PDA

View Full Version : The Best Articles Not Yet Written

emerald
04-28-2008, 14:32
I suspect there are many articles not yet written from which readers would benefit other than those I think about from time to time. I have 2 in mind. Maybe I will write them and maybe I won't. Maybe I should start threads to solicit input? If I never write them myself, at least someone else might have a place to start.

Let's mind-storm. What would you like to know and what would you like others to know? What good information gets buried in threads and should be more readily accessible especially to newbies?

Heater
04-28-2008, 14:40
I suspect there are many articles not yet written from which many could benefit other than those which I think about from time to time. I have 2 in mind. Maybe I will write them and maybe I won't. Maybe I should start threads to solicit input? If I never write them myself, at least someone else might have a place to start.

Let's mind-storm. What would you like to know and what would you like others to know? What good information gets buried in threads and should be more readily accessible especially to newbies?

I'd like to see an article that shows conclusive evidence as to whether or not there is such a thing as a Woodsy. ;)

tiptoe
04-28-2008, 14:43
Here are a few suggestions. These topics are touched on in various parts of the site, but new hikers might find it useful to have tips, gear suggestions, and no-nos all in one place.

hiking in hot weather
hiking in cold weather
hiking in rain

hopefulhiker
04-28-2008, 14:48
I think interviews with the people who run hostels would be good.

emerald
04-28-2008, 14:56
I'd like to see an article that shows conclusive evidence as to whether or not there is such a thing as a Woodsy.;)

That's not one of the topics I had in mind. You didn't even spell the screen name correctly. Besides, I know what I know on the subject and am pledged to secrecy which I hold sacred.:)

Tin Man
04-28-2008, 16:18
I don't know if it is covered anywhere, but maybe an article on etiquette would be a good addition. Seems common sense is a lost talent these days and people need reminding what constitutes acceptable behaviors.

SGT Rock
04-28-2008, 16:46
Jack Tarlin wrote one like that a while back sort of. It got a lot of flak from people for various reasons.

rcli4
04-28-2008, 16:52
A list of Hostels and cheap places to stay, impressions of each one. Cost, amenities and the like.

Clyde

Bare Bear
04-28-2008, 16:52
Mark Twain said it best; "The problem with common sense is that it isn't very common anymore." Now if that was so many years ago maybe it is just our perspective?

Jack Tarlin
04-28-2008, 17:04
If you're talking about the post I wrote on How to Be a Good House/Hostel Guest, you're right, Rock, I got my head handed to me.

On the other hand, it provided a very useful list of folks who won't ever be seen in my home! :D

Tin Man
04-28-2008, 17:05
Jack Tarlin wrote one like that a while back sort of. It got a lot of flak from people for various reasons.

Without the benefit of reading the article, I can understand how it would be easy to catch flak if it was too specific. I was thinking something along the lines that would make people think a little about how certain actions could affect others, both on trail and during in-town stops. In other words, establish some boundaries where hiking your hike does not mean at the expense of others. For example... "Do not expect the same level of privacy and behavior in a shelter that you expect from a motel room. However, some level of respect for others in a shelter will likely be appreciated and remembered. Here are a few things to consider..." then list the common things and what an acceptable response might be without listing hard rules and noting that moving on is an option if people are not showing the reasonable level of respect to you that you might be showing them.

ki0eh
05-01-2008, 09:02
Botanical highlights of the A.T.
Geological highlights of the A.T.
Alternative routes to the A.T. (probably not first on SoG's list :D )

T-Dubs
05-01-2008, 09:11

Those are 3 I'd like to see, also. The geology of trail sections would be especially interesting to me.

The problem with an 'etiquette/manners' article is that those who need it probably wouldn't read it.

TWS

leeki pole
05-01-2008, 09:17
I'd agree wholeheartedly and add birds as well.

SGT Rock
05-01-2008, 09:18
The problem with an 'etiquette/manners' article is that those who need it probably wouldn't read it.

TWS

Or this: those that needed it were offended when they read about something they should be doing but weren't or something they shouldn't be doing but were.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-01-2008, 10:19
I would like to see an article written by the spouses and significant others of thru-hikers about coping with the feeling of loss / the sense of abandonment, anger that they are out having fun and you are stuck home holding down the fort, and loneliness. It could also address dealing with the feelings of children of thru-hikers. While not every family member left behind feels these things, I can tell you from having held many, many wives and a handful of husband's hands, the majority do at some point and some feel this way the majority of the time the thru is out there.

This article - or maybe a separate article - could deal with the feeling the parents of younger thru-hikers have - fear about their safety, fear about their behavior, and the whole 'letting go' thing.

emerald
05-01-2008, 14:22

I'd like to do more to inform readers about unusual botanical features associated with the AT if it didn't lead to their ruination. I've already posted to some extent on the subject. More could be done to inform AT hikers without despoiling the features its corridor protects.

As you know, you and I have both posted on geological subjects. I'd like to see Minnesota Smith contribute an article on geology.

I've recommended Mountains of the Heart here before and began a thread on it which addresses this subject to some extent. I should take up again what I once started with that thread at some point.

If I wanted to bother, I could find posts where I all but pleaded with people to post on the topic of alternative or blue routes. I've posted about the old AT route on SGL #110 many times.

emerald
05-01-2008, 14:31
I'd agree wholeheartedly and add birds as well.

More could be done with birds. Idealist provided a good starting point. Once Idealist is (are) finished with their AT hike, either or both might be the perfect person(s) for the job.

I'm beginning to recall quite a few threads and/or posts which could be linked from here for those who desire more information about these subjects or might consider writing one of the threads proposed.

ki0eh
05-01-2008, 14:43
I'd like to do more to inform readers about unusual botanical features associated with the AT if it didn't lead to their ruination.

I'm thinking that just the "usual" botanical stuff could be worth an article - about what most folks could expect to see, when, and where - if someone could be found with a gift of writing both accessibly and knowledgably about it. Know anyone? ;)

I'd like to see Minnesota Smith contribute one.

That's who I thought of too - I haven't been around long enough to know what's been compiled here about it but I recall seeing references to him giving geology talks for work for stay. I tried to find online the publication "Geology of the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania" but it's both not online, and out of print. (It's report G 74 in this list: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/pub/general.aspx )

If I wanted to bother, I could find posts where I all but pleaded with people to post on the topic of alternative or blue routes. I've posted about the old AT route on SGL #110 many times.

I'm thinking "alternative routes" as discussed here take three categories - short shortcuts (e.g. Susquehanna Trail just north of Duncannon); longer weekend (e.g. Mau-Har Trail in Va.) and then multi-county or state but still connected to the A.T. (e.g. Benton Mackaye Trail). I think there's plenty of discussion of all three types here as raw material for someone to sort through and compile.

jlb2012
05-01-2008, 16:50
hummm - how about an article on games played in a shelter (no not those types of games) - definitive rules for fart baseball for example

sofaking
05-01-2008, 16:55
hummm - how about an article on games played in a shelter (no not those types of games) - definitive rules for fart baseball for example
you didn't stick around long enough at high top the other night...we could have used an umpire:banana

SGT Rock
05-01-2008, 16:57
Ohhh, good idea! There are some good ones.

emerald
05-01-2008, 17:05
A bibliography of regional and state floras and/or treatments of other groups including field guides useful near the AT might be desirable.

Pennsylvania Rose
05-01-2008, 17:50
How about a list of all the AT books/videos?

Skidsteer
05-01-2008, 17:56
How about a list of all the AT books/videos?

Try Earthworm's(a WhiteBlaze member)site:

http://booksforhikers.com/

emerald
05-01-2008, 18:05
It would be difficult to improve upon Books for Hikers. Maybe its link could be put somewhere it might be more easily located, perhaps in the FAQ I suggested elsewhere recently.

It's bookmarked to My Favorites, but that doesn't do anyone else any good.

emerald
05-01-2008, 18:07
What just occurred is not infrequently what happens when anyone asks about books.

Skidsteer
05-01-2008, 18:30
What just occurred is not infrequently what happens when anyone asks.

It'll be Ok. I already posted the link. :D

Try Earthworm's(a WhiteBlaze member)site:

http://booksforhikers.com/

emerald
05-01-2008, 18:45
I should have retained my link. Posted 3 times in succession, surely no one could miss it and it might be harder to forget too. Books for Hikers, that's what it's called, got it?

Idealist
05-02-2008, 12:39
More could be done with birds. Idealist provided a good starting point. Once Idealist is (are) finished with their AT hike, either or both might be the perfect person(s) for the job.
Not a bad idea for preventing Post-AT Blues next winter. We’ll keep it in mind…

Another vote for gaming ideas (card games, dice games, games w/out props) and geological highlights.

Also, a “Tying-up Loose Ends” article may be helpful. Forwarding mail. Find a home for the fish/cat/plants. Find a sitter for the humidor. Contact information in case of emergency. Renew computer’s antivirus software. etc.

Pennsylvania Rose
05-02-2008, 12:52
Thanks for the link! Great site!

Wags
05-02-2008, 23:56
what about a detailed map list with some color to show water, accurate elevations/grade etc... the at pages blow and i refuse to pay a membership fee at trails.com i'll go out and get lost in before i go that route

emerald
05-03-2008, 09:04
I believe ATC should be our source for AT maps. People who want to hike on the AT should support ATC. If their maps are not the best available in every way, it should be called their attention and they should be improved.

That said, if you want maps for portions of the AT in Pennsylvania for pre-hike planning purposes only, you could visit PGC's and DCNR's websites. Be advised, the maps available there do not in all cases show the current AT route and you will wish you have broadband if you don't. You may not even be able to download them.

SGT Rock
05-03-2008, 09:14
Well, since we are talking maps - It would be nice if someone went out and put together a good article on Google Earth trail maps available. I used them in Iraq when putting together my trail plans ahead of time for my thru - especially trying to figure where the BMT and AT hooked up and how to do some re-supply/shuttle work. Since I have gotten back the Google maps have been really good at helping my find some of those hard to find trail crossings in the back-country.

jlb2012
05-03-2008, 12:59
you didn't stick around long enough at high top the other night...we could have used an umpire:banana

yeah - it looked like it was going to be a good evening but I figured it was best to leave as soon as hiker midnight came around ;-) Ya'll were a good group.

emerald
02-06-2009, 18:59
Now seeking suggestions for a WhiteBlaze article on health insurance for hikers. The exact subject matter to be covered is still to be determined. Your comments are welcome. To contribute, click on Health insurance (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46176).

Rockhound
02-06-2009, 19:20
An article on the art of a successful YOGI would be both funny and educational.

randyg45
02-06-2009, 20:57

I think I could really enjoy a forum devoted to AT botany. I know from nothing about so much of that. If the mods are listening, so to write, :sun one way to organize it might be to give each different plant its own thread, which could open with a complete phottographic/identification sticky; posts could explain different uses for different plants, sightings of rare plants, whatever....

randyg45
02-06-2009, 21:06
Or this: those that needed it were offended when they read about something they should be doing but weren't or something they shouldn't be doing but were.
Top, I'm in recovery almost a couple decades now, but I well remember how the things I heard in meetings that made me angry were the things I needed most to hear. I can still be an ******* sometimes, but at least I don't need to be so angry about it.

When you throw a rock into a pack of sleeping dogs, it's the struck one that barks.

emerald
02-06-2009, 21:30
I think I could really enjoy a forum devoted to AT botany.

Botanical subjects are discussed here often. Someone who wants to learn about Appalachian vegetation should read The Appalachians or Mountains of the Heart. Someone who craves more after reading both will find plenty.

One of the better sources of information online is USDA Plants Database. When complete, Flora of North America should be as good as good gets.

TrippinBTM
02-06-2009, 21:49

And historical highlights would be neat too.

emerald
02-06-2009, 21:56
ATC's taken care of that one already. Click on History (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786749/k.D5F9/History.htm) and Trail Years at the bottom. WhiteBlaze ought to provide a Trail Years link where it can be easily found, but asking will produce its link almost as quickly as someone will post a link to Books for Hikers.

TrippinBTM
02-06-2009, 22:06
I'm referring more to things like the Revolutionary War, Civil War, settlement, Native Americans... that kind of history.

Rusty_S
02-06-2009, 22:14
I'm referring more to things like the Revolutionary War, Civil War, settlement, Native Americans... that kind of history.
Have you read Model T's book "Walking With the Ghost Whisperers"? It has a lot of very good information about history along the trail.

emerald
02-06-2009, 22:21

That's a broad topic for an article. I would think it would need to be narrowed somehow or split into several. Perhaps that's what you had in mind.

The subject matter you've inquired about is addressed to some extent by ATC's guides, but most through hikers don't carry them. I did and still think I'd rather carry them, especially were I hiking the A.T. for the 1st time.

You may find the thread I started called History as a Mystery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35528) more to your liking. It's a thread of linked articles about the A.T. county where I live. There's much more I could add and it might be possible to work this information into an article about Pennsylvania during its colonial period or through the 19th century.

In order to view the thread you will need to subscribe to General Non-AT talk. I put it there because strictly the material isn't A.T.-related. Are you subscribed? I can help you with that if you're not.

I know of an online historical novel set in Berks County during the Civil War. It was written by someone who lived on a farm in the 1860s which abuts my own property. You might enjoy it. I'd always intended to link it to History as a Mystery and now have.

Darwin again
02-06-2009, 23:08
V. Collins Chew did an excellent job on the geology with his book, Underfoot: etc.
http://www.librarything.com/work/371275
it's not an article per se, but it's broken into segments of trail.

emerald
02-06-2009, 23:15
Glad you mentioned it. Some hikers who are new to the A.T. may not have heard of it before.

emerald
09-05-2009, 10:20
When to begin hikes and weather come up often which makes me wonder whether these related issues have been adequately addressed.

Captain
09-05-2009, 13:43
I think interviews with the people who run hostels would be good.

second the notion

Rockhound
09-05-2009, 15:10
I'd like to see an article listing all bars, taverns, pubs etc... within close proximity of the trail.

emerald
09-05-2009, 16:08
The A.T. wasn't conceived to make tap rooms more accessible to bar-hopping pedestrians, but the topic does seem to have an audience.

Why not write an article about your favorite watering hole as did Hoop Time, who recently wrote Doyle Hotel carves niche with hikers (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=887122#post887122), or convince a local journalist to write it for you? Others might comment on theirs which could lead to more articles.

Some people may be thinking too big which may be one reason why few articles are produced. Collaborating with other members to write articles results in something of lasting benefit.

Information contained within articles is more easily acquired than what's buried in threads, it's more reliable and can be updated as new information becomes available.