PDA

View Full Version : Trail Vandalism

jugh3ad
04-28-2008, 17:26
Hello everyone! I believe this is my first post here, but I have been reading a little bit as I'm preparing for a 2011 or 2012 thru-hike (after graduation or a year later).

I stayed out at the Russell Field shelter on Saturday 4-26 with Will (bad dinner), jeff, Chaco, and Toe Socks (an older couple) and they pointed out a smiley face that was scribbled onto the shelter in permanent marker:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/jugheadtn/IMG_1452.jpg

It's difficult to say but it says "Wingding Apr 23 08." Apparently "Wingding" is scribbling this all over shelters, rocks, and low branches across the trail - in permanent marker - which angers my shelter mates and many other hikers I'm sure.

I've browsed here a couple of times so I offered to snap a shot and post it in the hopes that other hikers might recognize the graffiti and urge the culprit to stop.

They haven't noticed any shelter register entries signed "wingding" so that's probably not a real trail name.

If you know who this is or where they are, please urge them to use the friggin' registers to post "Have a Nice Day" and draw smileys instead of the trail scenery.

I'm not too sure of the mileages but russell field on 4-23 means they are somewhere around Hot Springs by now (4-28)?

Mods, If this is in the wrong sub-forum I apologize; let me know what I need to do if it's not in the correct location.

Thanks!
- jug

Phreak
04-28-2008, 17:30
Graffiti is the norm in shelters. Just another reason we should torch all shelters. :D

jugh3ad
04-28-2008, 17:54
Hey Phreak; I agree that graffiti is the norm in the shelters. I think the thru hikers I spoke with are more pissed about the drawing on the trail itself (nice rocks and the low branches that cross the trail).

But torch the shelters completely!?!?! Then I'd have to pack a friggin' shelter! :eek: !

- jug

Skidsteer
04-28-2008, 18:09
But torch the shelters completely!?!?! Then I'd have to pack a friggin' shelter! :eek: !

- jug

A joke?

You really should carry your own shelter for a number of reasons. Even if your plan is to stay mostly in trail shelters.

jugh3ad
04-28-2008, 18:13
A joke?

You really should carry your own shelter for a number of reasons. Even if your plan is to stay mostly in trail shelters.

For the most part - in GSMNP I don't carry since the shelters have to be reserved.

Skidsteer
04-28-2008, 18:16
For the most part - in GSMNP I don't carry since the shelters have to be reserved.

What if the shelter is full when you get there? Gonna kick someone out?

I don't mean to call you out but it happens.

buff_jeff
04-28-2008, 18:25
Ah, I hate shelters anyway. If I never stay in one again I'll be happy.

jugh3ad
04-28-2008, 18:26
What if the shelter is full when you get there? Gonna kick someone out?

I don't mean to call you out but it happens.

If I get to a full shelter and I have a reservation, the shelter is full due to 1) more than 4 thru-hikers or 2) someone didn't make a reservation. Either a thru hiker would exit the shelter and set up outside or the non reservation holder would have to leave.

Reply via PM, let us try to keep this thread on topic.

Thanks!

- jug

The Weasel
04-28-2008, 18:41
Shelter graffiti becomes background noise; you don't really see it after a while.

TW

Pedaling Fool
04-28-2008, 19:06
...I think the thru hikers I spoke with are more pissed about the drawing on the trail itself (nice rocks and the low branches that cross the trail)...
- jug
Lost topic. Disregarding the shelters, how much graphiti are you talking about and is it permanent?

jugh3ad
04-28-2008, 19:23
Lost topic. Disregarding the shelters, how much graphiti are you talking about and is it permanent?

From what the hikers I stayed with told me, some is permanent and some isn't. They have seen the drawing on low branches across the trail - which might not last long if the branches fall, but they also mentioned rocks. I forgot the location, but they did mention a specific place (somewhere outside the smokies) where a prominent rock on the trail was tagged and the drawing stuck out like a sore thumb. Permanent markers are being used so it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

- jug

Summit
04-28-2008, 19:25
Carry and use a tent . . . experience REAL backpacking and camping! ;) Not trying to be glib, just stating a truth. :)

Hard to catch the peeps who feel they have to leave their mark wherever they go. I doubt a good confrontational scolding would do much good. I guess you could cut off their writing hand . . . nah! :D :p

Nearly Normal
04-28-2008, 20:34
Hikers who mark their spot.
Those that complain the loudest about canine behavior should really be miffed here.

Singapore has a good punishment method for those who deface property.

elray
04-28-2008, 21:13
I hate the graffiti also and agree with Weasel, you just tend to ignore it. On one of my sections a few years ago it rained hard for nine days straight and those shelters were a welcome sight at the end of a long cold day, even those that were defaced. And of course I carry a shelter, it would be foolish to do otherwise.

Tin Man
04-28-2008, 22:22
I don't even notice graffiti in shelters (or in cities) anymore - it just blends in with the general ugliness of these places. Painted rocks and trees anywhere defaces the natural world and is simply appalling. I hope these vermin are caught or get real very soon.

Blissful
04-28-2008, 22:26
Welcome to White Blaze. We hope to go in 2011, my hubby and I.

You were with the Toesocks? Great! We were with them at Baxter SP. Love to say Hi to them. I have a pic of them in my gallery.

A tent is needed. Believe me, you do not want to stay in a shelter in Ct and Mass. in July. You'll get eaten alive.

BTW - if you want your thread to stay on topic, you need to post it in the Straight Forum. In the General forum, threads always drift.

jugh3ad
04-28-2008, 22:43
Welcome to White Blaze. We hope to go in 2011, my hubby and I.

You were with the Toesocks? Great! We were with them at Baxter SP. Love to say Hi to them. I have a pic of them in my gallery.

A tent is needed. Believe me, you do not want to stay in a shelter in Ct and Mass. in July. You'll get eaten alive.

BTW - if you want your thread to stay on topic, you need to post it in the Straight Forum. In the General forum, threads always drift.

Thanks for the tip Blissful I'll remember that next time.

As for packing a shelter; I've never really liked tents - I overheat in them and can't get a breeze. If bugs aren't that big of a thing I have a siltarp and if I need to be fully enclosed I use a Hennessy Hammock. The hammock is by far the most comfortable for sleeping but so far I've only used in hot summer weather so I don't know how low I can go with it.

Thanks for the replies folks

- jug

Tennessee Viking
04-28-2008, 22:53
If the a-hole is thru hiking, he will coming through my section any day now.

It is mostly people wanting attention or think they can get their giggles off by angering people from marking up the shelters.

Lauriep
04-28-2008, 23:06
A thru-hiker contacted ATC about this vandalism; we contacted the Great Smoky Mountain National Park; the ridgerunners there were alerted and had a discussion with the person doing the vandalism. He promised not to do it again.

If you observe vandalism like this, especially if it's a moving target, report it to ATC at [email protected].

Laurie P.
ATC

jugh3ad
04-28-2008, 23:38
A thru-hiker contacted ATC about this vandalism; we contacted the Great Smoky Mountain National Park; the ridgerunners there were alerted and had a discussion with the person doing the vandalism. He promised not to do it again.

If you observe vandalism like this, especially if it's a moving target, report it to ATC at [email protected].

Laurie P.
ATC

Hey now that's some good news Laurie! Thank you kindly for the information.

- jug

Bob S
04-29-2008, 00:12
They should have made him go back and clean it all off, or face charges.

HugeHill
04-29-2008, 00:17
Thanks to ATC for doing their job. But I agree w/ Bob. This guy should make some type of restitution.

Newb
04-29-2008, 07:22
Free WingDing! Fight the Power!

^^^^ I'm Mr. Controversy today.

MOWGLI
04-29-2008, 07:27
Speaking of vandalism, I found that someone had (freshly) carved their initials (DM) in a tree on the Benton MacKaye Trail above Sandy Gap. :mad:

Anybody know his name? I have an idea, but I think the filters won't allow me to post it here. ;)

Lone Wolf
04-29-2008, 07:28
painting blazes and nailing signs to trees is vandalism

Disney
04-29-2008, 07:32
painting blazes and nailing signs to trees is vandalism

Lone Wolf, always the voice of reason. He's a middle of the road guy who never says anything controversial.:-?

Skidsteer
04-29-2008, 07:51
Speaking of vandalism, I found that someone had (freshly) carved their initials (DM) in a tree on the Benton MacKaye Trail above Sandy Gap. :mad:

Anybody know his name? I have an idea, but I think the filters won't allow me to post it here. ;)

Dances with Mice. That juvenile delinquent. ;)

Digger'02
04-29-2008, 10:46
Wing Ding has been intercepted by GSMNP ridgerunner "good will" with positive results. He pledged to end his defacement of the AT. Lets hope he lives up to his word.

Lone wolf, are you familar with the Japaneese folk tale "Lone Wolf and Cub"? Its a story of a outcast decapitator on the path of Mefumato (the way of the damned) to destroy the Shogun. I think you would like it. Like you, Ogami Itto aka the Lone Wolf is a advocate for the traditional wildnerness managment of recreation trails...probably.

Dances with Mice
04-29-2008, 10:46
Dances with Mice. That juvenile delinquent. ;)Me?! I was just trying to think of two words that start with D & M that the filters won't allow.

jlb2012
04-29-2008, 13:04
besides Dances with Mice would have used:

D/M

errr maybe not - that would be Dances On Mice

MOWGLI
04-29-2008, 15:20
I've met Dances With Mice

MOWGLI
04-29-2008, 15:22
HOI, I served with Dances With Mice: I know Dances With Mice; Dances With Mice is a friend of mine.

HOI, Dances With Mice is no Dumb Motherflower. ;)

Grumpy5280
04-29-2008, 16:38

Dumb Mass

hobojoe
05-13-2008, 22:10
Wing ding was here.....
I counted it 25 times this year. Met up with this middle adged gentleman in hotsprings told him what would happen if he ever wrote on Mountaneer shelter. Signs the registers as P.E.I. now. Also know of a *** eyes who wrote on the GA/NC border sign. Single native american tear....

weary
05-13-2008, 22:19

Laurie P.
ATC

They should have been arrested and fined. Just after we finished the East Branch shelter in Maine. someone defaced it with an indelible pen. We notified the NPS Ranger at Harpers Ferry. He came to Maine, identified the culprits, ordered them to remove the damage -- and I think made them pay damages, but I'm not sure obout the latter.

Weary

Tin Man
05-13-2008, 22:41
I have a sure-fire way to be rid of the shelter blight. All you need is a good accelerant and a match. :D

Lone Wolf
05-14-2008, 01:12
They should have been arrested and fined. Just after we finished the East Branch shelter in Maine. someone defaced it with an indelible pen. We notified the NPS Ranger at Harpers Ferry. He came to Maine, identified the culprits, ordered them to remove the damage -- and I think made them pay damages, but I'm not sure obout the latter.

Weary

shelters are man-made structures. writing in them does nothing damaging to the structural integrity. there is no damage. lighten up. all those cave scratchings by so-called native americans should be called vandalism too

George
05-14-2008, 01:31
Most any lookout that locals visit has been tagged, in some areas it seems to be a right of passage that goes on for generations

ed bell
05-14-2008, 02:35
"Tagging" rocks on lookouts may be "a right of passage", but I've never known or met anyone who thought that was cool. Simple vandalism and worse IMHO than "tagging" a subway car.

Flush2wice
05-14-2008, 08:50
Alcohol stoves do a lot of damage to shelters too.
What happened to the last Roaring Fork shelter? It wasn't very old and the new one has a sarcastic sign about not cooking in shelters.

weary
05-14-2008, 09:24
shelters are man-made structures. writing in them does nothing damaging to the structural integrity. there is no damage. lighten up. all those cave scratchings by so-called native americans should be called vandalism too
So the next time I'm in Damascus you won't mind if I take a spray can to your car and house -- or if you just want vandals to deal only with "public" property, no one will object if I spray some finely chosen words on the municipal buildings.

Weary