PDA

View Full Version : dog training

kaemac
04-28-2008, 10:39
Hey folks
I'm getting ready for my SOBO hike with my dog. I have been considering a lot of different things and working on fine-tuning his training. Something has been somewhat bothering me lately, though, but I don't know if I really should worry too much about it. Bears. We've camped and hiked before, nothing new for this mutt, but never have encountered a bear. Should I be super concerned about a bear encounter with him? Everyone keeps telling me that more than likely that he will scare the bear. But these are folks who have just done small camping trips like myself. What should I worry about? What should I not worry about? What should I make sure he knows, training wise, to avoid problems with bears and other wildlife? Helpful suggestions are welcomed. Please don't tell me to leave him at home, b/c that is not an option. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

napster
04-28-2008, 11:00
you will prob be the one to scares the bear away, just hope your dog don"t give chase and pray the bear aint no sow with cubs

SteveJ
04-28-2008, 11:58
Hey folks
I'm getting ready for my SOBO hike with my dog. I have been considering a lot of different things and working on fine-tuning his training. Something has been somewhat bothering me lately, though, but I don't know if I really should worry too much about it. Bears. We've camped and hiked before, nothing new for this mutt, but never have encountered a bear. Should I be super concerned about a bear encounter with him? Everyone keeps telling me that more than likely that he will scare the bear. But these are folks who have just done small camping trips like myself. What should I worry about? What should I not worry about? What should I make sure he knows, training wise, to avoid problems with bears and other wildlife? Helpful suggestions are welcomed. Please don't tell me to leave him at home, b/c that is not an option. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

2 guaranteed ways to be sure you won't see a bear on the trail (at least in the East): hike with a dog, and hike with boy scouts.....

Flush2wice
04-28-2008, 12:06
Bears like dog.

Nearly Normal
04-28-2008, 18:08
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
"Danger, Will Robinson"!!!

general
04-28-2008, 19:05
train your dog not to chase animals, bears or anything else for that matter, especially skunks. the bears are already trained to avoid dogs. absoulutely nothing to worry about. you'll have more trouble out of folks that don't like dogs on the trail. it is helpful if your dog is trained to stay put no matter what.