PDA

View Full Version : Starting late and hitching

Mighty Mouse
04-29-2008, 12:31
I was supposed to start my NOBO thru a few weeks ago, but had some things hold me back. It looks as though I'll be able to get on the trail 5/5. My only concern w/ the late start is hitching. I'm a woman and already had in my head that I wouldn't have to hitch into towns by myself since there would be lots of other thrus on the trail. Will there still be other thrus leaving at this time? I've never hitch hiked in my life and just don't want to be stupid about it. Should I be so worried about this? :confused:

CaseyB
04-29-2008, 12:49
Steeler-
There will be several section hikers, myself included, as well as a few thrus starting early May. Here is Mountain Squid's list of Whiteblaze hikers & their start dates: http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2008thruhikers

A few of those listed for May are starting in places other than Springer, but I am assuming that there will be many others out there (non-Whiteblaze or just didn't post on the 2008 thread).
That's all the help I can give you. (I started asking hitching- related questions this morning) If you had a phone w/reception in the road gaps you could always call for a shuttle.

bigcranky
04-29-2008, 13:30
I've hitched all times of the year along the trail in the South. Rides are pretty easy to get as long as it's obvious that you are a hiker.

If you hike at a moderate pace, you'll catch up with a lot of the main pack within a month or so anyway. Many thru's start in early to mid April, so you're not that late.

10-K
04-29-2008, 13:54
Me and my 16 year old son are starting May 4th and hiking from Springer to Fontana. If our paths cross you're welcome to hitch in with us.

Blissful
04-29-2008, 15:34
Thankfully you dont have to hitch at all early on. Many hostels, etc run shuttles (the Hiawasee Inn, Ron in Franklin, Hiker Inn at Fontana for example). Many places are right on the trail. Be sure you carry a cell phone though and some change. You'll have to hitch more up north but by then you'll have met other hikers and be more comfortable with the hiker life.

Tennessee Viking
04-29-2008, 17:21
If you can arrange a shuttle or don't mind walking into town, go for that route first. If you plan on hitching, go with your gut. If the person makes you uncomfortable, don't get in. Roan Mtn/Buck Mtn in Tenn is one place you kind of want to look out for.

If you are around Devils Fork Gap/Erwin to Holston Mtn/Damascus, I can help with shuttles. I usually slack hikers to and from Kincora to help out Bob Peoples.