PDA

View Full Version : Repelling Gear/Info

mts4602
04-28-2008, 15:45
Does anybody here do any repelling?

Me and a couple other guys did it this past weekend at Red River Gorge in Kentucky and now we'd like to do it some more.

Are there any good websites that give info on repelling, how to tie nots and things like that? We learned how to do it pretty quickly, but obviously there is a lot more to learn.

MTS

insider2185
04-28-2008, 15:58
Indeed, rappelling is a great sport, but I would issue a warning to get proper instruction before you start out on your own especially with anchor building.

Other than that, www.rockclimbing.com (http://www.rockclimbing.com) is a good place to start. Do you have your own gear? As for knots, the main knots to do any climbing are the grapevine knot, figure eight follow through, double figure eight, and the water knot.

Hope you enjoy yourself and have a good time, but just be smart. Rappeling and climbing is not 100% "safe".

le loupe
04-28-2008, 16:07
i used to work as a window cleaner and would rappell down the side of the 10 story hotel tower cleaning windows on my way down. It always drew a crowd.

Bare Bear
04-28-2008, 17:01
AT ? Repelling?

take-a-knee
04-28-2008, 17:39
AT ? Repelling?

Repelling mosquitos is always good.

Foyt20
04-28-2008, 19:25
Who are you trying to get rid of? Ill sell you a repelling helmet for real cheap :D

jniehof
04-29-2008, 13:43
Get a copy of John Long's "Climbing Anchors" and at least flip through "How to Rock Climb!" (particularly the chapter on "Getting Down.") That should get you started on the right track.

mts4602
04-29-2008, 13:47
Thanks for the tips

Blissful
04-29-2008, 15:28
At first I thought this was about Buzz Off garments!

Anyway, you really need the training to do it safely. You can earn a certificate that enables you to lead others. Look for a course with instructors.

troglobil
04-29-2008, 16:42
As a rope rescue technician, I would have to echo Blissfull's comments. You really should get some training from a competent person. Don't trust just anybody who tells you they know all about rappelling, ask about training, certifications, experience. Anybody can connect a figure 8 to a rope and slide down. But what happens if there are problems? Can they rig safely? Can they perform a rescue if nessasary? Do they take proper care of their gear?
To find good people, check out local climbing clubs. You are from Louisville, you might want to contact the Louisville Grotto of the National Speleological Society at
http://www.caves.org/grotto/louisvillegrotto/ There you will find lots of folks who are very familiar with rapelling. They may be more ino using racks rather than 8's because they are more useful in caving, but you can find some of the best rope peolpe in the caving community.
Off the top of my head, books you can read include: CMC rappelling Manual; Vertical by Alan Warlid;On Rope by Alan Padgett and Bruce Smith.

Tinker
04-29-2008, 22:03
Spellcheck fails again! ;)

Jerm
04-30-2008, 12:35
Get a copy of John Long's "Climbing Anchors" and at least flip through "How to Rock Climb!" (particularly the chapter on "Getting Down.") That should get you started on the right track.

Check out the book How To Rappel! by Craig Luebben (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Craig%20Luebben)

It's in the same series as the books already mentioned, but gives good detail on how to back up your belay!

I would also seek out professional instruction. Check out your local climbing gym. Don't take it personal if they give you any attitude. Rock climbers don't see rappelling as a sport in itself, only as a means to getting off the rock!

The Cheat
04-30-2008, 13:06
Spellcheck fails again! ;)

Yeah, but most equipment is repelling once you've sweated on it for a week or two.

weary
04-30-2008, 13:32
Does anybody here do any repelling?

Me and a couple other guys did it this past weekend at Red River Gorge in Kentucky and now we'd like to do it some more.

Are there any good websites that give info on repelling, how to tie nots and things like that? We learned how to do it pretty quickly, but obviously there is a lot more to learn.

MTS
Over the years I've repelled quite a few people. But I've never needed any special equipment. Just a key board and pieces of paper or a computer screen. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Weary

Geo.
05-01-2008, 19:16
Great fun! But as said by others, do it right. Did a fair bit when in the Fire Dept., but always abseiled/rappelled 'backing' into the drop. Had a shot at something they call 'rap jumping' where you face forward into the drop. Very fast technique, you can literally run down the face of a building - quite a buzz but the initial launch, looking straight down is a bit disconcerting!
Couple of pic's that may be of interest...

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa/rap.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa/ab1.jpg
This one was taken on a hike in NZ. Quite convenient, got a shower on the way down. ;)

mts4602
05-02-2008, 16:34
Silly me, I also spelled "knots" wrong..:)