PDA

View Full Version : container for tent poles?

dmax
04-27-2008, 22:38
I was thinking about putting my tent in a different sized, stuff sack, that would fit inside my pack better. I was wondering about a seperate container to put my poles in. something that would protect my poles from damage. I was thinking maybe some type of fishing one might work if i could find a light weight one. Does anybody have any ideas?

hnryclay
04-27-2008, 23:31
I don't use a container for my poles, and stuff my tent in my pack, loose. No damage so far and everything fits better that way.

fiddlehead
04-27-2008, 23:46
Keep it simple. No bag for poles IMO.

88BlueGT
04-27-2008, 23:57
I also agree and say no bag BUT depending on how big your poles are when colapsed you might be able to use the protecting case that paintball gun barrels come in. You would have to pay though since most likely you would have to call a company that makes barrels and buy one. They are usually a bendable plastic with two rubber caps that go on each side. Prob won't work but something to look into if you want.

Wags
04-28-2008, 00:41
i kind of did something similar. i ditched the bag my tent/poles/pegs came in. use 2 seperate bags. 1 for the tent itself, the 1 for teh fly and footprint (that way the wet stuff doesn't make the dry stuff become wet stuff). it also fits better into my bag that way, or, if i want to just fastpack and skip the tent i can leave that bag at home :D my poles/pegs also get put into a small bag, but stored in an outside pouch on my pack.

mkmangold
04-28-2008, 02:18
One of us carries the tent (footprint included). One of us carries the poles wrapped in the fly. More fair; no damage so far.

Peaks
04-28-2008, 10:37
Most tents come with a separate bag for poles. And many people carry there poles in this bag on the exterior of their pack, on one side, with the butt end in the water bottle pocket, and lashed to the side of the pack

Blissful
04-28-2008, 10:47
We used an old pole stuff sack for the hubba hubba ones and I carried them on the outside of my pack. Worked fine but the bag is now pretty well shot. For the tarptent at the beginning of the hike, I just stuffed the one pole on the outside.

Don H
04-28-2008, 10:55
No bag for the poles. I just roll them up in my tyvec ground cloth and use a couple of rubber bands cut from a bike tube to keep it together.

dmax
04-28-2008, 20:51
thanks for the ideas. i think i'll try wrapping my poles with the fly and the ground cloth and place them outside of the pack.

Montego
04-28-2008, 21:27
I once saw a hiker that put his tent poles in a cut off section of plastic tube normally used as a club liner for a golf bag. He had duct taped the bottom opening and just lashed it to the side of his pack. Don't know if they still make those tubes, but it's a lightweight thought.

take-a-knee
04-29-2008, 00:03
Get a tarptent and you can carry your tentpoles in your hands.

IceAge
05-01-2008, 18:47
I once saw a hiker that put his tent poles in a cut off section of plastic tube normally used as a club liner for a golf bag. He had duct taped the bottom opening and just lashed it to the side of his pack. Don't know if they still make those tubes, but it's a lightweight thought.

Even lighter option is to go to your local hardware store and get one of the plastic tubes used to protect fluorescent light bulbs. Many cheap fly fishermen (of which there are 4 and I am one) use these as rod protectors.

sofaking
05-01-2008, 19:12
Even lighter option is to go to your local hardware store and get one of the plastic tubes used to protect fluorescent light bulbs. Many cheap fly fishermen (of which there are 4 and I am one) use these as rod protectors.
i guess i must be one of the other three;), i had a buddy that worked at an orvis catalog returns store...50% off and then his crazy employee discount...it was a pretty sweet deal while it lasted. anyway, about poles, just put them in your water bottle holster and strap them with the compression straps, if your pack is set up like that...:-?