PDA

View Full Version : campsites between NOC and Stecoah Gap?

Bear Cables
04-27-2008, 20:12
We are starting at the NOC and hiking to Fontana Dam for the first leg of our hike.
We want to cover about 9 miles each day (3 days). Sassafrass Shelter is too close to stop at and Brown Fork Gap shelter is too far. Are there any good campsites between Sassafrass and say Locus grove?

CrumbSnatcher
04-27-2008, 20:51
We are starting at the NOC and hiking to Fontana Dam for the first leg of our hike.
We want to cover about 9 miles each day (3 days). Sassafrass Shelter is too close to stop at and Brown Fork Gap shelter is too far. Are there any good campsites between Sassafrass and say Locus grove?
what about locust cove gap,not sure about the water source there this year. stayed there once in 02' just off to the right was a few flat spots. water was good. the climb out of the noc is alot easier since they put the switch backs in a few years back. have a great hike...

shoe
04-27-2008, 21:43
Stay on top of Cheoah Bald, beautiful views and I hear great sunrises and sunsets

CrumbSnatcher
04-27-2008, 23:26
Stay on top of Cheoah Bald, beautiful views and I hear great sunrises and sunsets i thought they frowned on camping there,a little overused?i could be wrong.water? good weather campsite for sure,views are spectacular! from cheoah bald to locost cove gap not much for camping...

Bear Cables
04-28-2008, 00:41
So locust cove may be the better choice?

greentick
04-28-2008, 00:56
Water up at Sassafras, eat dinner/watch sunset on Cheoah, camp at Locus Grove.

Or just stay on Cheoah.

Pokey2006
04-28-2008, 01:04
If you stay at Locust Grove, watch out for those mice! They were worse there than any other campsite I've ever been in. Just make sure the tent is zipped up nice and tight!

Flush2wice
04-28-2008, 08:29
Camp up on Cheoh and carry water up from Sassafras. Cheoh has one of the best sunsets on the trail.

shoe
04-28-2008, 09:13
I don't know if it's frowned upon or not but there was about 15 people up on the top a couple of weeks ago when I was there.