PDA

View Full Version : TMI in the General Forum?

emerald
04-28-2008, 13:26
There are so many threads and topics addressed the General AT forum, I expect important topics which should be easily located by new members cannot be found by them and new threads are started because of it which may not be needed or desirable.

Maybe somehow it could be organized better by setting up sub-forums, key words or an index of some sort. I know people can use the search tool provided, but if you don't know for what you should search, it's hard to know where to begin.

SGT Rock
04-28-2008, 13:38
I can see where you are coming from. But...

WhiteBlaze has a whole lot of forums and sub-forums. At a certain point it get hard to find the right sub-forum to move posts into when I know they need moved. If we added more I'd go crazy.

emerald
04-28-2008, 13:46
I believe I understand your position, yet it seems to be where everything gets dumped when it doesn't appear to have a place elsewhere.

Maybe someone will have some suggestions that are practical within the constraints of the software. I don't know it well enough to offer much more than I already have.

That said, good titles help.

dixicritter
04-28-2008, 13:56
You're right it is... and we do try and move things out of there to the appropriate forums as we catch them just so you know. :)

Pokey2006
04-28-2008, 21:36
As for newbies not being able to find things -- the search engine on WB works extremely well. No one should have any trouble finding the answers to anything that's been discussed on here.

dmax
04-28-2008, 22:42
i think it is o.k. to ask an old brought up subject, even if it hass meen brought up before. i like to read the new wisdom that might have been gained since the subject was last posted. i've had no trouble looking things up. thanks for the hard work.

Rain Man
04-29-2008, 10:12
As for newbies not being able to find things -- the search engine on WB works extremely well. No one should have any trouble finding the answers to anything that's been discussed on here.

I very strongly disagree. Like any database search engine, a wanderer can find the answer if he knows the answer and/or is willing to wade through a morass.

To this day I sometimes have trouble finding an old post or thread that tickles the back of my mind. In my opinion, finding whether some particular topic or some particular post has been discussed before is hit-and-miss (unless it's "dogs" or "guns," then you have the opposite problem). It's like proving a negative for a newbie.

On another tack, I'd prefer many more threads be started in Straight Forward rather than General. The real problem on WhiteBlaze is silly thread drift, just because some middle-school-mentality posters think it's "funny" to upset the apple cart and watch everything spill. That's another HUGE reason it's hard to find the thread you're looking for among all the worthless garbage, the sheer volume of garbage in, garbage out. I'm not saying WhiteBlazers shouldn't be allowed to act like middle-schoolers if that's their thing. They just need to do it in their own threads, not by stealing from others.

IMHO, of course. :D

Some think thread drift has value, but I think they get there only by mixing apples and oranges.

Rain:sunMan