PDA

View Full Version : ATC Trail Guides

10-K
04-28-2008, 20:19
No offense to SOBO hikers, but does anyone know why the ATC Trail Guides are laid out in a South to North orientation? I was just reading up on the GA-NC section between Springer and Fontana and found it frustrating to have to start in back and work forward - it really screws with the continuity.

All the major trail guides (with the exception of the Appalachian Page SOBO edition) goes in the other direction.

Makes no sense to have the guide go SOBO and the Companion or whatever it is the AT publishes printed in a NOBO orientation.

Lyle
04-28-2008, 22:31
No offense to SOBO hikers, but does anyone know why the ATC Trail Guides are laid out in a South to North orientation?

Basically, tradition I think. For as long as I've known the guides were all arranged N to S. When I used the guidebooks, it became second nature to just read backwards.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it is a hold-over from pre- computerized days when it would have been a bigger task to re-format everything.

How many people actually use the guidebooks on the trail any more. With the Companion, Handbook and Appalachian Pages out now, I wouldn't think many carry the guidebook. More would tend to use them for at-home planning, or for section hikes.

Lone Wolf
04-28-2008, 22:34
but does anyone know why the ATC Trail Guides are laid out in a South to North orientation?

they're laid out in a north to south orientation. SOBO is better

10-K
04-29-2008, 09:40
they're laid out in a north to south orientation. SOBO is better

I'm talking about the Trail Guides - the smallish heavy ones. They go north to south. Evertything else except the SOBO App Pages goes south to north.

Jack Tarlin
04-29-2008, 10:02
SOBO is better?

Well, personally, considering the snowfall we had this past winter (the most since 1873-4), I think some of this year's SOBO's are gonna have some difficulties when this stuff starts to melt. Like streams that are normally waist-high being neck-high, that sorta thing. Oh, the water'll be ice cold, too.

So I'm not sure SOBO is always better. :rolleyes:

Skyline
04-29-2008, 10:38
I think I've read that the reason guidebooks, the DataBook, etc. are written north to south is that the AT's historical roots were up north. Since the Trail's "founding fathers" weren't from Dixie, you kind of get it from their perspective.

Today, at least among thru-hikers, the vast majority start in the south and "walk with spring" northbound. It would make more sense if the guidebooks and DataBook were arranged to match this reality.

-MYST-
04-29-2008, 10:44
I think I've read that the reason guidebooks, the DataBook, etc. are written north to south is that the AT's historical roots were up north. Since the Trail's "founding fathers" weren't from Dixie, you kind of get it from their perspective.You're probably right about that it being originally from the trails founding fathers but I think the ATC hangs on to it in a feeble 'attempt' to 'unload' some of the overpopulation of NoBos in the south during the springtime.

Skyline
04-29-2008, 11:12
[quote=Skyline;609268]I think I've read that the reason guidebooks, the DataBook, etc. are written north to south is that the AT's historical roots were up north. Since the Trail's "founding fathers" weren't from Dixie, you kind of get it from their perspective.

You're probably right about that it being originally from the trails founding fathers but I think the ATC hangs on to it in a feeble 'attempt' to 'unload' some of the overpopulation of NoBos in the south during the springtime.

Hmmmm. I'd never figured that much thought went into it—that it was just a continuation of tradition. But you could have a point. As Jack pointed out, hiking up north in the spring (and this year, probably in the summer) presents myriad challenges you don't often find south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Whoever heard, for example, declaration of an annual "mud season" in a state like Tennessee when the trail clubs admonished hikers to stay off the AT for over a month?