PDA

View Full Version : First batch of trail food = SUCESS!

TFin04
04-28-2008, 20:34
I'm chowing down on some elbow macaroni, ground beef and powdered spaghetti sauce.

I cooked and dehydrated the noodles and beef about two weeks ago. I just got in my Mini bull design Coolfly stove and have my entire kit stored in a medium zip lock storage cup.

The macaroni and beef were simmered for about 8 minutes in my pot (old soup can). Add powdered sauce until tasty and devour.

Oh, my tariyaki beef jerky turned out really well too. Good snack food and good dinner. I'm happy!

Lessons learned:

- I made too large of portions. I could probably cut them in half.
- I'm not super excited about this brand of spaghetti powder. I need to try some others.
- I can cook a hot meal with about a half oz of denatured alcohol. I'm pretty happy about that.

Anyway...back to my dinner! :)

russb
04-28-2008, 21:12
Try making your own "goulash" like you would for dinner and then dehydrate it as a complete meal. To rehydrate cover with water and bring to a boil. No need to dehydrate ingredients separately or use substandard "powders". Once you do this, you will start to dehydrate all kinds of meals. I just recently dried a black bean and barley chili. mmm spicy.

TFin04
04-28-2008, 22:02
Good info, thanks. I like goulash. :)

drivebyjustin
05-02-2008, 13:19
so can you just dehydrate spaghetti sauces? anybody ever done this? how's the taste and consistency after rehydrating?

envirodiver
05-02-2008, 13:22
so can you just dehydrate spaghetti sauces? anybody ever done this? how's the taste and consistency after rehydrating?

I usually dehydrate them to a leather and then just break off pieces and use.

auburnbreeze
05-02-2008, 13:25
I usually dehydrate them to a leather and then just break off pieces and use.

We need to talk more about all of your recipes!

sarbar
05-02-2008, 13:35
Sure! But one note, if you use commercial stuff, avoid those with corn syrup. It takes a lot longer to dry.