PDA

View Full Version : Florida Trail Thru-hike Questions

Smooth03
02-03-2004, 19:05
I completed an AT SOBO thru-hike this past November and before I move off and get a job it looks like I'm going to have a few free months. I know this isn't the appropriate area for this quesiont but I'll ask anyway.

To someone who has just walked up and over nothing but mountains for 2,100 miles I think it would be easy for a 17miles-a-day on the AT person like myself, to do 25 miles a day on the flat terrain of Florida.Is this assumption wildly off for some unknown reason? I've heard that the trail is often boggy and covered enough to slow a hiker considerably. Is this common or more of an aberation?

Also. Reptiles. Are alligators a concern for the trail?
What is the traditional route N-S or S-N.

Again I understand this is not the correct forum so if anyone has a suggestion on where I go to get these answered that would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to find a forum on the FT website.
Smooth
MEGA 03

Rain Man
02-03-2004, 19:14
Smooth,

Here, I'll give you justification for posting your query on WhiteBlaze, with a query of my own...

Were you the SOBO that my friend John and I ate lunch with in the Muskrat Creek Shelter just north of the NC-TN state line in November? We spent about an hour and you kept seeing wild boar hunters walk by on the trail with their dogs, if I recall. And we pondered over the clean underwear left in a cracked mug in the shelter. LOL

Rain Man

Smooth03
02-03-2004, 19:22
Sure is a small world. Yup thats me. Finished Nov. 17th. Your friend make it to the car allright? He didn't seem to pleased about doing another 8 miles. Had some more interesting run ins with hunters but nothing serious. I did find a forum on the Floridat Trail Site.

You been out on the trail at all?

Smooth,

Here, I'll give you justification for posting your query on WhiteBlaze, with a query of my own...

Were you the SOBO that my friend John and I ate lunch with in the Muskrat Creek Shelter just north of the NC-TN state line in November? We spent about an hour and you kept seeing wild boar hunters walk by on the trail with their dogs, if I recall. And we pondered over the clean underwear left in a cracked mug in the shelter. LOL

Rain Man

gravityman
02-03-2004, 19:32
There are probably people more knowledgable than me, but since no one has replied to your question yet.

S to N is normal. The sections I have done (mostly Ocala national forest up to Osceola (sp) national forest) are easy walking, and 25 miles a day would be pretty simple. As for boggy, depends on the time of year and how much rain they have gotten. I haven't been keeping track this spring, but I think it has been relatively wet. On very wet springs you will be slogging for many many miles.

I will caution you the florida trail aint all that exciting. It will be mostly walking, and often on roads. There are no other people, no shelters to stop at, and no other people to talk to. Read some journals of people that have done it. I got sick of it pretty quickly. The only good thing about it is that you can go at least 3 mph. That's fast for me :)

You might want to reconsider. I think there are better options out there, but I'm not sure what at this time of year. Mountains to Sea trail done in the other direction maybe?

Gravity Man

I completed an AT SOBO thru-hike this past November and before I move off and get a job it looks like I'm going to have a few free months. I know this isn't the appropriate area for this quesiont but I'll ask anyway.

To someone who has just walked up and over nothing but mountains for 2,100 miles I think it would be easy for a 17miles-a-day on the AT person like myself, to do 25 miles a day on the flat terrain of Florida.Is this assumption wildly off for some unknown reason? I've heard that the trail is often boggy and covered enough to slow a hiker considerably. Is this common or more of an aberation?

Also. Reptiles. Are alligators a concern for the trail?
What is the traditional route N-S or S-N.

Again I understand this is not the correct forum so if anyone has a suggestion on where I go to get these answered that would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to find a forum on the FT website.
Smooth
MEGA 03

Sand Crab
02-04-2004, 01:00
I have not been able to find a forum on the FT website.
Smooth
MEGA 03

Smooth, There are forums for the Florida Trail. I was on it just a couple of days ago. Go to:
http://www.florida-trail.org/
The link to forums is on the bottom left of the screen. I just tried it a minute ago and received a time-out, so the site may be down temporarily. Also click on the trailhead icon for additional information on trail sections.
Alligators are not a problem unless one bites you! :rolleyes:

Hammock Hanger
02-04-2004, 09:41
I have not thru-hiked the Florida Trail. However, I do live in FL and have hike various places on it for years.

25 miles a day is plenty doable to a seasoned hiker. I wouldn't really worry too much about alligators and the trail. You won't see that many, kind of like bear sightings. The majority would be when you get south of Lake Okeechobee and into the Everglades. There most aggressive period is when mating season is around. I have hiked in many swamps, swam in gator infested waters. Read up on them a little and give them the same respect you would a bear or a rattle snack and you will be fine. Oh, there are rattlesnakes, water maccasins and coral snakes out there... Again 20 something years and no bites.

I just did a week long hike from the Atlantic Ocean in Hobe Sound, FL across country to Lake Okeechobee. (There was a big 10-12 foot gator swimming in the LO.)

I would post a few pics but this is an AT forum. If you would like to see them email me and I'll send a few your way. SUE/HAMMOCK HANGER