PDA

View Full Version : Java Juice

max patch
04-28-2008, 07:59
Anyone ever use?

On sale at Outdoor Daily; 40 cups for 40 bucks.

MOWGLI
04-28-2008, 08:01
Anyone ever use?

I have. It's not bad, but I generally do without caffeine in the woods.

Mrs Baggins
04-28-2008, 08:12
Yep, used it and loved it. Best real coffee taste. I've used instant, the coffee "tea" bags and the Senseo pods (need to boil them too long). I'll be going back to Java Juice. I can get two good cups (my little titanium cup) out of one packet. I don't need it to be jet fuel strength.

Lone Wolf
04-28-2008, 08:13
Anyone ever use?

they gave it out at trail days. it sucks.

mrc237
04-28-2008, 09:02
I didn't like it either! Too salty:D.

Mrs Baggins
04-28-2008, 09:43
they gave it out at trail days. it sucks.t

Not all of us want Starbucks strength/quality coffee every morning. I think that's what too many people are trying for. Then carry it and make it. For me the Java Juice regular coffee (not the flavors - blech!) was no different from the Folgers or MJB or Maxwell House coffee from our drip coffee maker when it's set on "strong."

Jack Tarlin
04-28-2008, 10:21
I use it often and think it's great.

Rain Man
04-28-2008, 10:55
I've used it a couple of times. Didn't really care for it either time. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Rain:sunMan

deeddawg
04-28-2008, 13:04
When on the trail I just do instant coffee. Isn't the best, but it gets the job done.

I've tried a couple methods to brew from grounds, but cleanup and packing out the grounds was more hassle than it was worth. As for the Folgers singles, when I realized they were about half instant anyway I figured I'd just go in for the full Monty.

I've seen the Java Juice packets but they seemed pretty expensive. Are they really that much better? I'll just have to pick up a couple to try sometime.

DAKS
04-28-2008, 13:31
i like the stuff! haven't purchased it in quite a while as it is just easier to run by the grocery store and buy the coffee pods. i give 'em two thumbs up!

Dholmblad
04-28-2008, 17:28
I remember having it at traildays, wasn't horrible but I think ill stick to the real stuff with my jetboil coffee press.

mystic
04-28-2008, 18:03
I bought a big box of these just for hiking. They are convenient and OK. I also have used the tea bag (folgers I think). The JJ gives a bigger caffeine kick but has a funky (almost bitter) after taste. From a convenience standpoint they are about the same. The JJ foil wrapper is a bit messy but so is a wet coffee teabag. If memory serves the tea bags are cheaper. I'm a big coffee nut (just short of bringing a press and grinder with me). If you can afford the JJ go that way.

I drink a pot a morning at home and only have a time for a cup on the trail so I supplement with a caffeine tab (sad, but true).

10-K
04-28-2008, 18:51
Do the packets ever bust open and leak?

deeddawg
04-28-2008, 20:15
I drink a pot a morning at home and only have a time for a cup on the trail so I supplement with a caffeine tab (sad, but true).

Heh. You need to check out Morning Spark (http://www.sturmfoods.com/minisite/morningSpark/index.html) drink mixes. I've usually seen them at Wal-Mart. I like the grapefruit. Cranberry tastes good but way too much red dye.

J5man
04-28-2008, 20:36
Not worth the money considering the taste. If it were 20 cents, maybe. Make your own conconction with instant coffee, sugar, and creamer, all mixed together and it will be as good and much cheaper.

mystic
04-29-2008, 06:32
Do the packets ever bust open and leak?

The plastic coated foil packet is filled such that it would be really hard to bust one of these. There is no air in the packet and they fill it about 1/3 of the packets available volume. You can step on 2/3 of the packet and it wouldn't pop.

Note: These don't need to steep so that one nice thing over a tea bag.

GlazeDog
05-18-2008, 10:46
That stuff was so nasty in my opinion that I'd chose the coffee headache all day long rather than go beyond the first sip. Blaughh!!! Although light as hell, I'd choose one of the MANY other options for coffee that produce a tolerable, if not great, cup o' joe.

ytsuejam
05-18-2008, 11:00
coffee is supposed to be bitter in taste. Anyways, I like Java Juice but before finding it I would bring an instant Expresso (that we found in Publix) in a little container.Certainly beats the taste of the tea bag style stuff.
Patrick

Miss Janet
05-19-2008, 20:57
These things seem to carry a whallop when you are not used to the caffiene! I recently had a hiker friend get off the trail partially due to heart palpatations that may have been caused by JJ.

max patch
05-19-2008, 21:01
Thanks to all who responded.

When I was at REI I saw that they sold them individually. My wife and I tried them and reached the same conclusion:

1. Java Jucie is not good enough to be a daily coffee (off trail) as some of their ads suggest.

2. Java Juice is superior to the instant and coffee "tea bags" that we've used on trail.

I'll buy a box next time I see them on sale.

KnowledgeEngine
05-20-2008, 18:41
I make my own Java Juice.

1 lb ground coffee to 9 cups cold water.

MSNBC story (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5728227/)
Make your own cold brew on the cheap (http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/coldhome/)

I find this superior to all other methods. I have not tried Java Juice, but imagine it is similar in concept. This way I can choose my strength though