PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Forest Project

weary
04-28-2008, 17:31
It's with some trepidation that I post this under trail concernsl. Let's try to discuss it in terms of the issue, rather than as a matter of partisan politics. If we choose the latter, the thread will be shifted to politics and almost no one will get to see it.

Anyway, in the FY09 President’s budget, the Administration proposed drastic cuts to programs funding protection special places across the country. Some highlights of the budget include a $40 million cut for the Forest Legacy program, which conserves private forests and open space; only $43 million for the Land and Water Conservation Fund (a 75% cut from last year, and far below the $900 million authorized annually); zero funding for the Highlands Conservation Act, and a cut of $500,000 from the National Park Service’s Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance program.

Cut was funds to expand the Katahdin Forest, covering a vast forested area south of Baxter Park, which provides important buffers for the Appalachian Trail corridor.

Maine faired a bit better than most. The Machias River Forest Legacy project was one of only three Forest Legacy projects included in the President’s budget, together totaling 300 acres--this out of a total of 82 proposed Forest Legacy projects totaling 400,000 acres across the country.

"Unless Congress provides $120 million for the Forest Legacy Program and $278 million to the federal LWCF, lands worthy of protection in places such as Delaware Water Gap, Sterling Forest, and Katahdin Forest could be developed and lost forever. One hundred twenty-five million dollars is requested for state-side LWCF, which ensures continued partnership with states and local communities for the benefit of “close-to-home” recreation in every state," according to Susan Arnold, Director of Conservation, for the Appalachian Mountain Club.

Let me suggest that one way to help make that happen, is to write your member of Congress and tell them to increase conservation funding in the FY2009 Interior Appropriations bill.
And make the issue more visible locally. Write a letter to the editor of your local paper.

Weary

woodsy
04-28-2008, 19:10
Thanks for the "heads up" weary

SGT Rock
04-28-2008, 19:17
Weary - thanks for this.

I will say this now: I strongly urge people to stay on track with this. As I we can all see how this has a direct effect on lands around the AT I would like to leave this up. I don't want anyone to create issues that turn this into some left vs right debate or anything like that. It would be nice for this to work.

The management (whatever that means)