PDA

View Full Version : granola bars

beckyjean
04-29-2008, 15:11
for those of you who eat granola bars for snacks(along with trail mix..and few other snacks).. how many do you pack and eat in a week? or should i ask.. how many in a day..?

Blissful
04-29-2008, 15:37
Wow that really depends. I supplemented with GORP mixes of different varieties and mini candy bards too. I'd think eating multiple granola bars every day would get old fast.

beckyjean
04-29-2008, 15:55
yeah, im thinking 2 a day might be just fine..
that and trail mix..

burger
04-29-2008, 16:18
I eat about 8 oz. of homemade granola each day on the trail, but that ends up being the vast majority of my snacks (rounded out by 1-2 Clif bars and some dried fruit).

Ultimately, though, you're better off thinking about food on the trail in terms of total calories per day. You should pick your individual items and their quantities based on how contribute to your daily total.

beckyjean
04-29-2008, 16:52
im trying to do that too, calorie counting. im helping my husband pack for his backpacking trip next month. he hiked 1/2 the at in 99, and is going back to do some more..(4 weeks worth) last time, he did mail drops, along with picking some things up in towns..
so basically what im doing, is packing 6 days of food, and trying to be realistic, and not pack too much, only so it doesnt go to waste..and not only go to waste, but paying the cost of shipping it..:eek:
i figured its probably harder to get sick of trail mix, than granola bars, so i thought, how about 12 granola bars per week, and 2 quart sized bags of trail mix instead of 1..
along with dried fruit, and some mini candybars..
hmmm.. so much to think about..lol

Appalachian Tater
04-29-2008, 22:05
Definitely better to mix it up, but granola bars are nice for breakfast and an occasional snack.

warraghiyagey
04-29-2008, 22:08
I like granola bars

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 11:12
I just bought a Clif Bar at the grocery store to give one a try.......Good God. :eek: Next to Power Bars it has the most hideous texture of anything I've ever eaten, and the flavor of "chocolate chips and peanut crunch" is completely non-existent. For the same number of calories I'll stick to Snickers. Now I have to go rinse my mouth out with something that will get this awful taste out............

jhick
04-30-2008, 12:09
I just bought a Clif Bar at the grocery store to give one a try.......Good God. :eek: Next to Power Bars it has the most hideous texture of anything I've ever eaten, and the flavor of "chocolate chips and peanut crunch" is completely non-existent. For the same number of calories I'll stick to Snickers. Now I have to go rinse my mouth out with something that will get this awful taste out............

I really hate some of the Clif bar flavors too, but I love the Apricot, Blueberry and the Maple Nut is pretty good. You should try the Clif Mojo Peanut Butter & Pretzel... by far the best thing they make IMO.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2008, 12:57
I really hate some of the Clif bar flavors too, but I love the Apricot, Blueberry and the Maple Nut is pretty good. You should try the Clif Mojo Peanut Butter & Pretzel... by far the best thing they make IMO.

I'll try it. I love Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream - pretzel chunks covered in chocolate and filled with peanut butter. If it's anything like that.....:D

The Cheat
04-30-2008, 13:05

There is a mint chocolate one too, it tastes like a girl scout cookie. Awesome.

Farr Away
04-30-2008, 14:55
Is your husband giving you any feedback on this? Surely he has some sense of the types of things and at least a vague idea of quantities? Everyone I hike with would give you a different answer to your question. Since your husband is the one who is going to be eating the stuff in question, ...

My answer to the question: one granola bar a day; one extra per trip just in case, and an assortment of dried fruit (apricots, craisins, candied ginger, dried pineapple).

You might also want to try changing up the types of granola bars - crunchy, chewy, different flavors, different brands.

beckyjean
04-30-2008, 15:38
oh, he is most definitely giving me feedback on all of this, but he is basically saying "whatever will be fine".. or "im not picky"
when he first hiked the trail back in 99, he ate, pretty much just the bare minimum.. ramen, peanut butter, granola bars.. mac n cheese.. ramen ramen ramen..koolaid..jerkey..etc.
that kind of stuff.. so this time, im doing his food GOOD!! ive been making fbc meals.. jerkey..drying fruit..
just wanted to inquire on the # of granola bars others eat.. basically.

mudhead
04-30-2008, 18:03
I like those Quaker breakfast bars. Have not had them for awhile, as they are more like candy than breakfast.

I doubt you can over feed him.

KnowledgeEngine
04-30-2008, 18:51
ORIGINAL GORP CHECK THREAD
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33229&highlight=gorp+check)
What I like when it comes to granola bars is wal-mart brand chewy peanut sweet & salty bars. However I only eat these for *quick* snacks. Where I don't even want to reach for the gorp sack. I have attached my GORP list, to give you an ideal what I eat for nutrition when it comes to GORP.

1/4 Pound Each-

Large coconut flakes
Almonds-Whole
Macadamia Nuts-Whole
Tamari/Bragg Aminios Pumpkin Seeds - Roasted
Sunflower Seeds - Raw
Almonds Cocoa Dusted (Chocolate Covered, then dusted)
Goji Berries - Dehydrated
Blueberries - Dehydrated (sweetened-all was available)
Carob Spirulina Energy Chunks (kinda like bite size brownie engergy bar pieces)
Brazil Nuts
Bannanna Chips - Crushed into smaller pieces
Chocolate Covered Cystalized Ginger
1/2 Lb

Honey Roasted Peanuts - Organic
12 ounce sack

Milk Chocolate Chips

This trail mix/gorp has been a huge hit on local hikes. It has a three part taste, nutty, chocolately, fruity/berry. In that order of tasting.

I like my mix because it is a good mix of Fat, Fiber, Protein, Antioxidants, Carbs, and simple sugars My average cost is around $8/lb. A little of this goes a long way on the trail for me though. I bought all ingredients except choc. chips bulk @ Whole Foods. Some nutritional yeast flakes & a handful of TVP would be masked in flavor by the other ingredients too for another health boost (haven't tried this--would recommend trying 1/8th cup yeast flakes and 1/4 cup TVP for starters in this mix)

Cherokee Bill
04-30-2008, 19:38
for those of you who eat granola bars for snacks(along with trail mix..and few other snacks).. how many do you pack and eat in a week? or should i ask.. how many in a day..?

:-? These bars are good, but always check the sugar-content. High-Sugar can play havoc with blood-sugar :mad: Remember: 1-gram = 1 teaspoon of sugar ;)

desdemona
05-01-2008, 15:57
I love Kashi bars (only the Trail Mix ones). These are chewy texture-- nuts, some kind of dried fruit. Very tasty, imo, and not too high in sugar and fat.
0 transfats. They aren't really dense (of course, imo, that makes them taste better). I can eat these at work. On the trail I like Odowalla bars. I like Choco-walla and some other flavors. I think these are more energy bars. They are really dense and high in fat.

--des

alauver
05-01-2008, 21:28
kashi makes good stuff, so does balance bar (i think thats the name) the gold kind..kindof expensive but worth it, protein carbs vitamins..all those bars to me taste the same..as for cliff bars i live off those things all have 0 trans fat i think and like 4g sat fat..those numbers might be off if you have a kroger near you go look into the sports nutrition isle, they have like 50 differnt protein/energy bars

Mrs Baggins
05-02-2008, 12:08

Okay, I tried the Mojo Peanut Butter Pretzel. :-? Would be ALOT better dipped in chocolate with a layer of real peanut butter under the chocolate. Other than that, it's okay. Certainly better than that disgusting one I tried to eat the other day :eek:

I do like the Nature Valley Peanut Butter granola bars but they'd be better dipped in chocolate, too. :D

sofaking
05-02-2008, 13:12
mrs. baggins obviously knows the value of a snickers bar...all other bars are mere imitations of chocolatley, nougaty goodness...

johnnyblisters
05-02-2008, 13:32
Granola gets old on the trail quick (mentally). Its nice for breakfast sometimes but as much as I love it, I eat more granola and trail mix at home than on the trail. I agree with sofaking, Snickers are more valuable than gold when your hungry in the woods. I pack at least 1 per day, sometimes 4...

Mrs Baggins
05-02-2008, 13:53
mrs. baggins obviously knows the value of a snickers bar...all other bars are mere imitations of chocolatley, nougaty goodness...

mmmmmm................Snickers......last week while in the Smokys someone told me about a new limited edition Snickers for the new Indiana Jones movie. He said it tasted like it had coconut in it. I've looked in every store in this town and can't find them. Anyone else seen them?????? The limited edition Charged bar seems to be gone already. I really liked that one.

sofaking
05-02-2008, 14:46
chocolately, nougaty, COCONUTTY goodness!:bananaoh my, a whole new can of worms...:-?

sheepdog
05-02-2008, 17:53
mmmmmm................Snickers......last week while in the Smokys someone told me about a new limited edition Snickers for the new Indiana Jones movie. He said it tasted like it had coconut in it. I've looked in every store in this town and can't find them. Anyone else seen them?????? The limited edition Charged bar seems to be gone already. I really liked that one.
Some things just shouldn't be messed with. You can add caffiene to snickers, other than that just leave them alone and pass them to me.:D

beckyjean
05-02-2008, 22:06
well, i guess 2 per day will be fine..any extras he can leave in the hiker boxes..lol. i can imagine one might get sick of eating them all the time.. i get sick of looking at them when im organizing the food..
he likes to dip his in pb..

Fenrir
05-09-2008, 18:55

Yet another reason to love whiteblaze. I go away for a while come back and not only are there still snickers posts, but snickers posts involving current events! :banana

Tipi Walter
05-09-2008, 19:12
I always end up taking granola bars with me and go thru about 2 per day. Over the years I've tried several types:

Bear Valley pemmican/fruit and nut
Kashi bars
Kind brand(PeaceWorks)fruit and nut/apricot and coconut, etc
ThinkGreen brand chocolate things . . . weird
Cliff bars in all combos
Guru-Chews, anyone remember them?
PowerBars(ugh, too sweet and tough in the winter)
Nature Valley chewy trail mix

I want to next try the Larabar. Heard good reports.

The Raven
05-09-2008, 21:35
I'm late to this party, but I usually alternate granola bars with beef jerky and snickers. My favorite bars are ProBars, they average about 300+ calories per bar, they are very moist so you don't open up a bag of crumbled up mess, and you can get sweet/salty combos. Google them to see a list of all the available flavors.

beckyjean
05-09-2008, 22:42
snacks are granola bars.. appx 12 per week, 2 quart ziplocks of trail mix, (mixed nuts, pretzles, and mm's), quart sized ziplock full of jerkey, and mini candybars ex. snickers..
figure he can get extra treats in towns..

beckyjean
05-09-2008, 23:01
snacks are granola bars.. appx 12 per week, 2 quart ziplocks of trail mix, (mixed nuts, pretzles, and mm's), quart sized ziplock full of jerkey, and mini candybars ex. snickers..
figure he can get extra treats in towns..
and i forgot to add.. dried fruit..:)

Tinker
05-09-2008, 23:17
I usually eat 3-4 granola bars per day. Usually one for a snack between breakfast and lunch, one between lunch and supper, one shortly after reaching camp, and maybe one after supper. M&M's mixed with Craisins is my usual gorp. Snacking on the two of them I find I don't tend to crave sweets as much as I do at home.