PDA

View Full Version : Administrators and Moderators

The Weasel
04-28-2008, 12:59
I'm not sure who the various Administrators and Moderators are, or what the difference is. Perhaps someone who knows could help with these questions, and if it's a good idea, post something where everyone will be able to find it. It is NOT my purpose to discuss what Admins or Moderators should do or how they should do it, but only to know who they are and what forums they are responsible for, if any. (In other words, this is not a "discussion thread" and I ask readers to please consider this a "straight forward" set of questions.):

(1) What are "Administrators"?

(2) What are "Moderators", if there is a difference?

(3) Who are the "Administrators" and/or "Moderators" for WB.

(4) What forums do they cover, if there is a specific assignment, or can they do "administrative things" in any forum?

(5) If appropriate to say, how are they selected?

If this has been covered somewhere else, just point me to where. Thanks.

The Weasel

emerald
04-28-2008, 13:05
Maybe it would be desirable for WhiteBlaze to have a FAQ article linked in plain view from the homepage. This might be one such question which could be addressed.

SGT Rock
04-28-2008, 13:30
I'm not sure who the various Administrators and Moderators are, or what the difference is. Perhaps someone who knows could help with these questions, and if it's a good idea, post something where everyone will be able to find it. It is NOT my purpose to discuss what Admins or Moderators should do or how they should do it, but only to know who they are and what forums they are responsible for, if any. (In other words, this is not a "discussion thread" and I ask readers to please consider this a "straight forward" set of questions.):
The discussions of how moderators should act are in the moderators forum. That forum is only open to moderators and admin.

(1) What are "Administrators"?

Administrators are a small select group. Administrators have universal control over editing, moving, deleting, and other controls. I say that with one exception: I asked to be taken off the Political forum a while back. Administrators can shut off the forum, do software work, create new usergroups, make new forums, etc. That said, we have a division of labor on some of that because too many cooks spoil the soup.

(2) What are "Moderators", if there is a difference?

Moderators can moderate posts and do some things with threads. They generally only have a forum or two they control. They cannot control anything outside their area of operations. I believe we have one super moderator which has the ability to back-up others in their forums. The cannot do nearly as much as an Administrator.

(3) Who are the "Administrators" and/or "Moderators" for WB.

WhiteBlaze had one Administrator back at it's beginning - that was Dave. When Troll and I took over we shared those duties. Later, while I was deployed, my wife came in to help Troll out because it does take some effort. He needed help and she volunteered to help in my stead while I was in Iraq despite the fact she knew little about all you guys at the time. She learned on the fly. When I came back she stayed on instead of stepping down. Recently we expanded Administrators to five, though one stepped down a couple of months ago - so we only have 4 at this time. They are ATTroll, Dixicritter, SGT Rock, and Skidster.

As for moderators - well there is a long list. Not all forums are covered and I would have to look at it. At one time we had the moderator listed on the forum, but that was years ago.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showgroups.php

(4) What forums do they cover, if there is a specific assignment, or can they do "administrative things" in any forum?
All but one moderator has a specific area of assignment. Administrators cover all areas. Some forums do not have moderators because no one has volunteered. Or in the case of some sensitive forums such as the Sensitive Topics and Political ends, we have not assigned a moderator and probably will not.

(5) If appropriate to say, how are they selected?
Volunteer - for moderators anyway. It's pretty simple. Administrators are a different thing and we have to decide if we need one before we go looking. We try to keep that number low. If we need one, we normally look into the moderators to see who has a level head, a good track record, if they want to do it, and if they can handle the software.

For moderators we look at the person's posting history. Lets say MS volunteered to moderate the dog section, we would probably politely say no, but if say Old Fhart asked to do a photo section - we would say yes. It isn't always necessary that the person be an expert in the area however. What is asked is that the person have a good grasp of moderation specific to the forum. For example: Cuffs is the gear moderator. She doesn't have to be the answer person for all things gear related. But she should delete old used gear ads, make sure the section doesn't get spammed, and try to moderate any bad behavior back into TOS. If things go really bad she can soft delete and ask for admin help.

Some topics are so bland that the moderator never has to do anything. Some are mildly a problem, so talking through an issue will resolve it, and some forums are so hot they get heavier moderation in a more rapid manner.

Occasionally we have problems with moderators. Some don't stick around. The same as in anything. Not everyone has a thick skin and can handle it (you will get grief for it) and some people are too heavy handed. We all make mistakes and we all learn - even moderators and admins.

I reckon the key is to recognize mistakes and learn from them.

If this has been covered somewhere else, just point me to where. Thanks.

The Weasel
It hasn't been posted on the main board that I am aware of.

SGT Rock
04-28-2008, 13:37
I moved it to straight forward.

The Weasel
04-28-2008, 15:06
It would be helpful if the Moderators could be listed. Thanks for the info, Rock. Given the demands on your time, if someone else does that, or if it takes a bit of time to do, I understand. Perhaps it would be useful - I think so - if the moderators were again identified with their forums on the main pages.

Thanks again.

TW

SGT Rock
04-28-2008, 15:10
Moderators are listed on each forum, and I posted that list:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showgroups.php

But I don't want to create a rank structure so Goat becomes Moderator Goat. His authority is in the Dog forum, but in other places outside that he is just The Goat.

The Weasel
04-28-2008, 15:37
If the list is at the link above (will go to it in a minute) that should be enough right now. Still, showing that he's a moderator doesn't create a "rank" system, but just lets people know what his role in WB is, just as we know YOUR role is "First Sargeant". Goat would be shown in that space as "Dog Forum Moderator". That's just informational.

TW

The Weasel
04-28-2008, 15:41
Rock: Good page. Perhaps it would be a useful addition to the "About WhiteBlaze" section, along with the description (precisely as you did it) of what Admins and Moderators do.

TW

Tin Man
04-28-2008, 16:07
Seems to me that moderators might be better off anonymous. And I do think the straight forward approach to closing threads after a discussion is over is a big improvement. No explanation needed beyond, "discussion over, time to move on." :cool:

SGT Rock
04-28-2008, 16:10
Straight forward forum guys. Stick to the topic - not some one's next career (or current one)

Alligator
04-29-2008, 23:21
The moderator of any particular forum is listed on the bottom of that forum's page. For example, if you click on the straight forum link above (way up top_) and then scroll to the bottom of the page, the mods are listed.

Tin Man
04-30-2008, 06:23
Is it off-topic to thank the admins and mods for their thankless efforts and commend them for an excellent job here on WB? Because if it is off-topic, I won't do that.

SGT Rock
04-30-2008, 09:18
Naw, we will allow it.

ofthearth
04-30-2008, 09:35
Is it off-topic to thank the admins and mods for their thankless efforts and commend them for an excellent job here on WB? Because if it is off-topic, I won't do that.

And I won't either. Great job. Thanks! Have learned a lot. And I like the Pages. Thanks again. PS Try to keep smiling.