PDA

View Full Version : Success with a GPS problem

fiddlehead
04-28-2008, 09:13
Well, i finally did it. I have been working on designing a hiking trail the length of the island where i live here in Phuket, Thailand. I have been designing it on google earth and then go out and hike it and see what it's like, where it has to be changed and then create a route to give to the Thai Dept. of Tourism to hopefully get it built.

Anyway, my problem has been the GPS. My etrex was stolen when i returned to the states in Dec. I bought another one on ebay in Jan after i returned here, waited until it got sent over here, then found out the data cable didn't seem to work.

Found out after talking to tech support that for some reason that they can't explain, some data cables work with the etrex and some don't. Anyway, i found a friend over here who had another one and wow it worked.

So, i tried to transfer my route built with Google Earth to the GPS. Not so easy. Google Earth only lets you save a KLM file (or KLZ). So, i learned that i had to download a program called GpsBabel (freeware although they want a donation) It comes zipped and after finally unzipping, i successfully converted the file i made to a GPX file.

Then i had to download another program called "EasyGPS" that allows you to work with the GPX file and convert it to a track (not a route but a track) and finally (by now i have recharged my batteries about 3 times while trying everything) I was able to install the route i created into my GPS.

So, tomorrow, it's time to go out and actually hike my route. (I've done the first mile or so) This is going to be the fun part as I made the trail like the AT: Hiking the tops of the highest points and going up the tough way.
Now the hills of Phuket are steep and it's mostly jungle although there are rubber tree plantations and pineapple fields around.

So, it's going to be an aprox 70 mile bushwhack although i only did the 1st 10 miles to go out and see how it works. Creating the route on Google Earth is the easy part for sure. It took me 3 months to get it into a GPS. Now a few batteries, lots of water (100 deg here yesterday) a machete, a cell phone (in case of cobra attacks) and i'll let you all know how it pans out.

I thought about asking for advice on here as i know the Wise Owl is good at this kind of thing. But figured i'd learn more by figuring it out myself.
Wish me luck. If you don't hear from me, the local pot growing mafia or a cobra got me. :sun

ki0eh
04-28-2008, 11:04
The current version of DNR Garmin would be a one step conversion to download right from the Garmin into a Google Earth file. It's free so if you have time you can download it and see if that works better for you.

I was doing the same thing as you were yesterday - however I work in ArcGIS not Google Earth, it was about 2 km of the GET not 100+ km in Thailand, and the jungle is Pennsylvania chaparral - mountain-laurel and blueberry that grew up after a 1960s era fire in one of the driest sections of Pa. SHOULD have had the machete...

fiddlehead
04-28-2008, 17:30
I checked out that DNR. It seems to only work with this "ArcView"
Looks like they don't have maps for Asia though.

Could you list some of the advantages/disadvantages over Google Earth.

One good thing about Google Earth is that it does get updated from time to time. Although here in Thailand it is only about every year or two.

mudhead
04-28-2008, 17:35
Call the Discovery channel. This sounds like an adventure. Be safe, have fun.

ki0eh
04-28-2008, 19:05
The new DNR Garmin works as a standalone program - go to http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html and scroll about 3/4 of the way down to the download link to version 5.3.2 - install it, run the program by itself, you save file to Google Earth, then open Google Earth, navigate to your saved file, and you've got it. You can safely ignore the remaining functionality of DNR Garmin.

I guess the "advantage" to running ArcGIS vs. Google Earth is like driving a Range Rover vs. a Prius - the Prius will get you to where you want to go more quickly if you're not going off track - the Range Rover will get you more places for paying a lot more money to acquire and to run and for more difficulty to use. I use the ArcGIS for creating maps that eventually run off the same presses as National Geographic's - not many need to do that. I'd use Google Earth a lot more if I found the interface comfortable, or likely if I were just starting out on this stuff.

fiddlehead
04-29-2008, 00:41
Call the Discovery channel. This sounds like an adventure. Be safe, have fun.

That gives me an idea, i will take my video camera along.
Today it is raining so i will not go bushwhacking today. But i did go out early this morning to check a few road crossings on my motorcycle and found that the points were right on as far as accuracy. And i also noticed that is going to be pretty thick in some of the jungle here.

Thanks for the advice Ki0ew . I will try that link later today. I am hoping there is some kind of mapping for Phuket. That is the main reason i am using google earth. It is easy to see the high points and the best ways to connect them without crossing too many roads.
I want to design the kind of trail that i would like to hike. Although i will let it up to the people with the money to decide on how many switchbacks, bridges, waterbars, etc. will be needed.
I figure this is a great way to create jobs, promote tourism, and help keeping people fit as well as get them into nature a little more.

fiddlehead
04-29-2008, 04:41
The new DNR Garmin works as a standalone program - go to http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html and scroll about 3/4 of the way down to the download link to version 5.3.2 - install it, run the program by itself, you save file to Google Earth, then open Google Earth, navigate to your saved file, and you've got it. You can safely ignore the remaining functionality of DNR Garmin.

I guess the "advantage" to running ArcGIS vs. Google Earth is like driving a Range Rover vs. a Prius - the Prius will get you to where you want to go more quickly if you're not going off track - the Range Rover will get you more places for paying a lot more money to acquire and to run and for more difficulty to use. I use the ArcGIS for creating maps that eventually run off the same presses as National Geographic's - not many need to do that. I'd use Google Earth a lot more if I found the interface comfortable, or likely if I were just starting out on this stuff.

Well, i gave it a try. I downloaded the program following yours (and theirs) instructions but the program wouldn't open. Then i joined the forum for it but the only way i see to ask a question is to send to everybody on the list. I'm not into that at all.
So, I will stick with what i have. It seems to be working. The biggest problem is that it will only do a "track" and not a route" but no big deal. I want to create the "route" by walking it anyway as that will be more realistic for the trail.
I have to go buy a machete first anyway. Thanks for helping. If there's any interest, i'll try to post some results as i hike it. I just wanted to explain to others how i did it and wasn't aware of the problems.

I wonder why google Earth just doesn't allow you to save as a gpx file.
i guess Garmin doesn't make it easy cause they want you to buy mapsource rather than doing it with free google earth. Anyway, i updated to the recent version of GE and now it is like flying a helicopter with the controls. ( I guess, i never really flew a helicopter, but it is a lot easier than the older version)

ki0eh
04-29-2008, 08:09
Yep, I'd definitely stick with what works! :) However I did have a guy with a problem running the DNR Garmin program, he re-downloaded it and it worked the second time and now he's happily sending me data.

I'd be interested in hearing about your project, maybe others would too.

As for why these guys don't just use the same file format, that's a pet peeve of mine, and many others...:mad:

gunn parker
04-29-2008, 08:33
Hi
Good luck with your work, can you get paper topo maps of your area?
Have at look at Google search, there are kml to gpx converters out there which would make things a little easier.
HERE (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/101188/page/0)is one I found after a quick look but I have NOT tried it out.
Gunn

fiddlehead
04-29-2008, 09:09
Gunn Parker, you are from Australia, perhaps you have been to Thailand. Maps here are terrible. I remember when i first told my wife i was going to drive from south to north (about the size of CA) she said i was nuts and i would never find the way.

Once i got there, she told some people in town and they came to ask me how to drive to Bangkok. When i showed them on a map, they couldn't grasp north from south and i made them write down every turn. Then they asked me where they could get one of those papers with the lines on them. I said Bankok! they all laughed. It was catch 22.

My wife still cannot figure out where north is when she is standing at the beach!

No, Google earth or there are some mapping programs you can buy (done by westerners) online that can be installed into a GPS.
But I am planning my trail mostly thru wild jungle, rubber tree and palm oil plantations, and as little road crossings as possible. Thai people mostly think i'm nuts but some westerners are interested.

gunn parker
04-29-2008, 09:21
HI
No I have not been to Thailand unfortunately but I have some maps that might just cover your area.
I am trying to think of a way I can help. I once had an etrex but I now have a 60csx.
Good luck.