PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Mini Filter

austinlowes17
04-28-2008, 20:47
Don't ever buy a Katadyn Mini water filter. Last week while hiking, I had to use it for the first time. After pumping about half a bottle the stupid thing broke. Apparently the plastic it's made out of isn't cut out to handle the pressure. When I talked to Katadyn they said my problem isn't covered in the warranty. So I basically bought a 100 dollar half bottle of water. Anyone know a good filter to replace it?

It turns out I had a little too much to drink. I was told I fell on my tent, which explains the hole in my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 tent fly. Pretty expensive weekend.

Foyt20
04-28-2008, 22:48
Any lessons learned? If drinking stay seated in tent, and pump water BEFORE alcohol :D Sorry to hear about the problems.

Bob S
04-28-2008, 23:26
I have their Hiker model and am very happy with it. Seems well made. When I first got it I wondered about the nipple on it where the hose connects to it, but it’s been about 5-years and I’ve never had a problem with it breaking off.

Feral Bill
04-29-2008, 00:06
I have one that has been very reliable. The problem is the excess force needed to pump water very slowly. I can see a person pushing too hard and breaking it. The MSR Mini is a bit heavy, but works much more easily.

Newb
04-29-2008, 07:23
I just got done hiking 2 weeks with the Sweetwater model. It's a little hard to pump, and it needs frequent cleaning, but it does the job and is uber-small.

paradoxb3
04-29-2008, 16:05
i dont mind a shot after a long day myself, but it sounds to me like if people are having to tell you what happened the previous day, you had a bit too much alcohol. i would agree that drunken clumsiness isnt covered under manuf. warranty. i bet promoting underage drinking isnt a favorite among WB mods either.