PDA

View Full Version : Beards

DeBare
02-04-2004, 11:20
I see from the photos posted that most guys grow beards. Is that just easyer then carrying a razor (you know -keeping the weight down :p ) or is there some other advantage to having a beard? I would think that at some point the beard would weigh more then a razor :banana

rumbler
02-04-2004, 11:25
Why miss the opportunity to go a few months without shaving? Besides, if you get to Maine late you will appreciate the warmth.

Kerosene
02-04-2004, 12:08
My face itches too much and gets too oily to grow a real beard. Plus, my red beard clashes with my dark hair (atlhough after 4 days my last trip my beard was more grey than red!). I shave conincident with my mail drops, so typically every 3-5 days.

Lone Wolf
02-04-2004, 12:12
I've had a beard since my first thru-hike back in 86.

Lumberjack
02-04-2004, 12:18
I see from the photos posted that most guys grow beards. Is that just easyer then carrying a razor (you know -keeping the weight down :p ) or is there some other advantage to having a beard? I would think that at some point the beard would weigh more then a razor :banana

Its just a minor reversion to our caveman period.... pay it no mind

:datz :datz :datz

DeBare
02-04-2004, 13:27
my beard grows uneven so I'm packing a couple razors -thanks :-?

chris
02-04-2004, 13:36
My beard keeps my face warm in the mountains and the sun off my cheeks at other times. Of course, I was so tanned at the end of last summer I could not shave my beard for fear of having a two-toned face.

jollies
02-04-2004, 13:56
Who cares what your beard looks like? I grew it because, as was mentioned earlier, who passes that opportunity up? The trail is a place you don't have to worry about your personal appearance, enjoy it!! :clap

Brushy Sage
02-04-2004, 14:55
I let my beard start growing out during my conditioning for the AT, then let it grow long during the hike. I trim it back now so it doesn't look so ragged, but it is definitely a part of my personality. And I have met a woman who says a beard is more "cuddly than stubble.

Jaybird
02-04-2004, 15:03
to beard or not to beard....

its an easy decision for me....i usually am sporting a "goatee" style beard anyway...sooooooooooooo...when i hike the rest of the facial hair gets to catch up! hehehehehehe :p

see my latest...http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?trailname=864

gravityman
02-04-2004, 15:30
I shaved mine after a while. The main problem is that my wife keeps looking younger and younger as we hike and she loses more and more weigh (not that she weighs much, but she lost almost all her body fat... Uh... well... I'm glad she doesn't read these forums 'cause I know I would get in trouble for say that!) and I start to look older and older with the beard. Someone thought that I was her older uncle. So, I shaved!

Gravity Man

LWOP
02-04-2004, 21:57
I can think of many advantages of the beard. Warmth, protection from wind and sun, it helps fight off insects (black flies too), and it helps identify you as a long distance hiker. Lets face it, thru-hikers gravitate to other thru-hikers. By the time you get to central VA you have that no fat, hairy look. Without the beard, you look like a starved local or worse yet, a day hiker.
I got a one month headstart on my beard. It is going to be cold on Springer the end of February and it will help me stay warm. It may make me look older but so what? I've been told it looks sexy... and that too can help to keep you warm. :D

snuffleupagus
02-04-2004, 22:05
Isn't the "Rupert" look in this year. He was one cool character. Plus every year I shave I find another chin growing down there. Hence I end up growing it all over again.

Footslogger
02-05-2004, 16:08
Wasn't the intended purpose, but I did find an M & M or two that got stuck in my beard at some point ...came in handy one afternoon when my sugar levels dropped :D

tribes
02-05-2004, 16:59
Why miss the opportunity to go a few months without shaving? Besides, if you get to Maine late you will appreciate the warmth.

I am fortunate enough to be able to keep a beard year round. In fact my current beard has not been completely removed in 10 or so years :) I think shaving on the trail is a waste of effort unless you are really bothered by the scruff that much.

Moon Monster
02-06-2004, 00:07
Isn't the "Rupert" look in this year.

Looking around at DC area commuters over the last 5 years, I've noticed a definite trend of full beards coming back into vogue. Trimmed of course (not Rupert neccessarily).

There's a chapter in the 19th Century classic "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" that describes the ebbs and flows of facial hair styles, and how full beards come and go.

Israel
02-06-2004, 02:33
I've had my beard since about 1992 or 1993. I think I will keep it for at least another 20 years, probably more. :)

Shadrach
10-02-2004, 03:18
Personally i'm waiting for the walrus mustache to make a comeback.

Pencil Pusher
10-02-2004, 03:47
Yeah, the beard seems more a rite of passage than general lazyness. Some of those photos on this website are funny to look at.

Flash Hand
10-02-2004, 05:17
Beards VS baby faces thru hikers

Beards:

short distance hikers get jealous of you
locals give you high fives
more hamburgers and plenty of free beers from trail angels
easily get hitched for a ride.
women won't have problem understand why your stinky
confuse mountain lions that your a fericous ape
get extra $ from locals
stay warm in freezing weather
trying to win for a baltimore jack look a like contest

baby faces:

short distance hikers like you
locals give you handshakes
one hamburger and one free beer from trail angels
30 minutes to get a ride
women complains more every time you past them
youll be the favorite dish for mountain lions
you will get extra candies from locals
youll always stay close to campfires

and you will never look like baltimore jack :banana

Flash Hand :jump

tlbj6142
10-02-2004, 09:11
I can't stand having the sweat collect in the beard. A such, I always start a hike clean shaving. I can't get past that extremely annoying issue to find out if there are other problems with having a longer/thicker beard.

Tha Wookie
10-02-2004, 11:45
"You know youre a thru-hiker when you find granola in your beard and hour after after lunch, and are excited to the point of tears"

-shelter entry, Roaring Forks '01

kentucky
10-02-2004, 12:11
For me its just a matter of being and feeling like a mountain man specially when ai go town!:bse kentucky!

Clark Fork
10-02-2004, 13:07
[
I see from the photos posted that most guys grow beards. Is that just easyer then carrying a razor (you know -keeping the weight down :p ) or is there some other advantage to having a beard? I would think that at some point the beard would weigh more then a razor :bananaSome of this new gear I am running into as I work on my AT section hike feasibility study sets me to laughing out loud at my computer. Relentless weight reduction rules.....

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/ultralight_razor.html

My guess is that I will only be out 3 weeks at the most for section hiking so gorilla reversion appears to be an option. However, short term section hiking may not last long enough to shuck off the evolutionary standards of modern day homo sapiens. I spent 32 years in the hotel business and I frequently exhorted staff to observe my high school coach's stricture about uniforms and appearance. "Look sharp and play sharp." he said. Hiking successfully is a triangle of knowledge, skills and attitude, the most important segment being attitude. Attitudes evidently change during extended hikes so there probably is no real answer other than the simple alternative to provide for shaving at first and then once going consider what seems to work from both a practical point of view and what seems right in terms of a personal perspective.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana 35 degrees and Sunny

orangebug
10-02-2004, 13:13
I have had my beard since 1976. I had my wife since 1977. I think I'll lose both next month before my 2 week section hike.

Mags
10-02-2004, 16:07
When I did the AT, let my beard grow for the first time. No one had seen me with a beard before, so it was pretty wild at the end of the trail when my buddies saw this beard on me. Definitely inherited the family trait of having a heavy beard! To shave on trail would not work too well.

Off trail, I find it easier to be clean shaven. To me, trimming a beard is a big pain in the butt. I spend more time making sure it is shaped correctly, having the jaw line just right, etc. Rather just shave! It is quicker for me. If I ever really wanted a beard, it would only take about three weeks or so to grow again.

I could let it "just go" off trail, but well, I'd look like this:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/ane

Think of the fun I'd have at gov't installations! :)

Flash Hand
10-02-2004, 17:25
When I did the AT, let my beard grow for the first time. No one had seen me with a beard before, so it was pretty wild at the end of the trail when my buddies saw this beard on me. Definitely inherited the family trait of having a heavy beard! To shave on trail would not work too well.

Off trail, I find it easier to be clean shaven. To me, trimming a beard is a big pain in the butt. I spend more time making sure it is shaped correctly, having the jaw line just right, etc. Rather just shave! It is quicker for me. If I ever really wanted a beard, it would only take about three weeks or so to grow again.

I could let it "just go" off trail, but well, I'd look like this:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/ane

Think of the fun I'd have at gov't installations! :)

you scared me! I thought ur were bin Laden

Flash Hand :jump

MisterSweetie
10-02-2004, 17:27
When I was 19 I touched the AT for the first time in my life. I grew a beard for that occasion, and I've had it ever since. :)

Pencil Pusher
10-02-2004, 17:55
Oh Mags, I think you'd make a much better impression with this pic: http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/alz ;)

Nice album btw, still browsing through it!

...Holy cow, I should say nice albums! One could literally spend all day browsing through that many pictures! Dang, you've been hiking all over this big country. Nice pic without the beard too, heh heh:D

Mags
10-03-2004, 19:32
you scared me! I thought ur were bin Laden Flash Hand :jump
Well, he is quite a bit taller and thinner than me. :)

Through a role of the genetic dice, tend to look more ethnic than the average person of European background.
My ancestry is southern Italian..but I've been mistaken for Jewish, a light skinned Arab (esp. when I do have the beard!), Puerto Rican. etc. Anyone whose skin tone is slighty tan year round basically.

Long story short...a thick "thru-hiker" beard ads to the effect! :)

Mags
10-03-2004, 19:35
Oh Mags, I think you'd make a much better impression with this pic: http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/alz ;)

Nice album btw, still browsing through it!

...Holy cow, I should say nice albums! One could literally spend all day browsing through that many pictures! Dang, you've been hiking all over this big country. Nice pic without the beard too, heh heh:D
Thanks for the compliments. Been lucky that I've had the time and oppurtunities to do the hiking I've done. Helps that I live in a place that is good for that, too!

But, the pic you highlighted show the other danger of having a beard: You tend to wear what you eat. :jump

Tha Wookie
10-03-2004, 20:25
It seems sometimes to me that "city" men are intimidated by men with beards. I've literally heard them say things behind my back, but never once to my face about having a beard. My girlfriend says they're jealous. Anybody else feel this?

Alligator
10-03-2004, 21:24
It seems sometimes to me that "city" men are intimidated by men with beards. I've literally heard them say things behind my back, but never once to my face about having a beard. My girlfriend says they're jealous. Anybody else feel this?
They're just bitter that they can't grown one. You know, a patch here a patch there. No place handy to keep snacks.

Nightwalker
10-03-2004, 21:54
my beard grows uneven so I'm packing a couple razors -thanks :-?Pack a Mach 3 cartridge, no handle. It's easy to hang on to, really light, and requires nothing but cold water on yer face to get a comfy, clean shave.

Mags
10-04-2004, 10:42

Hmm..never thought of the angle.

Depends on the type of beard, I suppose. Between the AT and my finish of the PCT had what I call my "English professor beard". Neatly trimmed, close cropped.
Don't think any comments were made (well, except for early October 2001 when I flew back East...hence the mistaken for other ethnic group comment. But, that's another story! ). I also live in a place that has many "outdoorsy" people as well as hippie types (Many jam bands consider Boulder their home base). Bearded guys are farirly common.

But, when I have my thru-hiker beard, I definitely get some odd looks! I don't know if people are so much jealous as they feel uncoforable around what they percieve to be "bums".

After I did the Colorado Trail I had to walk from the Greyhound Station to the RTD (local bus) terminal in downtown Denver to get back to Boulder. It was a fairly short walk, but the walk did include a jaunt down the 16th Street mall in Downtown Denver on a Saturday night. All the "beautiful" people were out. Pressed khakis, the smell of cologne and perfume, people shopping and eating in the many botique type stores. I had picked up some clean non-hiking clothes at the Durango post office, so was was no longer in full "hiker trash" mode. But, I did have my very worn out sneakers on, carried my pack and ski poles and had a full beard that I had grown on the CT.

As I walked down the street, not a single person looked me in the eye. I truly knew how I looked when the pan handlers did not even ask me for change. :)

In all seriousness, unless people are aware of a trail, they look at fully bearded men (esp. with packs) as homeless or some type of vagrant. Sad, but true.
When I was at Crater Lake, was the only backpacker there. Felt very uncomfortable because I knew people were staring at me. It was also after I had not seeny anyone (except for one passing car) in 3.5 days.

Tha Wookie
10-04-2004, 12:22
Mags,

I know how you feel. After just having walked the entire West Coast and not seeing one other person doing the same except formy partner, I had that feeling many times. It was obvious that many people thought I would "bum" something from them or maybe attack them or just smell on them or whatever.

On some road walks, we'd pass people at ocean overlooks and we had a running joke that they would jump in their cars and take off right before we got to them -it happened nearly every time.

The funny part was if they suddenly recognized us from a newspaper story, they'd stop or hesitate and then start asking us a thousand questions.

I completely undersand their perspective in one respect, becuase there are many bearded wanderers on the West Coast and even some have turned out to be criminals although they are usually harmless wanderers too lazy to walk and still dependent on cars.

But still, I feel a much deeper subversion about beards, mostly because I think many men aren't allowed to grow them because of the careers they choose, and they try and justify their caging with a lashing out at those who can, calling them "homeless", "hippie", "taliban", or whatever. People who call bearded men "bin laden" should be tarred and feathered in my opinion. That is seriously offensive to be compared to that dirtbag just because you let God's design go freely. I had a little girl point to me and call me that name while at a shopping mall just days after 9/11. After that i decided to keep my beard to change people's opinions about beards. Plus if you know what I look like the comparison is ludicrus.

I trust a man with a beard at first sight much more than a shaved face. The latter is always hiding something.

MisterSweetie
10-04-2004, 13:10
I can hardly remember one negative comment about my beard. Maybe people just see my face as one that it's good to have covered up. :rolleyes: :o

Mags
10-04-2004, 14:06
shopping mall just days after 9/11. After that i decided to keep my beard to change people's opinions about beards. Plus if you know what I look like the comparison is ludicrus.

I trust a man with a beard at first sight much more than a shaved face. The latter is always hiding something.

Oh..what the heck. Here's my story of flying just after 9/11. As mentioned, I have what is commonly known as an "olive" complexion. Plus I have black hair and a black beard (when I grow it). Put me anywhere in the Mediterranean basin (Be it Lebanon, Turkey, Italy, Greece, Libya..etc..etc), I'd fit in pretty well. Not as dark as Mr. Bin Laden, but not exactly a poster child for the stereotypical "American" look so popular in commercials (esp after many weeks of hiking!)

Anyway, flew in early October 2001..to the Gathering as a matter of fact. Had my beard at the time. (English professor style) Tried to check my bags curbside. The person looked at me, typed in something and said "Sorry, we'll have to ask you to please check your bags inside". OK..no big deal. Checked my bags..no problem.

Got on the plane, the person setting next to me said "You know, if your nose was bigger, I'd be worried". ***?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Caught the bus from Boston to NH and someone said "Hey..I see they are allowing Afghanis on the bus". Again, ***?!?!?!?

So a young man by himself, with a dark beard and slightly darker complexion
was prone to some comments I suppose. Suspsect it was the dark beard as much as anything.

Clean shaven, I simply look like a nice Italian boy again. :)

Having said all that. I do not think clean shaven people are hiding anything neccessarilly. I honestly do not like having a beard off trail. I have short hair because I am lazy..I am clean shaven because I honestly find it easier to shave than trim a beard. Some people just can't grow a beard and look somewhat silly with patches of facial hair.

Interesting discussion though: how appereance can shape people's opinions of you.

smokymtnsteve
10-04-2004, 14:17
The reverse is also true, clean up, shave, put on a suit and neck-tie, carry a nice briefcase and "your in like flynn".

in the tower I work in some in downtown ATL, if I am clean shaven and hair cut, nobody ever looks at my pass. but when I came back from a long hike, and don't shave/cut hair/ they check my pass everytime.

deadair
12-10-2004, 13:47
:clap who wouldnt wanna go 5 or 6 months without shaving

Jaybird
12-11-2004, 10:05
:clap who wouldnt wanna go 5 or 6 months without shaving

...i normally sport a "goatee" style beard year 'round....so, when i'm out on the trail...the rest of the face gets to "catch -up!" hehehehehehe :D

rocket04
12-11-2004, 13:29
I promised myself when I started my hike that I would not shave the entire way. I was really hating it near the end, especially food getting stuck in my beard, but I held on. It's kind of nice to see the caveman look you can come up with by the end of the hike when you haven't shaved (or even trimmed) your beard. Priceless.

Bear Magnet
12-11-2004, 14:23
Through a role of the genetic dice, tend to look more ethnic than the average person of European background.
My ancestry is southern Italian..but I've been mistaken for Jewish, a light skinned Arab (esp. when I do have the beard!), Puerto Rican. etc. Anyone whose skin tone is slighty tan year round basically.

Long story short...a thick "thru-hiker" beard ads to the effect! :)
I'm not as dark as my Calabrian grandfather was (he married Irish/German, and my dad married Polish/English/Dutch) but I did get the South Italian genes for facial hair.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1990/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

And was asked a couple of times on the trail if I was Jewish-including once 14 miles north of Manchester Center, when I was wearing a balaclava that I had rolled up on top of my head. A SOBO couple asked me if I was a holy man, as I looked like a (Orthodox) rabbi with a yarmaluke.

When I finished up my hike in late October, I had a couple of choices for Halloween. Confederate General James C. Longstreet, Fidel Castro, a member of the Taliban, or a pirate. I chose pirate, because I am not a big fan of the Confederacy, communists, and religious fanatics, and decided to go just as a common criminal instead! More importantly, I got to go "Aaarghh Matey" all evening.

I appreciated getting compliments on my beard, but I really wish I actually had some control over it.

"Thank you for the beard compliment. I've been exercising my hair follicles for years to get them in shape to grow a beard like this." :)

And I grew it because I had the time and I could. I didn't have to worry about looking clean cut for a job. Generally, I liked it, although I had to stop eating ice cream cones in Connecticut.

Bear Magnet
Jonathan Amato

zenribbits
12-11-2004, 19:18
So how many of you dressed up as a werewolf for Halloween after completing your long distance hikes? Did you have any other creative ideas for utilizing your extra furry faces?

:dance

The Hog
12-12-2004, 08:50
My beard got so long and bushy that I burned and singed it several times blowing on cooking fires. My pack was duct taped. My smell was one of sweat, smoke, and miles. My body was lean and tough and bug bit. My eyes had the thousand mile stare. I felt at home in the woods. What more can one ask for?

saimyoji
12-12-2004, 18:59
Why the deleted posts?

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 19:05
Well, that is the problem with deleting posts, sometimes the stuff that was offensive is no longer there for folks to understand why they were offensive.

saimyoji
12-12-2004, 19:13
HMMMMM. I'd rather be offended than ignorant.

SGT Rock
12-12-2004, 19:19
Personally I would too, I hate to delete anything, but occasionally we get a lot of reported thread e-mails. Personally, my philosophy is let someone prove they are a fool, biggot, ass, etc - that way everyone can tell it by reading what they say rather than deleting things and leaving people to wonder. But I also trust Troll, if he deleted it, then it needed deleting.

A-Train
12-12-2004, 19:28
Why the deleted posts?

I'll give you the recap. Minnesota said something totally stupid and off-topic that I found offensive (what else is new?) and Wookie and I stupidly took the bait instead of letting him look like an idiot (as he does here on a daily basis).

Fiddleback
12-12-2004, 19:43
Beards and "something totally stupid"...

When I grew a beard I was looking for the Kris Kristofferson look. Unfortunately, I got Jerry Garcia instead. :-?

FB

minnesotasmith
12-12-2004, 20:17
Actually, my post WAS on-topic, as it was about beards and hikers. It involved humor, and IMO an amusing new way of looking at guys (such as hikers) who choose to have beards. I admit may have gone a bit far with my creative use of emoticons there for the mods' tastes, and I fully respect their decision that part of my post may have gone over some line.

There is a point to be made here about beards. When I see beards on men, I think the same thing that I do when I see women with facial peach fuzz, hair on their legs, or under their arms: "******, go clean up!!" Neglect between available town showers for any of those is one thing; neglect for months is quite another. I am undoubtedly not alone in my opinion on this subject in the wider world, hence its relevance.

Presuming it is okay with the mods (and I won't send it until I get an OK from one of them), anyone who wants to see the content of what I posted earlier, feel free to PM me.

orangebug
12-12-2004, 20:33
I have had my beard since 1976. I had my wife since 1977. I think I'll lose both next month before my 2 week section hike.
I did lose the beard, but the divorce thing doesn't complete until tomorrow. I have had only negative comments from my daughters who never saw me without a beard. Everyone else has been incredulous over how much younger I look. I find it absolutely hilarious to see the strange face in the mirror.

And I was surprised that it did not significantly change how I reacted to cold, wind and rain.

Big Oak
12-12-2004, 22:09
Actually, my post WAS on-topic, as it was about beards and hikers. It involved humor, and IMO an amusing new way of looking at guys (such as hikers) who choose to have beards.
You know minnesotasmith, I honestly have never looked at a bearded man's face that way.

minnesotasmith
12-13-2004, 10:01
"And I was surprised that it did not significantly change how I reacted to cold, wind and rain."

That is because a beard actually does not contribute much at all to body insulation, nowhere near (according to a couple of Arctic experts whose writings I've read) worth the extra trouble WRT personal hygiene it creates.

Jaybird
12-13-2004, 10:40
Actually, my post WAS on-topic, as it was about beards and hikers. ..........yada, yada, yada.........................................

When I see beards on men, I think the same thing that I do when I see women with facial peach fuzz, hair on their legs, or under their arms: "******, go clean up!!" Neglect between available town showers for any of those is one thing; neglect for months is quite another. I am undoubtedly not alone in my opinion on this subject in the wider world, hence its relevance..........yada,yada,yada.....blah,blah,bl ah........................

Yo MS

i think most hikers keep their beards as a sort of "Badge of Courage"....something to be proud of...part of the "thru-hiker" thing.

I dont think its about purposly being "unsanitary"....my gosh, by some of your statements...you sound like my MOTHER when i was a teenager!

(get a haircut, go shave! etc.,etc.etc)

minnesotasmith
12-13-2004, 13:20
"...you sound like my MOTHER when i was a teenager!
(get a haircut, go shave![)]"

Yes, and she wasn't wrong, either.

There are valid reasons for following social mores such as minimal standards of personal hygiene. For example, there is the old observation that negligibly endowed women shouldn't have short hair unless they like being called "Sir" a lot.

Likewise, when people of either sex have multiple blatant large tatoos, women not professional athletes have crewcuts, or guys have hair down to their *ss, etc., they are actually doing potential mates, employers, etc., a favor: they have identified someone probably best passed over by those mates/employers. That is because those of voluntarily grossly deviant appearance are giving a fairly reliable immediately-detectable signal that traditional virtues/behavior/values are deficient or absent in those people. The outward appearance can be proof of that, as those of traditional mindset would likely never consider such pointless defilement of the image they present to the world. Those people may actually be OK as people, but it's a practical, extremely cost-effective approach to improve the odds of successfully selecting for people who live and work in a reliably constructive manner.

How many ambitious doctors, bankers, lawyers, military officers, scientists, engineers, etc., would voluntarily make themselves look like a pincushion, or the wall of a biker-frequented tatoo parlor? Few, I'd venture.

Footslogger
12-13-2004, 13:33
I have a beard. In fact, I've had a beard for more years than I haven't had one.

I grew it for me. I like it. I don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks about it.

I let it go wild during my thru-hike last year. Anyone who remembers me knows what I am talking about. It was one less thing I had to deal with during my hike.

When I got home I trimmed it back, of course that was after everyone got a chance to see it and comment.

I still have a beard. I still like it. I still don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks about it.

If you like beards, want one and have the ability to grow one ...then do it. Don't let the one-sided opinions of someone here at Whiteblaze or anyone else make you mad or cause you to second guess your plans.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

'Slogger
AT 2003

saimyoji
12-13-2004, 13:33
MS, thanks for sending me your post that was deleted. Though some would see the humor in it, many, obviously did not.

We are talking about beards on the trail, right? I've never thru-hiked so I ask: Do many employers or potential mates use the trail looking for a new employee/mate? Wouldn't they expect to find people in a more 'natural' state?

It also occurs to me that (having studied a little history) there have been times in our history when beards were considered noble, a sign of man-hood. Our values have changed since then, most of us are clean shaven. I see an increase in the number of younger people with facial hair, in whatever fashion, over the passed five years or so. Could history be repeating itself?

I must agree with the hygiene part though, as I like to be clean, keep my beard neat and tidy, free of lice, mites, spiders and such. My honey doesn't mind the beard, so long as I keep it 'fuzzy' and not 'prickly.'

minnesotasmith
12-13-2004, 13:47
Some thoughts of mine about the questions you raised:

"It also occurs to me that (having studied a little history) there have been times in our history when beards were considered noble, a sign of man-hood. Our values have changed since then, most of us are clean shaven. I see an increase in the number of younger people with facial hair, in whatever fashion, over the passed five years or so. Could history be repeating itself?"

I think that, outside of backwoods fundamentalist religious groups (e.g., Muslims, Mormon splinter groups, etc.) having their men all grow beards, that a more mundane explanation is in order. Rather, it is an unrestrained (by custom, military service, or economic necessity) rebelliousness, one that started with the under-30 set in the mid-1960's, but continued in the left as time passed.

For a more thorough possible explanation, read up on the most recent historical period of about 20 years that is called an "Awakening" (or, a "Second Turning") at www.fourthturning.com . That period extended from about 1963 - 1984, more or less, and brought beards back in vogue in any large group in America for the first time in America since before WWI. We are currently around the boundary for going from a Third Turning (an "Unraveling") to a Fourth Turning (a "Crisis", ala WWII, Civil War, Revolutionary War, etc.), for those reading this with any interest in historical cycles.

Dharma
12-14-2004, 16:19
If you like beards, want one and have the ability to grow one ...then do it. Don't let the one-sided opinions of someone here at Whiteblaze or anyone else make you mad or cause you to second guess your plans.Amen, Footslogger.

I grew a beard for the first time on my thru hike. When I got back home, I decided to keep it, though I did feel some pressure from 'society' to start shaving again. I'm glad I stuck with what I wanted.

An interesting note.... while hitching alone north of the Mason-Dixon, I always got rides from guys with beards. Don't know if there's some sort of beard-affiliation thing going on there but it was interesting to me.

Rocalousas
12-14-2004, 17:06
I've heard that men grow beards in wartime and times of civil unrest, and go cleanshaven in peacetime when pleasing their corporate employers is most important.

Tha Wookie
12-14-2004, 17:37
I've heard that men grow beards in wartime and times of civil unrest, and go cleanshaven in peacetime when pleasing their corporate employers is most important.
Sounds about right; they shave when there's nothing better to do.

saimyoji
12-14-2004, 18:38
Ignore all those pogonophobes, they're just jealous anyways.

Mags
12-14-2004, 20:15
Sounds about right; they shave when there's nothing better to do.
And some of us shave because having a beard is too much hassle! With my gene pool, I probably grow more facial hair in one day than some of you guys grow in three weeks. ;-) Can't say I shave to please the people where I work because I often walk barefoot all day. Not exactly a high pressure environment. :D

In all seriousness, you guys belly ache because of discrimination based on facial hair..now look what you are doing. Sheesh. It's just fricken facial hair..nothing more (and in my case) nothing less.

Footslogger
12-14-2004, 20:19
And some of us shave because having a beard is too much hassle! With my gene pool, I probably grow more facial hair in one day than you guys grow in three weeks. ;-)

In all seriousness, you guys belly ache because of discrimination based on facial hair..now look what you are doing. Sheesh.==========================
For the record ...I ain't belly aching and I've never suffered any sort of discrimination due to my having a beard. I just think it's a matter of personal preference and shouldn't be defined as "unhealthy" or "unhygienic" by those who prefer not to grow one.

Nuff said ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
12-14-2004, 20:23
I've had a beard for 20 years. What's all the f***en fuss? :)

Youngblood
12-14-2004, 20:40
Twenty years! What do you think you look like? ...bet your face has changed a bit since the last time you saw it.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2004, 20:41
I bet I'm real handsome. :)

ed bell
12-14-2004, 22:22
" A Spartan existance allows one to dwell in a world of ideas and thought rather than waste the time given to you with knick-knacks and furniture." -- Bernard Chapin:-?
Minnesotasmith,
I wonder if Mr. Chapin bothered to dwell on the merits and detriments of deciding to grow a beard. I would think that a razor would fall under knick-knacks, while a bathroom sink and mirror are furniture. Some of us who have beards are dwelling in a world of ideas and thought rather than wasting our time worrying about what others think about our beards. The rest of us who have beards could care less about what you think IMO.

Seraphim
12-15-2004, 15:29
Badge of Courage, bringer of a 'crisis', personal statement, laziness, yada yada... I think beards are sexy (most of the time, especially a HIKER!). I really think they'd be helpful, especially if you're hiking the trail to run from the law and fit in reallllll well with hundreds of people traveling the same direction.... Plus, it's fun watching the boys try to eat without getting it in the nest.

Damn, now I can't remember who said this, but: My beard got so long and bushy that I burned and singed it several times blowing on cooking fires. My pack was duct taped. My smell was one of sweat, smoke, and miles. My body was lean and tough and bug bit. My eyes had the thousand mile stare. I felt at home in the woods. What more can one ask for?

That is why a thru-hiker grows the beard. If I were a guy, I would've. Instead, I grew my leg hair. And armpit hair. I was dirty, smelly, and obviously grotesque to some. And I felt like an animal. I loved it. So f y'all!
:banana

Footslogger
12-15-2004, 16:02
That is why a thru-hiker grows the beard. If I were a guy, I would've. Instead, I grew my leg hair. And armpit hair. I was dirty, smelly, and obviously grotesque to some. And I felt like an animal. I loved it. So f y'all!
:banana
========================

You GO girl ...