilets. (Carolina Beach State Park, if you are familiar.)

Were any of you skeptical on your first trip out of doors? How can I help make the camping trip more comfortable/memorable (in a good way)? What bit of "cush" am I not thinking about because I'm experienced?

dessertrat
04-27-2008, 14:21
If you're really going to "rough it", you just have to get used to the idea of defecating in the woods and not taking a shower for days on end. Once you've committed to that mindset, you're fine. If you haven't, you've got trouble.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-27-2008, 14:23
Good food, bring chairs and make a campfire. When car camping we always go first class!!! Keeps us women folk and the children happy. What does she like? If she reads, recommend she bring a book. If she likes music, an mp3. All these little comforts make it all the more fun.

10-K
04-27-2008, 14:48
This upcoming weekend (May 2), I'm taking my best friend on her first camping trip. She's going to camp grudgingly, due to finances, but is really going along for the beach. I've assured her that it really isn't that bad and she's somewhat excited about the whole thing. However, if she doesn't like it, at least she tried and I'll stop pressuring her :)

To ease her transition into the great outdoors, as she'd bolt if forced to fully immerse, I've found a state campground with hot and cold running water, showers, and flush toilets. (Carolina Beach State Park, if you are familiar.)

Were any of you skeptical on your first trip out of doors? How can I help make the camping trip more comfortable/memorable (in a good way)? What bit of "cush" am I not thinking about because I'm experienced?

Hey - My wife loves Carolina Beach State Park - we live about 4 miles from there. She camps by herself or with out daughter there pretty regularly and likes it because it's so close to home.

The park has tent sites located adjacent to each other so there will be little (no) privacy to speak of. They have fire rings and you can purchase bundles of hardwood to burn at the camp store down by the boat ramp. The showers and restrooms are clean and well attended. Also heated in the winter which is nice. Keep in mind the campsites are first come-first served with no reservation policy. It not unusual for it to fill up during the warmer months and on holidays so plan accordingly.

The store has all kinds of convenience foods but you can pop out of the park and be at fast food resturants and a big grocery store within 5 minutes of leaving the park

If you hook all the trails together you could probably squeeze a full afternoon of walking around in. Of course being at the beach all the trails are level - no hills.

I think it'll a pretty good intro to camping for her and the beach is literally right there so if she likes the ocean that's a big plus.

Have fun!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-27-2008, 15:08
Beach camping is whole different animal from the sort of camping we usually discuss. My suggestions:
Make sure you have plenty of bug repellent - the beach skeeters are huge and hungry.
Take along a whisk broom as sand will get into the tent and everything else.
Shake out the sleeping bags every day - again, sand.
Make sure you have a comfy place to get out of the rain - it rains nearly every afternoon at the beach.
Most state campgrounds near the beach have raccoons - they are intelligent creatures who love to get into your food - keep all food in a cooler with a bungee strap around it or in your vehicle.

As for comfort measures - a good air mattress goes a long way toward making a first-time camper more comfortable. Taking along a mirror is also a good idea for ladies that care about their hair and such at the beach.

MamaCat
04-27-2008, 15:57
screen rooms are great for car camping. Most state parks in Ga have a picnic table on each campsite and the screen room we have covers the picnic table area + room for 2 chairs. I second dino for the idea of a comfy air mattress. Also a battery operated fan to move air around in the tent is a good idea.

joec
04-27-2008, 16:50
The thing that may drive you "buggie" is the "no seeums". If they are out, you could have a miserable time. Plenty of bug repellent!!!

mudhead
04-27-2008, 17:10
Hair dryer.

Her own TP, in a ziplock to take to the potty with her.

Her own flashlight.

Citronella candle. (It's pretty.)

10-K
04-27-2008, 17:31
Oh, and the most important thing about CBSP - the ticks are *everywhere*.

I don't think we've ever been down there that we didn't find a tick or two afterwards.

Pokey2006
04-27-2008, 18:21
Plan something fun to do nearby in case of rain/bad weather. A movie theater, museum, etc.

Make her s'mores.

I second the chair and campfire...those are musts.

Music. Cocktails (if allowed).

I know for myself, and probably for a lot of other folks on here, a love of camping started as a child. I can't for the life of me remember my first camping trip. Maybe because it was before I was even born. I was always told I was conceived in a tent (ew!).

Good luck! I hope she enjoys her trip.

rainmaker
04-27-2008, 21:31
I kept a sailboat there for three years and have camped at the park a number of times. Under no circumstances would I camp at Carolina Beach SP from April to November.The mosquitos are everywhere, the noseeums can be bad early morning and late evening and like the man said, they have a tick problem. Also, NC apparently has a rule that once the front gate is locked you can't get in or out. In other words, no combination locks. That is unfortunate since there are a couple of very good restuarants near the beach.

On the positive side they do have an interesting set of trails. Bottom line is if you want your friend to have a positive first time experience, go to the mountains, the bugs aren't as bad.

10-K
04-28-2008, 06:50
I kept a sailboat there for three years and have camped at the park a number of times. Under no circumstances would I camp at Carolina Beach SP from April to November.The mosquitos are everywhere, the noseeums can be bad early morning and late evening and like the man said, they have a tick problem. Also, NC apparently has a rule that once the front gate is locked you can't get in or out. In other words, no combination locks. That is unfortunate since there are a couple of very good restuarants near the beach.

On the positive side they do have an interesting set of trails. Bottom line is if you want your friend to have a positive first time experience, go to the mountains, the bugs aren't as bad.

That's true - you're locked in from 8:00 PM until 8:00 AM. They pull a gate across the road and padlock it shut.